Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mini Split A/C in BCS
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2017 at 04:47 PM
Mini Split A/C in BCS

Questions. I know this has been posted before but... I need recomendations on best brands and size A/C Unit for a small house, approx 120 sq Meters--living room/kitchen and 2 bdrms. I have 220 electric and don't want to short size. 1 Ton or 2? Trane, Carrier, LG?? We are located in BCS so I can purchase in any major store. I especially remember the full time group from Loreto posting/ expressing preferences! Anyone here living fulltime. Can you help me out, por favor?! Prices don't seem too outrageous. Thanks in advance. Tomas

[Edited on 8-8-2017 by tiotomasbcs]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-8-2017 at 05:32 PM

you have about 1300 sq feet
I have 800 sq feet

my 2 one ton units are barely good enough for this summer heat

don't rely on data the manufacture provides...baja is a "special" place when its HOT!!!

I would get 3 one ton units and put the blowers in 3 locations in the house to provide cooling

buy one that heats too ...for the winter

spend the $$$ once and be done

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2017 at 05:39 PM

What ever you get make sure its inverter ac. They cost a little more but save 30 to 40 percent in energy costs. I´m switching now.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 07:58 AM

If you are a DIY guy the I would recommend would get on line for sizing. Plenty of help there.
What ever brand the local AC guy sells & installs would always be the best one. Just make sure If you do the install that there is a local service guy that can deal with the brand you have.
The things are all pretty reliable, but little quirks will require the installer for a tweak or charging. Best way to choose is to consult with locals that have them in use.
There are big difference between brands on how the remote works and some are better than others. If you get a Latin America targeted unit expect to get an all Spanish manual with crazy wording that is pretty unfamiliar to a gringo. Especially after you translate the thing. This issue is not to be under stated.
Yes Inverter compressors are used in most units. Just ask the installer/seller which units he is using then consult the manufacturers web site for tech details.
Several years back the inverter compressors became standard here in the states. They are found in refrigerators, freezers and all kinds of AC units. Even my portable Frig has an inverter AC/DC compressor.
PW
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 08:11 AM
LG and Home Depot

Occasionally Home Depot has "free" basic installs of Mini Split units. Neighbor purchased an LG Inverter (A/C and heat) unit and had Home Depot do the install.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 09:02 AM

Our off grid home is about the size and layout of yours. We have a one ton Mitsubishi in each bedroom and a 1.5 ton Trane in the living/kitchen area. The one tons work great in the bedrooms, but the 1.5 doesn't quite cut it in the big room. Wish we had a 2.0.

I never run them all at once on solar. Sometimes a bedroom unit and the living room together on a sunny day. If I want to cool the whole house, on comes the genny and I run them all with doors open between rooms.

Looking forward to replacing them all (even though they have worked for ten years flawlessly) with inverter units when I heal from my recent battery replacement $$$$$$$. That way I can run more AC longer in the day.

They key is to get the room chilled and keep it that way. I can do that with one bedroom, running the unit most of the time, but cannot run the 1.5 ton all day with my power limitations. So the room never gets cold like the bedroom where you walk in and feel the cool floor on your feet.

Spend the dough and go big for your living room. You will be glad you did. After all, life in BCS need not be an endurance contest.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 10:18 AM

I had three Mitsubishi splits in about 1200 sq ft.casa. Twp 1 ton and 1 two ton. that I can not run all the same time it gets to cold.
I'm down to two splits that both survived two floods. One only survived one flood so for my money I'm very happy with the mits.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 10:27 AM

Minisplit with inverter may easily cost 20-30% more than a regular minisplit, but I think it's worth it. Prices in Baja stores suck. Lesser brand without heat pump in Coppel costs at least as much a better brand with heat NOB, and Baja Home Depot is more expensive yet.

For a total area 1,300 sf you need about 45,000-50,000 BTU, this is 3 or 4 tons total. BTU Calculator: http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html

[Edited on 8-9-2017 by Alm]
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 10:41 AM

Tomas,
I just finished my little house here in Centenario, BCS, and followed my A/C guys recommendation to use Rheem inverter models. 1 ton = $8700.00 Mex and 2 ton $15,000.00 Mex.
The construction/design is a large part of being efficient for cooling & heating, and will figure into the size and location of the A/C units.
My house features a double block wall construction with a 2" foam insulation between the blocks, and an insulated ceiling as well. The windows and sliding doors have dual glazing in PVC frames.
All rooms cool down very fast, and stay very comfortable at 26C during this 38C daily weather.
So, it is not only the room size, but also the construction type to be considered in choosing the right A/C units......
Good luck,
Karl
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 10:58 AM

tomas, i just installed 2 LG mini splits here in pesky. costco has great prices on the LG inverters. they did't have the 1.5 ton i wanted so i got that one at homedepot. luis arroyo from todos did the install. let me know if you want luis' contact info. its nice to sleep cool.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 12:03 PM

