Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Northern states best for viewing eclipse
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2017 at 03:53 PM

OK, it's a bump.

I'm sorta regretting I didn't make plans to see totality; i.e., being in the umbra instead of the penumbra.

So, in seven years, April 8th, 2024, I'm going for umbra, Mazatlan is the place.

Please don't take umbrage with my desire for the umbra.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2017 at 05:47 PM

Denver 93% close enough. Grand Island, NE and Casper, WY was booked. Next time.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2017 at 06:34 PM

We're in Cody, Wy. camped in our 5th wheel. We just have ro drive south 115 miles to the center of totality for a day trip south of Thermopolis, easy peasy. RV park charged their regular rate and no crowds to contend with. We took a day trip to Yellowstone via the Beartooth Scenic byway two days ago and saw tons of bison some within 25', a red fox, antelope, and a momma Grizely with two cubs...a steller wild life day.

Life is good.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-19-2017 at 06:45 PM
It's JUST like the Super Bowl

Or, any other like event.

The BEFORE and AFTER are more significant.

Anticipation and regurgitation.

You "might" see it better in the TV coverage, but who can brag (or construct fantasy) about that ?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 07:54 AM
90 minutes of totality

An experiment to study the corona:

http://eclipse2017.nso.edu/citizen-cate/

"For the Citizen Continental-America Telescopic Eclipse (CATE) Experiment, scientists, students and volunteers will track the Sun using 68 identical telescopes, software and instrument packages spaced along the 2,500 mile path of totality. Each site will produce more than 1,000 images. ....

The resulting dataset will consist of an unprecedented 90 minutes of continuous, high-resolution, and rapid-cadence images detailing the Sun’s inner corona – a region of the solar atmosphere typically very challenging to image."

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
We're in Cody, Wy. camped in our 5th wheel. We just have ro drive south 115 miles to the center of totality for a day trip south of Thermopolis, easy peasy. RV park charged their regular rate and no crowds to contend with. We took a day trip to Yellowstone via the Beartooth Scenic byway two days ago and saw tons of bison some within 25', a red fox, antelope, and a momma Grizely with two cubs...a steller wild life day.

Life is good.

Nice!
Mom was born in Cody!
Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Only 60% coverage here in North San Diego and it is clouded over near the coast to inland valleys still.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 09:37 AM
The EXCITEMENT is OVERPOWERING

WOW.

The first LIVE video (from Oregon) on NBC shows an Orange circle with a Black crescent in the upper right cutting into the Orange circle.

What could be BETTER ?

Not even Grass Growing measures up.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 02:12 PM

Hey folks,

I've got the most exciting and best video of the eclipse EVER...

U2U me with you cell phone # to get a text.

or, send your email address for and email.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 03:37 PM

Well, it's just an event that doesn't happen often for most of us. Here, with 60% coverage, the morning clouds did burn away and then the sky darkened to about what sunglasses do, very cool. I remember the '91 eclipse that was darker here and you could feel the air get cooler.

So not a big event being a partial or the more recent annular eclipse before sundown here in San Diego. How about we hear from others or anyone who was in the path of totality?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
WOW.

The first LIVE video (from Oregon) on NBC shows an Orange circle with a Black crescent in the upper right cutting into the Orange circle.

What could be BETTER ?

Not even Grass Growing measures up.

On no, not Orange............

Checked out my Youtube live feeds and the one for the eclipse was a totally black screen with somebody interviewing somebody else about how dark it is. :lol:

I guess you had to be there.

It is interesting that the corona, the sun's atmosphere, is hotter higher up than at the surface of the sun. Nobody knows why, yet.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 04:20 PM

I'm sorry I just can't or didn't get worked up over the black out. To me it's just another dumb event like Y2K. I'll watch the news tonight for all the earth shacking details and get 90 million opinions of this great event in the history of man kind. NOT
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 04:25 PM

All the news stories are/were a somewhat pleasant break from the usual, which is getting really boring.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I'm sorry I just can't or didn't get worked up over the black out. To me it's just another dumb event like Y2K. I'll watch the news tonight for all the earth shacking details and get 90 million opinions of this great event in the history of man kind. NOT

crikey! you have to be a real real stick in the mud to be spitting on the eclipse. we are going to rename you "debbie downer."
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 04:48 PM

The best story I heard about the eclipse is that way back when a measurement was made of a star position that could only be made during an eclipse that offered the first empirical evidence of Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

Beam me up, Scotty.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 06:56 PM

Totality awesome in Grand Island Nebraska.
Eclipsed expectations.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 07:31 PM

The eclipse was only a 45% coverage in Anchorage, viewable only from an aircraft above the rain clouds!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 07:35 PM
A PREDICTION come TRUE !

Having viewed little of the coverage, I thought amusing one interview of two Fat gals that showed up in the zone.

The one saying that it was SO GREAT to be a part of a prediction !

"It's SO exciting. We hear these "predictions", but we don't KNOW it's true until it happens."

I suppose that she thinks the same of the dawn.
satmike
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 08:08 PM
I went

I went up to Boysen Res. in Wy. and it was spectacular. Traffic was better than TJ on a medium day
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 08:49 PM

I am currently working on the Whitewater fire at Hoodo Ski Area Lodge. We were in the path of totallity and it was an amazing gift that was shared with us today. Had my Radio in one hand and watched through my special glasses. What a day.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2017 at 09:17 PM

We saw it. Awestruck. Inspiring. Indescribable. If you haven't seen a TOTAL eclipse you don't know and no one can really explain it. You have to see it for yourself. I can tell you about the temperature dropping 10 degrees, or seeing planet Venus at 11:42 AM, or the diamond ring effect at 2nd and 3rd contact, or Baileys beads or seeing prominences shooting off the suns surface a million miles or having a 360 degree sunset but It's like trying to convey the feeling when you get to touch a whale or the maybe the first time you had sex. April 2024 it will be back to North America. 2019 we will be in the Atacama desert with the hopes of clear skies.
Different strokes.
A partial eclipse is a sight to see but there is no comparison to TOTAL. Two distinct experience. Kind of like starting the Baja 1000 then crashing out at the first turn. IMHO.
YMMV.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.