Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New internet service in Punta Chivato
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 03:10 PM
New internet service in Punta Chivato

I pretty much high jacked the Excede forum so here's one you can all put your ideas and info on.
I really don't know what to call this yet other than new internet service I can't pronounce SYBCOM. This is being offered from a company out of Viscaino.

The above is what is being offered here. They have another system that covers San Bruno that Pescadero mentioned awhile ago. Shari asked if she could get it set up for Asuncion. I can't see why they couldn't provide service to Asuncion and Abreojos. Our antenna is solar powered so if they need a repeater to make the distance they should be able to. I don't know if it will stream Netflex..... yet.
Here's our antenna. I think it's coming from Santa Rosalia. Not sure on that though.

House antenna

Router

and the power & antenna wart. The AC cord is really short so he glue gunned it to the wall.

Excede modem, power supply, router + the new modem

[Edited on 8-2-2017 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 04:08 PM

thanks for starting a new thread...the decent thing to do. I will be following your reports with interest.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 04:43 PM

Thanks Russ for your input, do you know if the cell tower facing south of Mulege is now operational?....

Your morning pics are missed... I hope you're doing well and enjoying the summer in PC.... it's nice, kind of humid and cloudy here in Chula Vista today...

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 06:53 AM

Signed up for Netflex and watched an episode without any problems.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 06:58 AM

great news! I will give him a call...muchas gracias and let us know if there are any issues that come up!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 11:01 AM

So where this tower on the hill is getting the signal from? Cable from Sta Rosa, or does it pick up a weak signal from Sta Rosa and then boosts?

[Edited on 8-3-2017 by Alm]
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 03:46 PM

Thanks, Russ. Will follow to see if any San Juanicans can get it….
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 08:50 PM

Oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am so tired of slow internet.

Thanks for sharing!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 01:27 PM

Russ.. do you know what the internet source is? His equipment is only a point to point beam and antennae. I do the same here to get internet off grid...but Tenet is the source and very slow.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 05:13 PM

Hmmm....so you CAN stream Netflix but it will use up all the allotted bandwidth too quickly? is that the deal?

What I do here with my abysmally slow Telmex internet is I download movies...takes a day to download one to watch offline at night...but it works and is about 350 pesos a month for fixed land line and slow internet.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 09:34 PM

Shari, What's weird is I think it is Telmex or the other company. There is no band width limit and in the last two days If used the heck out of it and only had one burp in streaming. Give them a call. If he can do it and make a buck I think he'll try. If he is using Telmex there may be some other issues to consider.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 09:34 AM

Adrian is using a Telcel signal from Santa Rosalia. I have exactly the same service in San Bruno but we do get an upgraded speed. At some point they may upgrade the speed at Chivato as well. The main advantage for me was no cap on the usage. With Excede and the old Hughes Net you had a cap and if you were not careful you got zapped and went to a very slow speed for the duration of the month or bought more service with Excede. I am using Roku on the TV and I get good quality TV. For Fox News I had to sign up with USTV Now which is a military based relay that brings in US TV to people who are out of the country. But it sure beats SKY for the things I watch and Netflix is easy to use. The download speed is around 5 but the Ping is very fast so it acts like it is coming in at much faster speed since the latency of connection is gone. I have had the chance to meet Adrian and find him a very intelligent and competent guy. He also installs security systems and put a new system in for a friend in Santa Rosalia.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 09:47 AM

Thanks Pescador. That clears up some questions. I think I should be able to set up the security cameras I bought but wouldn't work with my old router. If not I'll catch Adrian when he returns.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Hmmm....so you CAN stream Netflix but it will use up all the allotted bandwidth too quickly? is that the deal?

That would be the case with a sat. They are reselling a cable through Wifi spot. Basically the same as a wireless router in your home fed from the cable, only a little longer range.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 02:34 PM

With mere few GB that senor Slim allows with Telcel plans, I would be surprised if it was a cellular. OR... after you've watched Netflix for 2 hours, you won't get (free) data until the end of the month.

Unless Slim has cut some deal with Netflix, to exclude it from monthly data allowance.

[Edited on 8-5-2017 by Alm]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-5-2017 at 10:31 PM

Not sure how far along these guys are .. On there new satellite and distribution of the new services which the new sat will provide

"ViaSat-2 is a commercial communications satellite which will be the world's highest capacity communications satellite after it becomes commercially available in early 2018 with a throughput of 300 Gbit/s, succeeding EchoStar XIX launched in December 2016.[2] It is the second Ka-band satellite launched by ViaSat after ViaSat-1. The satellite will provide satellite internet through Exede Internet to North America, parts of South America, the Caribbean, and the Atlantic Ocean.

ViaSat-2 was launched on June 1, 2017 by Arianespace from the Guiana Space Centre in French Guiana.[10][11] The launch date was originally set for April 25, 2017 but was delayed due to social unrest affecting the spaceport area.[12][13]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViaSat-2

Exede Internet was launched in 2012 through ViaSat and provides broadband internet to the United States. Exede service is powered by the ViaSat-1 satellite.[1] ViaSat-1 earned the Guinness World Record title for the highest capacity communications satellite.[2] The Exede service currently serves 687,000 customers in the U.S.[3][4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exede

Here's the email for additional information .... exedelistens@viasat.com

This may become a useful source for satellite internet customers .. phones too ?

Appears they need a little work

https://community.exede.com/exede

[Edited on 8-6-2017 by wessongroup]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 11:15 AM

No, I said Tercel, but meant Infinitum. Which is hardwired to the first relay in Santa Rosalia. We have a dish at San Bruno which picks up the signal and rebroadcasts it. The Chivato tower is the same deal and that is why Adrian had to find a high spot. One of you techie guys can probably explain why, but the Ping is very fast compared to Satellite which makes for faster usage on most things. With Excede I got as high as 12 mbps, but with Infinitum I get around 4 to 4.5 but things load much faster and I get less problems with the slower download. Upload is a little faster, but the big difference is the Ping.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 11:40 AM

What you're getting is probably TelMex DSL that he is splitting and sending to you via a WAN. The reason he can "sell" it so cheap is that he probably is selling the same signal to other people as well. If it is shared by too many it will slow the speed if all are using at once. You should be getting about 5 mbs down and 0.5 mbs up. You can get up to 25 miles on that equipment as long as it is LOS.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 11:53 AM

I think I have this right:

Ping measures how fast a tiny amount of info can get from your computer to the server you're pinging and back, network latency. To use a pipe analogy, how clear or obstructed the opening is. Bandwidth measures how much info is transmitted per second, the diameter of the pipe. A fast ping connection with a lower bandwidth may load a page faster than a slow ping connection with higher bandwidth. I imagine a satellite system will have higher latency (slower ping) than a non-satellite system. Is that what you're seeing?

[Edited on 8-7-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2017 at 09:12 AM

That is the way I saw it. I really love Excede Satellite and Osiris from Baja Satellite Norte is a good friend. If there is nothing else available it is one of the best alternatives around. Bob and Susan on Conception bay have two systems set up. I would still have it but I am a high user of data and when the Infinitum became available in San Bruno, I switched. I think the point I was making is that when you measure speed with OOKLA, you will get some numbers, but they are only a reflection of the whole picture. Yes I am getting around 4Mbps download but I load things and watch more You-tube than I was able to do with Excede at 12 to 16Mbps. I think that is directly related to the latency of the satellite vs a radio signal traveling over the ground.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.