Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Illicit alcohol siezure
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 04:03 PM
Illicit alcohol siezure

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now we know the rest of the story..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexican-authorities-seiz...

Now how 'bout blaming the 'dumb drunk kids' some more? :no:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 09:27 PM
booze

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexican-authorities-seiz...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 09:53 PM

Awaiting the JJJ spin on this. He said it couldn't happen at top resorts.

Why do Mexican authorities always show up after the fact? Answer: Because they are paid to show up after the fact.

Now, they'll probably try and sell it back to the resorts they confiscated it from.

I love the last paragraph where the authorities announce a further crackdown coming in September. Why announce that, except to warn the perpetrators to hide the stuff................temporarily.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 07:40 AM

Another shot at the solar plexus of Mexican tourism. It's the cartels, right?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 09:50 AM

Bajabuddha, has already started a thread on this topic, and now it makes three threads talking about the same related subject.

Who starts a thread called "booze?"

At least Bajajuddha, has an actual title to his thread.

Bajabuddha: Subject: Illicit alcohol siezure

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Bajabuddha, has already started a thread on this topic, and now it makes three threads talking about the same related subject.

Who starts a thread called "booze?"

At least Bajajuddha, has an actual title to his thread.

Bajabuddha: Subject: Illicit alcohol siezure
[/rquot

Booze has 90 more views ," booze " is a better getter of views
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 11:27 AM

If you want to go by numbers, than this thread should be used.

Started by JJJ: Subject: State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87116#pid1088...

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 12:10 PM

The first time someone insists on using their booze at the hotel pool would be a sight to see:bounce:

Es Todo Bueno
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 01:11 PM

I would stay at the " Iberostar Paraiso Maya" all inclusive hotel in Mexico, and all their other 5 star resorts world wide.

It's the off season and they have great deal for about $145 dollars a night, with all the food and booze you want, although too much of either could be dangerous, and even deadly.

There is also no U.S State Department Travel warning in the state of Quintana Roo, where this resort is located.

I would have no problems drinking at the swim up bar, although I'm an adult and I know my limit.

From "Tripadvisor" from the first page of recent reviews that show an overall trend that you will probably have a great vacation here.

We stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Maya with 2 toddlers. We had a great time. Service was good and overall the value was OK. The hotel offers many activities including catamarans, kayaks, archery, rifle shooting, and bicicle tours within the property (note that you cannot ride by yourself, which I would have liked to do)

We spent a week at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya from July 24-31, 2017. There were 4 of us...my husband and I (were both 40), and our two sons, ages 10 and 12. This was our first vacation at an all-inclusive resort, and the first visit to this area. We usually alternate our big summer vacation between cruises and Disney World, but this year we decided to try something different. We are so glad we went here! Grounds of the resort: Everywhere we looked we saw beauty. This resort is very clean and gorgeous at every turn. The staff works very hard to keep things clean and beautiful. It is a large resort, and plenty of walking to do. But have no fear if you don't like to walk, or if you have mobility issues. They will give you a ride to anywhere you want on the grounds with a golf cart. There are also ramps all over the place, and elevators in each 3-story building that house the rooms. I saw a couple of guests on scooters getting around by the pool area. We walked everywhere, as we are used to walking a lot and we enjoy it. The only time we took a gold cart was right after check-in, to get to the building where our room was.
This was our 7th stay on the Iberostar Paraiso property but our first time in the Maya. We loved our week long stay here! Our previous stays had been at the Beach/Del Mar which we also had enjoyed immensely! We only decided to upgrade this time because we wanted our 5 year old son to have access to the wave pool and kids water park and wanted a larger room due to the fact that my 20 year old daughter was traveling with us. We made the right choice by staying at the Maya! It was everything we had hoped for! The size with a 5 year old was so much more accommodating than the Beach resort and our building (number 64) was a perfect placement! Everyone had a great time and we look forward to returning in the future.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g663501-d524093-Rev...

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
Another shot at the solar plexus of Mexican tourism

From every indication I get, Mex Tourism, the fly down
resort type, is doing fine. Was a post a while back
2000+ rooms being added to the Cape

[Edited on 8-13-2017 by sancho]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

From every indication I get, Mex Tourism, the fly down
resort type, is doing fine. Was a post a while back
2000+ rooms being added to the Cape
[Edited on 8-13-2017 by sancho]

It depends.

Violence in Acapulco has been particularly high over a long period of time and here is the result:

"In 2006, 355,000 international passengers arrived at the airport. A decade later, in 2016, that number had dropped to 54,000, according to OMA."

That's a huge drop in International tourists to Acapulco.

OMA is the operator of the airport.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/acapulco-declining-tourism-cana...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 03:11 PM

Nice try SFand H, and I'm sure the violence in Acapulco, contributed to the drop in tourism in the area, but the truth is, Acapulco, was also getting a little long in the tooth, and Acapulco, was no longer the destination of choice among travelers to Mexico.