I installed 4 Trane mini splits a little over 20 years ago, very costly, I'm only replacing due to remotes no longer working or with universals either.
Mitsubishi is one of the best I believe, very quiet, but also twice the price of others.
I just replaced my 2 1/2 ton living room with a 3 ton inverter type, Intensity brand, wifi capable, and it's also a heat pump, cool and heat, 16 seer, about $28,000p installed.
A 1 ton inverter for a bedroom was around $11,00p.
Also, if your going to switch from R-22 to R-410 gas you will have to change your piping from the compressor to the fan coil which can be a major pain and adds to the labor cost, and in some cases you must rethink your ac compressor and fan locations because of this.
Even with the more expensive heat pump I still paid about 50% less per ton than when I built my house.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 01:52 PM

Thanks, Amigos. Lot's of good info to digest and investigate. We do have an installer who will be here this week. Luis Arroyo, Bob; satisfied with his work? U2U me. Living room isn't large but long, hot summer days mean I want it nice and cold! Small bedroom. I have lived full time BCS almost twenty years but usually went car/camping nob in summers. Last summer, in Pescadero, was unusually cool for August, sept/Oct. Much hotter and humid already! Thanks again. Tomas
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 04:03 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-Tropi-Cool-4-75-Gal-887-Whi...

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 04:08 PM

Tinacas - by sheer coincidence the local store only had a beige-colored one. Forgot the price, but from what I was told in another village store that didn't have any, beige costs the same as black.

Saved me pains of painting. Locals assured me that color helps very little. I confirmed that it still warms up on a sunny day in winter, hardly enough to avoid the propane use, and for an evening shower in winter I always need a propane because it cools down minutes after sunset. Will likely need to put a simple shack over it, for summer, to make it at least tolerable.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 11:39 AM

There is very little solar gain (on tinaco) in winter. Though mine is light-beige, not black. You'll still need propane for shower in the morning and in the evening. And half the time in the middle of the day too, - if one's lifestyle mandates a mid-day shower, probably not everybody. So - permanent cover all year round, with propane in winter.

The only "free" water heater in winter is a solar heater, and it still doesn't work early in the morning and after sunset, cools down too fast. On a grey day it works so-so.

I also heard a suggestion to bury the tinaco, not sure about this. That little pump might struggle, pulling from minus 5 ft to plus 8.

Shading the South-West walls makes sense. too bad they made cardon harvesting illegal.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 12:05 PM

don't put the tinacos in the ground...they get old and brittle and crack...

then they are a pain to replace

put them where they can be "serviced"

as for heaters...I found 12 gallon propane units are the best
they heat really fast

I use 35kg propane tanks in case of a leak later...propane is expensive

a 35kg tank on a 12 gallon water heater lasts 4 months till empty

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

as for heaters...I found 12 gallon propane units are the best
they heat really fast

I use 35kg propane tanks in case of a leak later...propane is expensive

a 35kg tank on a 12 gallon water heater lasts 4 months till empty
Bob always has the best advice.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 04:09 PM

Propane is cheap as long as you don't use it much.

Winter sun won't heat black tinaco enough to have a hot shower - this is not a calculation. The sun will bring it up to lukewarm on early afternoon, on good day. People are not enjoying cold shower when it's 65-70 outside. The nights are cold where I am. Getting sun to work after dark, or at dawn - fat chance :)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 01:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

I won't put it in the ground for a few reasons, though not the ones that you mentioned. First, I'm lazy, and second, it's nice to be able to fill the bucket or run a hose using gravity, without having to run a pump. Yes, will be difficult to replace (underground) if it ever comes to this.

As to the rest of the points - not so sure.

Servicing... Access to the bulkhead valve near the bottom is not needed when it's buried - pipes near the top will be used. An unlikely event that it will start leaking through that closed opening... maybe...

Cleaning it inside doesn't look more difficult than if it were on the ground or elevated.

Polyethylene gets brittle from UV exposure, any kayaker will tell you this. Black and beige tinacos have additives to slow this process down, they deteriorate slow-er than milky white cubes if left outside, but still deteriorate. One more reason to cover it with a shack or a coat of paint.

They get brittle in the ground... faster than on the surface? Is there any evidence to support this?
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 09:20 AM

In Loreto.. Similar size casa.. I prefer Trane units and set-up a 2 ton unit with two heads, one for each bedroom.. The zones work great to run them when they are needed in these rooms.. The main Great Room, including the kitchen area, runs a 2 ton unit w/ a heat pump option for those cold winter nights.. has worked great for the last 5 years.. think "zones" for your typical needs when laying it out...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.