Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Ken Cooke's Replacement Vehicle
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 04:37 PM
Ken Cooke's Replacement Vehicle

The Bollinger BE Electric Truck.

Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmpcfza1Ibc&trk_msg=LPOV...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 04:48 PM

last weeks news...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87127

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 07:07 PM

I am not ready to change my Jeep yet, but two tows in one weekend we're at bit much.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 08:02 PM

It's a JEEP THING! :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I am not ready to change my Jeep yet, but two tows in one weekend we're at bit much.

Maybe you should buy a used Toyota to pull behind your Jeep just in case.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 05:09 PM

Maintenance is the best cure.
Not a Toyota available that is in the same league off road as a Jeep Wrangler. If you use it, maintain it. Just a fact
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 05:20 PM

I think TW and I (as well as dozens of others here on Nomad) will agree:

Yes, there is a difference between a TRD Off Road Tacoma pickup truck and a Jeep Wrangler:

*We can carry all the camping gear and accessories we need.
*We can drive at freeway speed with ease.
*We can crawl over almost everything as we have low range, a rear locker, and even better, A-TRAC on all 4 corners. Locks any spinning tire to match the other on that axle.
*Oh, we can drive all over Baja, then use it as a daily work truck back at home, and not typically have any mechanical issues (it's not impossible, but rare).

It's not a Jeep, but that's okay... I owned a Jeep... ONCE!

Funny, I like Jeeps... they represent pure American innovation that dates back to 1940. If I had money to burn, I would own some classic Jeeps to play with, restore, etc. But, because I can only afford one vehicle and I never want to be broken down anywhere, but especially in Baja... I drive a Toyota Tacoma. RELIABILITY and ABILITY is why. Plus, my truck was made in Baja, so it's right at home down there!!!

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 05:27 PM

David-
I own many vehicles. A Tacoma is a fine vehicle for what it was designed for. My point is that it is NOT as capable offroad as a Jeep. As such, steeper driveline angles, steering angles, etc. DO require a more frequent service interval. I have always traveled to remote locales in Mexico and have never been stranded by any of my JEEPS. If I am going to go to the store to buy groceries, sprinkler parts, etc..... I will leave take my pickup truck.
Still comes back to knowing your vehicle and maintaining it properly
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 05:32 PM

If a person has the means, he/she should have at least one Jeep for offroad and one Toyota to go to the grocery store. Problem solved!
:-)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 07:58 PM

Every now and then I think of buying a Jeep. Then I do the research and in all good conscience will not waste my money.

For off-roading, Jeep is the only vehicle to drive, within limits. Take it out, off-road, put it back.

Reliability is 50/50, performance is good, safety is poor to marginal, 18 mpg combined = no thanks.

2nd place is Toy Taco or 4Runner for all round off-roading and on-road comfort.

Off-road, no doubt. On-road, forgetaboutit.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 08:17 PM

luv the 4runner but if I were in the market I'd take a long look at one of Harald's Benz's.......but we've already done this right? :coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 08:35 PM

Harald has 1 Mercedes Benz G Wagon, 1 Toyota FJ40, and 3 Grand Cherokees. You can see what needs spares, can't you?
LOL.
The Jeeps are for tours. Harald wrote books in German on four wheeling and has the English site www.4x4abc.com.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 09:16 AM

This has been the first real issue that I have had in 14 years with 175,000 miles. The problem appears to be related to the fuel pump and/or fuel filter.

Lee - with 35" tires and 4.88 gears, fuel mileage is secondary to off road performance. The independent front suspension does not allow the Toyota to tackle sections of trail found on Cleghorn Ridge without flopping the toy on its side. With a straight axle conversion, it's a whole other story. For that reason, I went for the Jeep and not a Japanese brand.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 09:58 AM

Ken, I don't know how the electronics in a jeep function, but I had fuel problems with one of my Kias. It turned out to be a bad connector between the cam sensor and the electronic control module. The sensor was not telling the ECM that the engine was turning, so it wasn't telling the pump that fuel was needed.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 03:38 PM

Ken, a common issue is the connector nearest to the fuel tank. Very hard to diagnose even by the dealer. I was successful with my buddies 04 TJ by getting a gadget and monitoring the fuel pressure at the engine fuel rail. The gadget is a fuel line adapter to provide the missing Schrader valve that Jeep decide was not necessary. Once you have the Schrader valve it is pretty simple to hook up a mechanical gauge. The final fix was to replace both ends of the connector at the tank.
The dealer fix which was unsuccessful was to replace the pump/filter inside the tank. Worthless and expensive.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 08:02 PM

Paul,

Was the installation of this Schrader valve difficult? Did you have the work performed by a shop, or did you do this yourself?

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Lee - with 35" tires and 4.88 gears, fuel mileage is secondary to off road performance. The independent front suspension does not allow the Toyota to tackle sections of trail found on Cleghorn Ridge without flopping the toy on its side. With a straight axle conversion, it's a whole other story. For that reason, I went for the Jeep and not a Japanese brand.

Ken - at the level you perform at, there is only one option: Jeep.

Nothing else comes close. Be care out there. Salute.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 09:36 PM
Lots of Jeeps around here

A neighbor parks his beautiful Wrangler Sport in the street by my house.
With all due respect to Ken, what is his license plate trying to say :?::lol:

IMG_3806.jpg - 214kB
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2017 at 02:10 PM

The guy is a navy reserve nurse.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-5-2017 at 02:25 PM

And a really poor speller
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.