BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Felipe to Cabo trip planning.........
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 11:06 AM
San Felipe to Cabo trip planning.........

I'm doing a feasibility study on a trip down to Cabo, from my camp just south of San Felipe. This is kind of a bucket list thing for me. The first step is to analyze the gasoline situation down the way. I have to prove out my gas mileage with my boat first with load. Right now its about 10 nmpg off San Diego in average weather. So that is a good sign. he biggest run with gas avail. question will be from Loreto to La Paz as it is 150 or so miles. There is a village half way called San Evaristo which has houses and a road into it but the road into it is way far from the paved hwy. So it is going to be sketchy relying on that, so I most likely will plan on it not having gas. 20 gal up front plus my 3 gal. boat tank should cover that though. If weather is tuff, then will have to wait it out. FYI 14 ft homemade boat from Bateau calle 14 fast skiff I believe, with a 15 hp Suzi. 4 banger. Garmin sells a tracker where you can text back and forth sounds like the bomb, as a sat cellphone would be an alternative. Not sure about time of year yet, but October or May are on my list as possible months. Would like to see sailboats though, but not necessary, I think October is too early for them and May may be too late. I dunno. Any thoughts will be entertaining, but no naysayers. I've been to many parts of the se of Cortez, but just not this way.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 12:16 PM

I echo what Lencho said, someone will have gasoline, but finding them on short notice could be a problem. I don't believe there is a commercial service available.

I plan on being in the area around that time. If the timing works out, I would be happy to deliver ten gallons or so just for the outing!

For what it is worth, I have been to San Evaristo around those time frames (before and after ski season), and there were sailboats at anchor both times.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 01:52 PM

good news so far guys. Gas needs will be minimum at remote areas. But the more gas I can get means I can take my time and fish and explore the various islands. I is basically a 700 nmile trip and that would be 70 gallons. But realistically I'd like to do 800-900 miles or 80-90 gallons. If I have to mooch gas off someone, it would be like 5 gallons etc. not a boat load. Maybe trade pangeros rum for gas if I have the chance?

I'm pretty surprised to hear that you guys had familiarity with San Evaristo and responded so quickly. It seems to be exactly between Loreto and La Paz. Nice island out there also.
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 02:00 PM

[img][/img]

I was going to go semi stealth in color but decided to go the opposite direction. Don't want to give anyone any ideas about my existence, plus it can be spotted well. Boat is 8 years old now, holy crap.

[Edited on 8-14-2017 by fishin_pol]

[Edited on 8-31-2017 by BajaNomad]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 02:13 PM

Paint the inside day glow orange, just in case.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 02:56 PM

Been to San Evaristo twice and got gas there at least once.

That bay is so, so. The "must see" bay close to there is on Isla San Fransisco about 8 miles away. It's beautiful there.

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 07:31 AM

This could be a great trip. Friends of mine did it in two pangas about ten years ago. The weather and the fishing did not cooperate so they couldn't get home to the east cape fast enough. I think they went in spring, not sure the month but I would bet May. Water and air were colder than they expected and they did not equip themselves properly for that. You might want to invest in some warm foul weather gear.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 10:06 AM
time of year.....

I think my first choice is October, as the southern flow starts to die down and the northern winds move in. Better to have wind at your back.

I'll pass on the orange color inside the boat on the deck for now.:)

I'm thinking getting gas should be a good chance as I will be looking for 5 gallons when remote area. But will cover myself for
safety reasons.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 10:22 AM

you NEED a bimini top

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 10:26 AM

And a sat. phone...and probably a buddy boat...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 10:51 AM

Sounds like fun. Did you build the boat? Always liked those kit boats.

My choice of months would be early June. Kind of settling to summer but still not too hot.

October is the start of Santa Ana wind season and short, stacked chop with following seas in that boat would have you waiting it out somewhere.

Have you considered loading the boat up and running it to Mission Bay from SD Bay and back? That would give you some solid fuel consumption data.

Like said previously, sat phone, foul weather gear, more gas than you think because of current and wind, lots of drinking water, portable watermaker unit and perhaps consider an epirb also.

Have a great trip!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 02:44 PM

We've done the entire coast from SF to La Paz several times in a 30 footer. Always 1/2 at a time.

