BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Northern states best for viewing eclipse
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 05:43 PM
Northern states best for viewing eclipse

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/northern-states-best-for-see...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 06:08 PM

I have M's 1991 eclipse photos from Baja Sur, that include Nomad Graham Mackintosh, who was there: http://vivabaja.com/eclipse

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 06:56 PM

We will be in Casper Wyoming USA :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 07:10 PM

My daughter is in culinary school in Bend, Oregon, so close to the "sweet spot." Hubby and I planned an Alaska trip before we knew about the eclipse :( Oh well, we will have to pay attention for the next one!

I was lucky enough to see a total eclipse in New Jersey 1969.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 08:38 PM

Grand Island Nebraska for me and friends. Started making arrangements 9 months ago. Already have chairs, shirts, and glasses. Going to get some Coronas to view the corona!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 08:56 PM

If you want a shirt, google "eclipse shirts". There must be thousands of them!! Here`s my taco eclipse shirt (representing Baja)!!
Oh yeah, flag glasses for the great American eclipse!!

shirt.PNG - 109kB

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have M's 1991 eclipse photos from Baja Sur, that include Nomad Graham Mackintosh, who was there: http://vivabaja.com/eclipse

I have a VHS video when we went down in '91 - almost 7 minutes of totality was surrealistic - I need to edit the tape into something watchable. We viewed the eclipse on the East Cape.

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2017 at 03:15 PM

David and others, I too, was there on the East Cape in 91 on our small group of homes. We had a group of astronomers stay on our property from near Santa Cruz, who set up several telescopes on the rings of Saturn [spectacular] and some others planets. It was a blast to have them there imparting their knowledge for the asking.

There were several dozen of them who camped out for a few days and we all ended up with some great photos of the eclipse that they took.

The shimmering and almost vibrating of the atmosphere over the landscape was a trip, as we watched it spread over the desert. The birds went completely silent. It was almost meditative in nature.

I ended up watching most of the eclipse through my binoculars, laying flat on the ground with the appropriate lens cover to prevent eye damage.

I have never posted photos, so that is out of the question. Maybe some others who were there at the time can. It is a palpable, unique experience to witness a total solar eclipse. Don't miss it if you can go.

Thanks to all here.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 05:17 AM

Living in the Seattle area we have decided to live with our 81% and sip beverages from the front porch

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by acadist  
Living in the Seattle area we have decided to live with our 81% and sip beverages from the front porch

Interesting comment made on Science Friday the other day that went something like this ...

....even at 95% you do not get anything near 95% of the experience...

So for me it will be Eastern Oregon, somewhere along the path of totality.

Also they said that not all eclipses are the same, it depends on the location of the moon, sometimes the moon is further from earth during the eclipse and you will still have a band of light shining from around the moon... not this one they say, the moon should completely cover the sun I believe
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by acadist  

Interesting comment made on Science Friday the other day that went something like this ...

....even at 95% you do not get anything near 95% of the experience...

So for me it will be Eastern Oregon, somewhere along the path of totality.

Also they said that not all eclipses are the same, it depends on the location of the moon, sometimes the moon is further from earth during the eclipse and you will still have a band of light shining from around the moon... not this one they say, the moon should completely cover the sun I believe

An Annular Eclipse is when the moon covers MOST of the sun but leaves the edges uncovered leaving a ring (or annulus) of the sun around the edges.

On 8/21 those of us fortunate enough to be on the center line will experience a TOTAL Eclipse. I am very much looking forward to it. There is no comparison between a partial and total eclipse. It's like reading the menu at a great restaurant and not ordering. The wife saw the 1991 eclipse in Baja and we together saw one in Zambia in 2001 and another in Egypt in 2006. The fact that we can drive to this one is really nice. One of the most amazing things is looking for the shadow of the moon coming at and by you at 1600 miles per hour as totality hits. Then you get to take off your protective eye ware for the 2:38 of totality and see the corona, and Bailey's beads and the diamond ring effect. Planets become visible, stars come out, the temperature drops, birds go quiet. Of course if its cloudy you don't get to see a darn thing. :lol:

April 2024 is the next one to hit North America. Not too early to start planning a trip to Mexico. :saint:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Ap...

