Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bat poop
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 07:28 AM
Bat poop

Read one of David K's articles about the Santiago bat cave, this is a few miles upstream from our house and a frequent stop on arroyo ATV trips to the Palomar in Santiago. My father and bat crap are responsible for my love of Baja, he helped build and manage a guano mine in the Grand Canyon and did exploration all over mainland Mexico after the cable was accidentally cut down by an air force fighter jet.
This started his love affair with Mexico which he passed on to all his children. The 1956 Ford pickup in the attached video was brand new then and went as far as the Yucatán on several mine explorations.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyKwpp4T_E
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 07:32 AM

OK that link don't link. I'll have to work on it. Bill Freiday crossing the Grand Canyon will bring it up while I struggle to improve posting skill.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 07:48 AM

https://youtu.be/DtyKwpp4T_E
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 09:39 AM

Dang it...wish I had known David was going to the batcave to ask him to collect a bag of guano for my garden!

A nice discount on a room to anyone bringing me that batgold!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 12:56 PM

This has what to do with accommodations:?: I guess maybe sleeping in a bat cave:barf:

[Edited on 8-11-2017 by chippy]
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 01:42 PM

Sorry about that, I'm new at this (you must have missed the newbie standing) I will try pick an appropriate category next time. Shari I'll try to scoop you up a bag next summer.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 01:53 PM
Shari needs poop?

Well I did not know you liked that stuff! The last time I stayed at your campground (Sirena?) I just tossed my dog's poop in the trash. Next time, I will make sure you get it.

Edit; Shari and I have both mentioned her place, so we are legit on the accommodations forum now!

[Edited on 8-11-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 05:39 PM

the poop on me is that I prefer chicken, horse, goat or worm doo doo but the ultimate is bat for my garden....so keep putting your dog droppings in the trash thank you very much! I hate cleaning up other's poop!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 06:49 PM

There is a source for liquido guano de murcielago in the La Paz area. PM us if interested. It is from a cave in the sierra de la laguna.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 06:49 AM

loco como mierda murcielago
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
loco como mierda murcielago

I knew this would turn into a Trump thread.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 10:44 PM

Sr. Vienes, I used to live in Las Vegas and I made a couple trips to the cave (in a canoe from Grand Wash to the towers). I found the story about the cable hilarious. I climbed up to cave entrance and only ventured a short way into the cave. I'll send some photos if I can find em.

Jorge
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 07:22 AM

Gotta love them old 1950's narrator voices. The Hualapai tribe has done very well turning the old tramway site into the Skywalk and have well over a million visits per year. After all that money and work Dad found a cave in the Yucatán you could just drive a front end loader in and scoop it up. By then chemical fertilizers were coming into use. He got paid to see a lot of Mexico and they even let him tow his boat along.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 08:03 AM

Fun thread!
Leaving Pta. Chivato soon.
Will be home in a couple days and then will be getting to work on the photos.

I saw some great stuff. I just hope the camera saw what I did. Which reminds me, yesterday a road runner with a baby snake in its mouth ran across the road, in front of me. It stopped in some bushes and wacked the snake. Photos didn't show it well, bummer.

See you later!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Smellslikefish

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 11:08 AM

There's a book called "Desert River Man" that credits Murl Emery as developing this mine. Great read by the way.
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 12:00 PM

I believe after he took stab at it my farther and a local miner and a aviation pioneer named George Stienkie tried two or three not real successful mining methods. The coolest one that didn't work was a giant airboat they built putting together some old army pontoon bridges and robbing an old radical aircraft engine off of one of the B17's being scrapped at the Kingman airport.
The airboat would run about 40mph with 20 tons of poop. All was fine till they hit a long sand bar, took eight guys a week to dig their way off it.
Bat poop mining, not for the faint of heart or weak of wallet!!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-13-2017 at 08:33 PM
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Smellslikefish  
There's a book called "Desert River Man" that credits Murl Emery as developing this mine. Great read by the way.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 12:42 PM

Oh My, He's my kinda guy.....

I'm ordering that book today, I'm sure it's going to be a great read.

Thanks for posting this, David.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 07:02 PM

ONLY on B.N. can one read a thread on batpoop mining! :no::o:tumble::spingrin:
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 08:46 AM
Bat Poop

A fella named Harold Carpenter is credited as the discover, although I have heard tales of it being some cowboy. There was several groups including Dad and some other locals who tried to make a buck at it and failed as I’m sure Murl did. US Guano who Dad worked
for had a much more impressive and spectacular failure which is still a Canyon landmark.
Those early river runners where a colorful breed, Georgie White in her leopard print swim suit and river runner sun baked skin barking orders for us to get off “her beach” is something I’ll never forget.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.