Cancun by far has been more popular vacation than Acapulco, and other cities in Mexico, also surpassed Acapulco, including Cabo, and many other hot vacation spots in Mexico.

It's so funny to me to hear members claim the last negative story about Mexico, is the final nail in Mexico's coffin.

Look at the tourism numbers to Mexico in 2016! It's almost a 10% increase from the year before, and you know the article is correct, because it comes from Fair and Balanced, "Fox News.

Mexico welcomed record 35 million international tourists in 2016

Mexico's tourism industry is riding high on the heels of a historic 2016.

The Mexico Tourism Board announced Tuesday that a record 35 million international travelers visited the country last year. The impressive figure signals a 9 percent jump compared to 2015.

To put the increase in perspective, the global industry average is just 3.9 percent, based on figures from the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).

Given the massive visitor growth, Mexico also saw a huge jump in international visitor spending last year, with that figure climbing at a stunning clip of 10.4 percent, according to the country's tourism board. International tourists arriving in Mexico via air travel grew at a rate of 10.7 percent in 2016.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/03/01/mexico-welcomed-rec...

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 04:13 PM

Fox News isnt the source of those statistics, JJJ. They are just reporting them. You need to differentiate between simply reading something and regurgitating it, and being discerning on the source.

Personally, I think any statistical evidence from the Mexican Government in nearly ANY field is probably worth taking into the crapper and little more. There are so few means of independently verifying their statistics. They like to keep it that way.

Maybe it did increase and maybe it didnt. Mexico certainly has a vested interest in making things LOOK good, in the face of so much bad publicity.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-13-2017 at 06:32 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
8-13-2017 at 06:33 PM
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 11:10 AM

More booze newz
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10000-gallons-of-tainted...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Fox News isnt the source of those statistics, JJJ. They are just reporting them. You need to differentiate between simply reading something and regurgitating it, and being discerning on the source.

Personally, I think any statistical evidence from the Mexican Government in nearly ANY field is probably worth taking into the crapper and little more. There are so few means of independently verifying their statistics. They like to keep it that way.

Maybe it did increase and maybe it didnt. Mexico certainly has a vested interest in making things LOOK good, in the face of so much bad publicity.

You sound like a denier Hook.

You don't want to accept the fact that US and Foreign tourism to Mexico has increased greatly the last few years. Yes, some Mexico tourism reports are reporting different tourism numbers to Mexico, because those numbers come from different sources, but every article or site I saw on Mexico tourism shows a significance increase in both US and foreign tourism to Mexico the last few years, and with 2016 showing the most increase.

Hook says, "Maybe it did increase and maybe it didnt."

C'mon, dude, the economies are improving in both the US and Europe .Airfare is reasonable cheap to Mexico, and the exchange rate is great comparing the US dollar to the peso.

But Hook questions those tourism numbers, and other members of "Baja Nomad" and other places, often act like they believe Mexican tourism is on it's death bed, and just one more negative story about Mexico, will probably push Mexico over the edge, and end Mexico tourism for years to come.

How funny.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
More booze newz
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10000-gallons-of-tainted...

Here are the most important words from the article linked by Chuckie.

"The bar closure was the result of sanitary compliance not because of tainted alcohol."

There is still the fact that the older brother admitted that he and his sister, had each drank 5 shots, before taking another powerful drink called the 'jaegerbomb", so that makes six powerful drinks for sure, and there is some indication they even drank some more with those other guys at the bar, according to other articles.

Perfectly good tequila of 5 shots, along with "jaegerbombs" within two hours, could easily put your blood-alcohol at 0.25 where Abby Conner's readings were. ( there were no other drugs in her system)

I think Abby's family because of the article, have a better chance of winning the wrongful death lawsuit, but "Iberostar Hotels" decides to fight the lawsuit, the family will have a fight on their hands, because they will just bring in an expert witness doctor, to explain how impaired someone could be at 0.25, and then they will probably get the brother on the stand to admit how many drinks they both had, and I have a feeling he will not make a great witness.

All those other supposedly victims of tainted alcohol will probably be considered hearsay, because I'm pretty such most of those reports are coming from ' Mexico Vacation Awareness" some dubious Mexico hating site, that posts mostly anonymous complaints that can't be verified.

Hopefully, the " Iberostar" will just settle for a reasonable amount to make the case and bad publicity go away.

From the article:

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Ibersotar Hotels & Resorts said: “It is important to clarify that the closure of this one bar was the result of sanitary compliance (for instance a trash container lid missing, leak from ice machine, etc.), not related to tainted alcohol allegations. We are diligently working to resolve the issues pointed by the inspector and expect another evaluation within the next several days so that this bar’s operations can be fully restored.”

According to the Sentinel, Conner and her brother’s blood levels were three times over the limit that Wisconsin law considers to be impaired, even though they had only spent about two hours at the resort. A number of other people reported similar experiences to the Sentinel.

[Edited on 8-17-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-19-2017 at 06:37 PM
No Worries

Be prudent.

And shed no tears for those who act (or drink) imprudently.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.