We are already making plans for a trip to the Atacama desert in 2019.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2019Ju...

MAGA

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 05:23 AM

BTW if any of you photograph, you can stack ND Grad filters for safe viewing. I did that for a partial eclipse about 7 years ago and it worked very well. I think I had a 60, a 90 and a 30!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 08:48 AM
Albert Einstein and Total Solar Eclipses

https://www.wired.com/2009/05/dayintech_0529/

"1919: During a total solar eclipse, Sir Arthur Eddington performed the first experimental test of Albert Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

The findings made Einstein a celebrity overnight, and precipitated the eventual triumph of general relativity over classical Newtonian physics."

----------------------------

Take your astronomical measuring gear with you.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 09:39 AM

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

www.eclipseglasses.com

Be safe. Have fun!

MAGA

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 02:46 PM

Video: Total Solar Eclipse July 11, 1991

The decision was made: drive to the tip of Baja to watch one of the longest solar eclipses ever: totality for six minutes, 53 seconds. The sun’s shadow traveled over Hawaii and then Baja California — most eclipse fans opted for traveling to Hawaii which was overcast during the eclipse.

Eric and I camped near Punta Colorado on Baja’s East Cape to wait for the noon event. We’d done our homework on what to see, what to expect, but nothing prepared us for the sensations during the eclipse: much cooler, a noon-time sky with stars, and dusk 360º along the horizon. To say “surrealistic” would be an understatement.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 03:23 PM

Four or five years ago, I was able to watch a near total eclipse at my Northern CA residence.

A phenomena that I did not expect, was in the shady areas under the oak trees. Anywhere that was partial shade was covered with hundreds of small crescent shaped rings of light, matching the thin crescent of the sun left exposed.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 03:54 PM
Attracted to Daytime Darkness

Some people are easily entertained.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 04:48 PM

The shadow of this 1991 eclipse hit land first in Hawaii, then Baja, then continued southeast into Central Mexico, and onward into Central America.

Many Spanish language news stations tracked the progress with frequent updates and celebrity interviews in various exotic locations- very entertaining!

My group observed it in the beach town of Tamarindo, Costa Rica, on a remote beach in the Nicoya Peninsula. No celebrities joined us -in fact, there were very few tourists around in this area 25+ years ago. We saw more goats/cows than people.

We had rented a 4WD vehicle in San Jose, since the only road on the peninsula was dirt that was shared with ranchers moving their cows and goats. So it was mostly local Ticos who joined us for the observance.

As we stood outside enjoying the strange mid-day darkness, the sudden quiet of the tropical birds, and the appearance crescent shadows and stars stars, many of the locals remained inside, watching the coverage on televisions.

It seemed to take some of them a minute or two to realize the total eclipse they were seeing on TV news was the same one we were admiring out on the beach.

Pura vida!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Video: Total Solar Eclipse July 11, 1991

The decision was made: drive to the tip of Baja to watch one of the longest solar eclipses ever: totality for six minutes, 53 seconds. The sun’s shadow traveled over Hawaii and then Baja California — most eclipse fans opted for traveling to Hawaii which was overcast during the eclipse.

Eric and I camped near Punta Colorado on Baja’s East Cape to wait for the noon event. We’d done our homework on what to see, what to expect, but nothing prepared us for the sensations during the eclipse: much cooler, a noon-time sky with stars, and dusk 360º along the horizon. To say “surrealistic” would be an understatement.

Beautiful! Nicely done, esp. given the '90s technology.
Agreed- the quiet birds, the stars at midday, the strange shadows.... very surreal experience.

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.