Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Northern states best for viewing eclipse
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 05:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
We saw it. Awestruck. Inspiring. Indescribable. If you haven't seen a TOTAL eclipse you don't know and no one can really explain it. You have to see it for yourself. I can tell you about the temperature dropping 10 degrees, or seeing planet Venus at 11:42 AM, or the diamond ring effect at 2nd and 3rd contact, or Baileys beads or seeing prominences shooting off the suns surface a million miles or having a 360 degree sunset but It's like trying to convey the feeling when you get to touch a whale or the maybe the first time you had sex. April 2024 it will be back to North America. 2019 we will be in the Atacama desert with the hopes of clear skies.
Different strokes.
A partial eclipse is a sight to see but there is no comparison to TOTAL. Two distinct experience. Kind of like starting the Baja 1000 then crashing out at the first turn. IMHO.
YMMV.

Watched it in Cascade Idaho for the first time and I agree with the above. I was surprised at how bright the sun was at 95-99% blockage. At 66 years of age, I thought I pretty much lost the feeling of wonderment I see in my grand son's eyes from time to time, but it came back yesterday. All over the universe, rocks are casting shadows on other rocks, but as far as we know, only here does anyone care about it. If I am alive in 2024, I'm going to go again.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 06:13 AM

On a scale of 1 to 10, a partial eclipse is a 3, a total eclipse is a million!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
We saw it. Awestruck. Inspiring. Indescribable. If you haven't seen a TOTAL eclipse you don't know and no one can really explain it. You have to see it for yourself. I can tell you about the temperature dropping 10 degrees, or seeing planet Venus at 11:42 AM, or the diamond ring effect at 2nd and 3rd contact, or Baileys beads or seeing prominences shooting off the suns surface a million miles or having a 360 degree sunset but It's like trying to convey the feeling when you get to touch a whale or the maybe the first time you had sex. April 2024 it will be back to North America. 2019 we will be in the Atacama desert with the hopes of clear skies.
Different strokes.
A partial eclipse is a sight to see but there is no comparison to TOTAL. Two distinct experience. Kind of like starting the Baja 1000 then crashing out at the first turn. IMHO.
YMMV.

Watched it in Cascade Idaho for the first time and I agree with the above. I was surprised at how bright the sun was at 95-99% blockage. At 66 years of age, I thought I pretty much lost the feeling of wonderment I see in my grand son's eyes from time to time, but it came back yesterday. All over the universe, rocks are casting shadows on other rocks, but as far as we know, only here does anyone care about it. If I am alive in 2024, I'm going to go again.

All of the above! Well put you two. We were near Weiser ID and were equally awed. See you guys in 2024, Mazatlan!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 08:00 AM
OK - But Did You WEEP ?

According to the news coverage, millions were so overcome with emotion that they WEPT !

Unsaid was whether they were laughed at.

As they would have deserved.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
According to the news coverage, millions were so overcome with emotion that they WEPT !

It just shows how stupid people can be.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
I am currently working on the Whitewater fire at Hoodo Ski Area Lodge. We were in the path of totallity and it was an amazing gift that was shared with us today. Had my Radio in one hand and watched through my special glasses. What a day.

Hi Connie, your smoke didn't make my day. I went out to the north end of Green Ridge Sunday evening, about 15 miles NE of you, and couldn't see Mt. Jefferson across the valley. I ended up bailing to the east down into the desert rimrocks and sat on the edge of a canyon. Different view than what I wanted but impressive nonetheless.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 10:06 AM

GREAT REPORTS!!

elgatoloco, glad you posted... I remember how much you and Barb enjoyed the '91 event and that you were going to try and go to eclipses anywhere they occurred.

I set the DVR to record NASA TV coverage. Seemed like the point of totality and the diamond ring effect where the most pleasing.

The La Paz/Cabo eclipse of '91 comments I recall was more about the 360° twilight effect on the horizon and the coyotes that began to howl, etc. Maybe it was a Baja thing and not one you could get with mobs of people around?

Atacama should be ideal!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 10:33 AM
Atacampa

There is a pretty good chance of clear skies, it is the driest place on Earth! Average annual rainfall is .004 inches per year

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 03:18 PM

We watched it, exact dead center of the eclipse, about 30 miles north of Paducah, KY. We were on a small farm road and didn't have to share the eclipse with any neighbors. There is nothing I can add which others haven't said, but totality is off-the-charts spectacular: Dusk 360º, stars, big drop in temperature, etc. and the corona around the black dot is indescribable. 2:40 of totality.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2017 at 09:03 PM

I just got home a few hours ago.

