Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Ken Cooke's Replacement Vehicle
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
The new Sprinters AWD systems should have lockers but don't in the States.

Are lockers actually useful on an active AWD system? My understanding about the Subarus, for example, is that if three wheels are low on traction, the power will mostly go to the other one that feels grip. :?:

Subaru has always impressed me with their power plant and drive. I owned three Subarus, all back when they were four-wheel-drive, not all-wheel-drive. When Subaru changed to AWD, they did not include a LOW RANGE transfer case, as when they were 4WD. That ended my Subaru purchasing... but I also needed a truck bed and neither the BRAT or BAJA models had the cargo area I needed in their beds.

All wheel drive does not (typically) deliver equal power to the front and rear, it is split unevenly and that generally makes them less able off road but great for slippery highway driving. Having LOW RANGE is so key to BAD ROAD or NO ROAD situations where power and lots of torque is critical to climb up or crawl through bad stuff.

I have read reviews of Subaru's AWD system, and it does sound like they have an awesome limited-slip incorporated that will let one tire (any tire) with traction to pull the vehicle on through when the other three are spinning. The same feature is in my Tacoma's A-TRAC system, and I have benefitted from that!

[Edited on 9-10-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 02:06 AM

Things are really going down hill when Subaru becomes part of the discussion about the issues with jeeps. Daily drivers hardly compare.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 08:17 AM
JEEP to SUBARU, thank you Tom Miller!

It is the driver more than the vehicle. I had my 1975.5 Jeep Cherokee Chief for only two years, it was so terrible for a new vehicle, always in the shop and things got expensive after the 12,000-mile warranty ended! Here is a rare time I actually had my Jeep in Baja, during the 1975 Baja 1000 going from Diablo Dry Lake to San Felipe after watching the racers heading south at Valle de Trinidad:

Tom Miller, author of The Baja Book and others got really excited about Subarus and heavily promoted the 4WD wagon (and later the BRAT pickup). His reporting on how good the Subaru did in the sand south of San Felipe, calling it a "super sand bug" had me looking at the little wagons. For what I sold my Jeep for, I was able to buy a new Subaru in full.

The Subaru (1977.5 model) was a relief to owning a Jeep. It never broke down and had an unlimited miles warranty, for 12 months. I know I put close to 40,000 miles on it that year going to Baja over and over!

I drove my Subaru to Gonzaga Bay in 1979 over the virtually impassable grades... my muffler is still there! I took it to Rancho Matomi the year before!

13" wheels and no low range on my first two Subaru 4WD wagons. Is not easy to off road with.
If you just got to go to Baja, then you learn how to drive what you got!

Me and my Subaru, November 1979, pre-running the Baja 1000, south of Puertecitos.

Here it is in Calamajué Canyon, the next day. Camped by Alfonsina's.

My first Subaru had the 'Safari' package: white Jackman style wheels, a push bar, skid plate, and 4WD stripes... I added the KC Off Road lights.
Nearing El Crucero, where my first section of driving the 1000 was over. Sadly, our Class 6 race car (Datsun 510) broke down before I got behind the wheel!

The Subaru of today has taller wheels, more ground clearance, but is AWD and has no low range... and does not have a truck. It is not a true off road vehicle, just an ALL road vehicle if you are careful and skilled.

[Edited on 9-11-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 08:56 AM

wow thanks david....its been weeks since we've been treated to those photo's of you and your subaru! :lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 10:16 AM

Excellent post, David. The pictures help to authenticate your accurate statement on Subaru's. My son just sold his Subaru "Baja" truck-like 4x4 vehicle which he loved. He drove it just shy of 300K miles with almost no problems, much of it in Baja and elsewhere on dirt roads, but it was just getting creaky. He replaced it with a Ford Raptor which he loves too.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Barry A.]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 01:43 PM

Raptors are pretty bad ass trucks... as long as they have stronger spindles than stock or if the newest models got upgraded.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Raptors are pretty bad ass trucks... as long as they have stronger spindles than stock or if the newest models got upgraded.

His Raptor is a 2010 model year, and so far so good.

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Barry A.]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 09:52 PM
Jeep update

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Things are really going down hill when Subaru becomes part of the discussion about the issues with jeeps. Daily drivers hardly compare.

The diagnostic equipment did not turn up any consistent problems unlike David's 1977 Cherokee Chief. My Dad's old full size Cherokee got my whole family to Tennessee and back - through the old country back roads in Oklahoma, along the Colorado mountain passes, etc without a single hickup! My Dad prepped the Jeep (that he bought a few years used) and never had an issue. It drank gasoline but it was well built and bulletproof American solid steel. My experience with the Jeep brand is the polar opposite of David Ks. That said...

With a little help from my friends,the fuel pump, fuel filter pcv valves and spark plugs will be changed. Other than that, I don't expect there to be any other problems. My plan is to make the repairs then drive the Jeep daily to work. Then in the winter do some off road runs. If it doesn't have any problems, then problem solved. No lightweight 4Runner, ugly SUBARU or boxy VW Van purchases will be necessary.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 10:22 PM

1975 1/2 Cherokee Chief (introduced new model, mid year)
1977 1/2 Subaru Wagon (1978 style model, early in the intro year)

Back in those days, if the model was a new and it was mid year, it had to be mid year dated. Today, I think they can now call it next year's model?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 10:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

With a little help from my friends,the fuel pump, fuel filter pcv valves and spark plugs will be changed. Other than that, I don't expect there to be any other problems....

If it doesn't have any problems, then problem solved. No lightweight 4Runner, ugly SUBARU or boxy VW Van purchases will be necessary.