The places to stop are:

- Gonzaga (gas)
- Puerto Refugio on Isla Ángel de la Guarda
- BoLA (gas)
- San Fransquito (probably gas)
- Santa Rosalia (gas)
- Punta Chivato
- Mulege (gas)
- San Juanico
- Isla Cornanado
- Loreto (gas)
- Puerto Escondido (probably gas)
- San Evaristo (probably gas)
- Isla San Francisco

All these bay are beautiful.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-15-2017 at 04:53 PM

jz your boat is WAY better than that thing...and you have a plan and an assistant crew that speak Spanish and you are NOT cheap

that Suzuki motor is the same as my old 9.9hp with different carberation to beef it up to 15hp

that boat wont go faster than 10mph tops
maybe slower when "loaded"

I wonder if it has foam seats since its "homemade"
it could sink in a wind storm which are too common on the sea of cortez

currently its not built for the ocean...its stripped

risky business to run a 14 footer that far south

since it needs to be trailered north...i'd have a chase truck pulling the trailer with supplies and gas and repair items
the chase truck could stop at pre-determined locations to assure safety

you cant buy Suzuki boat motor parts locally...you need to order them
so if it breaks you'll need supplies

I have a Honda now...a caddy of 9.9hp boat motors
max speed is 10mph ion a tin boat (light)
and the SPOT to track it...and someone to watch out for us behind the scenes
and we seldom leave the bay

bad idea all around

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 10:06 AM
tips....

Thanks for the tips....

Yes, shade is essential

Garmin makes a unit that allows texting/location through sat.

Yes, I made the boat. And yes, loading up and doing a test run to get a good read on the gas mileage is necessary.

Now to the naysayer, You say that the 30 ft boat is WAY better than mine. Oh yeah, what quantity of gas do you need for a 30 ft boat? Have you ever pulled a 30 ft boat up on shore? The boat goes 22 nmph with minimum load, 15 nmph with 2 people and a load. I'm going to guess that my cruise speed with my load to be 10-12 mph. I built the boat and it has 6 independent foam filled compartments that most likely keep it from sinking. Following the coast and being able to shore the boat every night is the plan. "it's stripped" wtf? "you can't buy Suzuki parts locally" no chit.
"risky business to run a 14 footer that far south"? You are aware that there is as much land farther south as there is farther north?
One concern is that if I break down and the shore is cliff like or very rocky, that is an issue. I do plan on having a makeshift sail and a very good anchor. Another concern is getting bad gas. Maybe I can get a filter to at least remove the crap if there is any.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 10:12 AM

Read this, L.A. to the Colorado River Delta by panga, around the coast of Baja... done by our late friend, Carlos Fiesta, about 15 years ago...
http://www.bajaexpo.com/adventure.htm

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 10:25 AM

wow you did a nice job on that boat! sounds like a great trip :yes:.....and ignore bob, he once fell from the top of that lighthouse:(
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 10:42 AM

I have been dreaming of doing that same trip ever since I read the journey of Carlos Fiesta years ago.
Will be a great experience, have fun
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 11:19 AM

You sound well prepared and have thought things out like the sail for emergencies & I would have a Spot or Delorme In Reach device & a good handheld with antenna. But I do like the idea of having land based back up...maybe not a chase truck but at least some friends or Nomads who could help if necessary at points along your trip...kind of like Mike Younghusband on his mule voyage.

I would be happy to provide assistance for you if you needed it with family contacts in BOLA for example...since we are on the Pacside. Maybe a list can be started here for possible helpers.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:19 PM

Sounds fun! I had a 15 foot Hobie Power skiff, your hull reminds me of it. Mine had scuppers so water drained very quickly. Better than bilge pump for that boat.

Advice given here is good. Bob's caution - please listen to him. He sees the water 24/7. Take Sheri up on her offer of contacts.

San Evaristo, I have driven there. I enjoyed it. Some Panga fisherman were on shore with their catch. I don't think there are any stores or fuel. But people are nice, so may help you if they are able to do so.

Wind can be a huge problem. You can be beached several days at a time waiting on weather. I like the idea of having contacts to come for you if needed.

Have fun!
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:24 PM

I also like the paint color. Other boats can see you more easily, and you can be spotted if in distress.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.