It was amazing!

I watched it from high atop Horse Heaven Mtn between Ashwood and Mitchell out in Eastern Oregon just 3 miles north of the center line.

The naysayers on here are really ill informed, or lack imagination, or are just ignorant of the experience of a total eclipse.

Am I going to spend all my money and time to see every eclipse possible? No, but assuming I am alive and able I will go see the next one in 2024.

It was truly amazing experience, watching a 'sunrise' and 'sunset' like sky in the east and west, both before and after the event.

6 times in one day the sky on the horizon looked like the sun was either setting or rising depending on which direction I turned, like living on some other world with two suns or something.

Seeing what looked like a hole in the sky, it was something worth seeing, not to mention the 3 Elk antlers I found while hiking up and down that mountain 3 different times was just icing on the cake.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 07:08 AM

Sweet!!!:bounce::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 09:10 AM

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting breathlessly to hear you two describe your thoughts when you experienced in person a total solar eclipse. :saint:

y2k? WTF? :lol::dudette:
SOS

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

It just shows how stupid people can be.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 09:14 AM

I thought it was kinda like watching paint dry...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 09:25 AM

I'm sorry but I can't get excited about the moon coming between the earth and sun. For people that are interested in that kind of stuff good, I'm glad you like it. I still see it as another Y2K type event. More for the media to rally the forces for that actually being anything note worthy just so the media has something to crow about, that is what airhead reporters do.

Y2K was such a bunch of crap. Companies spend millions for upgrades that didn't need to be. At the time my corp. president asked me what I thought and I told him it was BS we didn't have anything affected by the time change and as it turned out we didn't. I have a friend who was a computer expert working with several banks and he told them up front not to worry but they wanted the upgrades anyway and he made about a million dollars doing so. He was happy they didn't take his advice.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 09:49 AM

Chile & Argentina will have one in 2018 & 2019, kind of thinking I might need to see South America a couple times in the next couple of years.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Chile & Argentina will have one in 2018 & 2019, kind of thinking I might need to see South America a couple times in the next couple of years.

hold off until the 2020 event and be there for DAKAR a couple weeks later! :D
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I'm sorry but I can't get excited about the moon coming between the earth and sun. For people that are interested in that kind of stuff good, I'm glad you like it. I still see it as another Y2K type event. More for the media to rally the forces for that actually being anything note worthy just so the media has something to crow about, that is what airhead reporters do.

Y2K was such a bunch of crap. Companies spend millions for upgrades that didn't need to be. At the time my corp. president asked me what I thought and I told him it was BS we didn't have anything affected by the time change and as it turned out we didn't. I have a friend who was a computer expert working with several banks and he told them up front not to worry but they wanted the upgrades anyway and he made about a million dollars doing so. He was happy they didn't take his advice.

Surprised to see this coming from you, TMW, why do posters on this board feel the need to pee on others parade

If you, and others, do not like something posted here then refrain from posting a response.

I thought it was amazing, exceded my expectations. Shared here and you and others are negative about it?

I find it hard to believe that if you were in a social gathering with others you do not know very well if you say the same thing. Or would smile and politely say, "That is cool, glad you enjoyed it." Or something to that effect.

Or would you be negative and say what you said here?

Plenty of hate in this world already, so all you guys just keep it up and shows us how 'tough and worldly' you are, because someone that talks as some of do just shows how weak they are to attack or belittle others and/or their experience.

Almost done with this board.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
I am currently working on the Whitewater fire at Hoodo Ski Area Lodge. We were in the path of totallity and it was an amazing gift that was shared with us today. Had my Radio in one hand and watched through my special glasses. What a day.

Please check your u2u. My wife is also working that fire, but she gets rotated off today.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 03:01 PM

Where is a goodplace to get a Mani-Pedi in El Rosario? must have secure parking and exchange rate...and speak english..

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-26-2017 at 06:00 PM
The GREATEST Eclipse in History ?

It has now been confirmed (by Kellyanne Conway ?) that this latest Eclipse exceeded any previous Eclipse under ANY previous President.

And would NEVER have been possible under Obama.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.