You just used word "problem" three times to describe your jeep...

I don't think I ever used the word "problem" when talking about my "lightweight" 4Runner. My 4Runner may be a "lightweight" but it carried a lot more people and gear than a jeep and the word problem was not a necessary part of my vocabulary.

Speaking of lightweights, I now got an all-aluminum f-150. Great traveling car, even if it is a "lightweight."

:lol:

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 07:54 AM

GOAT-
An F150 is NOT a traveling "car"..... and even with the new aluminum body would be hard to call a "lightweight".
It is a very well built truck. Just FYI

A greyhound bus carries more people and gear than a Jeep as well. Does that make a greyhound bus a better vehicle than your 4Runner?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

My 4Runner may be a "lightweight" but it carried a lot more people and gear than a jeep and the word problem was not a necessary part of my vocabulary.

Speaking of lightweights, I now got an all-aluminum f-150. Great traveling car, even if it is a "lightweight."

I once had a Ford Ranger - the one that left me stranded on the Observatory Road, and a footnote in Graham Macintoshs book in 2001. Long story short, I overloaded and overworked that lightweight pickup. It was fun, but just not built for the uses that I needed. The frontend went through shock bushings almost daily when I drove down Hwy 1 to Cabo in Y2K. No real traction control when I nearly slid off the trail past Mike's Sky Rancho around the same time. These problems made me rethink the platform and go with my current Jeep.

I have unfortunately outgrown the tiny interior as I have to carry my fridge in order that I can have my fruits, vegetables and vegan staples on a daily basis and not the usual junk I used to subsist on when going on multiday trips. I'm thinking that a JL Rubicon will more likely fit my needs much better with it's ability to run a 35-37" tire without the need to lift it too high - impairing my ability to load my DOMETIC fridge like if I had a lifted SuperDuty on 37-40" tires.

My parts from Rock Auto will come in this weekend and next week I hope to get started on the parts installation. My current 2003 Rubicon still has plenty of life left but it takes a shoe horn to fit the same gear that I can effortlessly place in the back of my 2WD Honda Pilot.

[Edited on 9-16-2017 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 12:00 PM

A JL Ruby would be great for you if not a 4Runner like the way Roy's was fixed up (he so regrets selling it and getting the Land Rover!).

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
A JL Ruby would be great for you if not a 4Runner like the way Roy's was fixed up (he so regrets selling it and getting the Land Rover!).

What exactly is the status on Roy's Land Rover? They are expensive to maintain from what I hear. Parts are difficult to source here in the United States. I agree with you David K.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 11:03 AM

Roy's Land Rover is still running. He had a dead battery a couple of days ago that he had to jump start to get it going. I don't think parts are hard to get just expensive. Roy wants to sell it if you are anyone is interested. He bought a new chevy Colorado 4x4 diesel that he is prepping for off road.

[Edited on 9-17-2017 by TMW]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 05:29 PM

Ken, I feel Your pain. My 03 Tundra needs sterring rack bushings. $35 shipped. My neighbor is an ASE Toyota wrench turner and he says only the middle bushing is replaceable. I bought all three poly bushings and DL'd directions to replace all three. I'm gonna give him a Cnote to do the replacement. That, and a couple of whole Yellowtail in a month!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 06:02 PM

Ken,
For 3 or 4 day trips, you really don't need to refrigerate fruits and veggies....
Food for thought :lol:

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

My 4Runner may be a "lightweight" but it carried a lot more people and gear than a jeep and the word problem was not a necessary part of my vocabulary.

I once had a Ford Ranger - the one that left me stranded on the Observatory Road, and a footnote in Graham Macintoshs book in 2001. Long story short, I overloaded and overworked that lightweight pickup. It was fun, but just not built for the uses that I needed. The frontend went through shock bushings almost daily when I drove down Hwy 1 to Cabo in Y2K. No real traction control when I nearly slid off the trail past Mike's Sky Rancho around the same time. These problems made me rethink the platform and go with my current Jeep.

I have unfortunately outgrown the tiny interior as I have to carry my fridge in order that I can have my fruits, vegetables and vegan staples on a daily basis and not the usual junk I used to subsist on when going on multiday trips. I'm thinking that a JL Rubicon will more likely fit my needs much better with it's ability to run a 35-37" tire without the need to lift it too high - impairing my ability to load my DOMETIC fridge like if I had a lifted SuperDuty on 37-40" tires.

My parts from Rock Auto will come in this weekend and next week I hope to get started on the parts installation. My current 2003 Rubicon still has plenty of life left but it takes a shoe horn to fit the same gear that I can effortlessly place in the back of my 2WD Honda Pilot.

[Edited on 9-16-2017 by Ken Cooke]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2017 at 10:28 PM

Ken,
For 3 or 4 day trips, you really don't need to refrigerate fruits and veggies....
Food for thought :lol:

I have traveled with ice water in my hummus - it just makes the hummus go farther, I guess. Green beans can be eaten canned, but I get tired of canned food. I can eat canned tuna and crackers, or make Meatless tacos with crisp onions and fresh cilantro. Like I said, my nutritional needs have forced me to rethink how I camp or do road trips in order that I can continue doing this activity.

As for the Jeep, the fuel pump was the culprit. I am driving the Jeep tomorrow to work while the Pilot goes in for service. I really missed not driving my Jeep..

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 08:47 AM

Get that great jeep going. As I witnessed the most capable off road machine ever
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
luv the 4runner but if I were in the market I'd take a long look at one of Harald's Benz's.......but we've already done this right? :coolup:

hey Ken next time in the neighborhood ask Aldo how he likes his new G-class! :yes:
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.