Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solar Battery Question
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 12:40 PM
Solar Battery Question

I am setting up a off grid solar system. A friend has a similar setup that he has had for about a year and he is happy using the battery shown in the link. His report is positive but only covers one year which is a small part of what one might expect for battery life. The specs. seem adequate and the price also is OK. Would appreciate any experience anyone else may have with this battery.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nautilus-31-Deep-Cycle-Marine-Bat...

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 01:07 PM

How large a system? Do you want to use a washing machine or run a fridge or just a few lights? 2500 watt inverter or larger? I'm not familiar with those batteries for a solar system. I think you be better off with a true deep cycle battery for solar or golf cart batteries. Deep cycle marine batteries are different. Someone else will be able to explain I'm sure.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 01:39 PM

Just going to run a few led lights and a security system and
occasionally run a 115vac motor for door opener. I plan to use 4 of these for way more than enough power available. The GEM golf carts have been running 6 of these batteries in series for a 72vdc motor so these shouldn't have a problem with most systems. I was just looking for some possible first hand experience with lifespan.
Casey67
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja Hot

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 02:40 PM

The best bang for your buck is 6v Golf cart batteries. The ones made by Johnson controls are available everywhere under various brand names. Costco, Sam's club, interstate, LTH, Napa,....

Many people here use these and mine are going on 6 years old in a 48 volt system.

12v batteries have tiny little cells that are destined to fail sooner. Exide brand isn't necessarily a trusted name by any stretch.

Best of luck.

A rose by any other name is still just rice
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 02:42 PM

I guess if they'll run a golf cart then they're the true deep cycle batteries. Exide is a trusted name. I just questioned the battery because there isn't a golf cart icon with the truck & boat on the label.

[Edited on 8-22-2017 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
rickster22

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 03:17 PM

The difference between a true deep cycle and a starting battery is the thickness of the lead plates, which translates into weight. To me, based on the weight of this battery, and the way it is spec'd , it appears to be a lighter weight hybrid battery, for combined starting and limited deep cycle use. If your needs are limited, and the price is right, it might be ok, but I agree that 6 volt cart batteries ( Costco has good ones, and Trojan is a good respected name) will give you the best bang for the buck.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2017 at 08:58 PM

For your application, and I am assuming in Baja, I would go with what is available locally. A couple of LTH or Gonher 8D batteries would last you a long time. https://www.cemexsupply.com/collections/acumuladores/product...

at 58 kilos they are not light though.

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by rts551]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-23-2017 at 07:48 AM
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2017 at 10:46 AM

talk to jeff at deep cycle battery in El Cajon
https://deepcyclebatterystore.com

Phone: (619) 448-5323

As their name implies, they really are the experts in this field.

on the website, they have some 12V 170 amp "blemished" deep cycle AGMs for $15 more than those 12V115amp marine batteries you linked to. same warranty.
https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/cosmetically-blemished-bat...

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by soylent_green]
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2017 at 11:06 AM

Thanks all for your input. Gives me more options to explore.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-23-2017 at 12:20 PM

https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/off-grid-solar-battery/

has some text worth reading.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2017 at 07:19 PM

OP - you need a deep cycle.

The easiest way to spot a deep cycle is AH rating number. Exide in the link does have 115 AH written on it. I can't say whether it's a real one or a hybrid, but the weight is close to what it should've been if it were real. It will work.

Your loads are very low, most any battery will do. A pair of these should suffice.

If this is a seasonal setup, winters mostly - get AGM batteries. It will cost more, and will be maintenance-free. The Exide in the link is not.

Edit-PS:
Home Depot isn't usually a place to shop for solar parts. They don't carry decent AGM batts or nice controllers, and other parts are often cheaper in solar stores or Amazon.

[Edited on 8-24-2017 by Alm]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 10:22 AM

Battery life is also dependent on the type of temperature exposure it gets over time.

IMHO, a below ground level vault is a proven simple design feature that helps battery life too.

I store all my Arizona summer toy batteries in my fridge when not in use, still good after 4 years

Es Todo Bueno
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 12:29 PM

With "wet" type of battery that the OP is considering, there are 2 problems in hot summer: it needs watering and it's discharging very fast.

Fast discharging is not an issue when constantly on solar, with sufficient size of panel. Besides, his system is very low-current, 2*12 batts would run those meager 10A even when they are near empty and near dead.

Watering can be a problem if he is not there in summer. AGM would work better then.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2017 at 06:37 PM

If you're really serious about it....

https://ironedison.com/store

[Edited on 8-26-2017 by 55steve]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.