BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: winter 2019/2020 23 day baja trip planned(soliciting feedback ) for planning
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 02:30 PM
winter 2019/2020 23 day baja trip planned(soliciting feedback ) for planning

This is a first pass at Itinerary.
comments welcome.

[Edited on 8-24-2017 by chrishaynesusa]

[Edited on 8-26-2017 by BajaNomad]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 03:08 PM

Do you have much experience driving in Baja? What will you be driving?

Ahhhh ... Boxing Day in BofLA!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 03:42 PM

Hola chrishaynesusa,

Welcome to Nomad !

just a thought..before Christmas and about two weeks after new years is one of worst times to be traveling in baja due to the immense amount of traveling the mexican people and other tourists will be doing including buying gas and groceries a couple of days before those holidays. expressly also buying gas on their way home.

some beaches can be overly crowded by the mexican people dry camping in tents and under tarps without bathroom facilities.

if you have any major business transactions, it can be very problematic due to so many various businesses being closed.

i was working on forming my corporation around Christmas and new years 2007with a notario during this time and nothing moved forward, PERIOD !

Easter is another major headache for traveling.

i hope it helps as you are planning well in advance of your trip.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 04:00 PM

Welcome to the board! It will be a fun trip. What are trying to achieve on this trip? It looks like a scouting mission.
I would skip Puerto Chale, If you have been there once you'll wonder why anybody would go there at all.
Consider, Campo Rene/Abreojos/ La Bocana area or Bahia Asuncion instead of Tortugas, nicer places to stay, Tortugas is a bit industrial for me.
If you want boojum trees, Catavina would be my call.
You need to spend the night in San Ignacio also. maybe Friday 3
You'll be driving a lot, and understand that things don't go as planned in Baja.
There will people here telling you you are driving too much, it's your trip do what you want. Don't let somebody you don't know plan their trip for you. GO and ENJOY BAJA!!!
Check you u2u

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 04:36 PM

I suggest you look at the Baja Trip Reports forum here on Nomad to get a look at some places.

I will say you are zipping past a lot of stuff in the center.

Puertecitos is not a side trip but along the way to Gonzaga Bay and south... Really, it is well enough seen from the highway. The property owners collect 200 pesos just for entering their property to have a look at the hot springs or launch ramp.

One full day min. at Bahia de L.A.

Mulege to Puerto Chale makes no sense, too far, pass by so much to see in Mulege and Bahia Concepcion, and why Puerto Chale, which is close to La Paz by comparison???

Cabo is a city, mobs of traffic...

What is El Cajete?

Skip Bahia Tortugas and just enjoy Bahia Asuncion with the hospitality so many have enjoyed from Shari who runs the Bufadora Inn there.

I am happy to help, and these are just my off the cuff responses looking at your itinerary, briefly.

To help you better, we need to know:

1) What are you driving?
2) What are the activities you are interested in that Baja offers?
You already listed camping or motels, so we know you are okay with those. Campgrounds are often rustic, no showers or flush toilets, and there are many places you can camp if you don't need any services. Just please take out empty whatever you bring in full (ie. no trash left behind).
3) How many times have you been to Baja before?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 04:54 PM

concerns me when people are planning their road trip in a spreadsheet. indicates uptight type A nervousness, such people aren't made for road tripping in a laid back way.

that said,...

skip san felipe, it is pretty dumpy place, poor quality beaches, not worth the time.

you mention going to el rosario for boojum trees. odd choice. scratch that and go to catavina area for boojums and boulders.

i would skip cabo, and spend time elsewhere.

given length of your trip, I would pick 3 or 4 destinations, and then let the rest of the schedule be what it becomes (i.e. just a couple reservations around holidays, rest by seat of the pants)
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 05:03 PM

Greetings and thank you for the feedback so far.

I am leading a trip consisting of 10 Xterras(4x4's) with ample camping/offroading/ possibilities. We will be carrying jerrycans of gas to extend our range and gear contributing to self sufficiency.

I don't know any of the places I have outlined on my trip except San Felipe.

I like hot-springs , like lounging about but still wish to accomplish a trip down and back in the allotted time.

I have recently completed a trip to dead-horse Alaska and back to san jose ca(8K miles total) in 23 days. the driving was excruciating!!

I wanted to drive less , lounge more, drink more and have less time in the saddle. compared to the AK trip this looks like a short excursion. I am OK with skipping a destination in favor of another one but want to hold firm to the limit of 23 days, and the destination of Cabo at the tip and back.

Best regards to all and thank you for all of your suggestions

PS ....when I'm retired perhaps I'll get rid of the spreadsheet :)

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by chrishaynesusa]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 05:17 PM

See my trip reports from this year, last and the 2012, 2 week trip to Cabo will give you lots of ideas HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61576

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 05:18 PM

The weather in the northern half will be considerably cooler and maybe rainy. I'd minimize time in the north.

IMHO the best area in Baja is Bahia Concepcion south of Mulege.

Also, add Todos Santos to the itinerary. Best to have hotel reservations that time of the year, especially Cabo.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 05:45 PM

For me 23 days is a lot of time. I would prefer to do most of the trip off road instead of the highway. But to each his own. If you plan it right you can go from the border to Cabo with less than 100 miles of highway. If you want to see the tourist spots OK but the back country is much better.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 05:53 PM

Lol. If I had 23 days I would just go and decide where on the fly.
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 06:03 PM

thank you again for the feedback.
I want the participants to have the experience of "to the end and back"

and the best stops for an offroading group that is self sufficient.
with at least a stop in Cabo.

my daily drives/stops are not written in stone since I just looked for equitable distances for driving.

The format I hoped to achieve was drive,/stop 1/2 days,/drive,/drive,/stop,/drive,.....etc,........rinse repeat......

since this is during a holiday period, I wanted to be stationary over the Christmas holiday and stationary during the New years holiday.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 06:16 PM

Hi Chris and welcome to the sandbox!
Just seeing that spreadsheet gave me the jitters...Baja is not a great place if you are on a tight schedule as so many cool things come up to alter your travel plan. It might be wise to use that sheet as a rough outline and be open to changes that may come up due to accidents, breakdowns, screw ups etc.
Be aware that over the holidays especially at New Years there can be gas shortages that force you to wait a couple days in a place till the gas truck comes in so plan to always top up then and get gas when you can.
I agree that your drive time would be better spent maybe doing the coast loop on your way north (or south) that allows you to see some cool fishing villages Bahia Asuncion, Pta.Prieta, SAn Hipolito, La Bocana and Pta.Abreojos....all nicer than Bahia Tortugas. I can help organize a big lobster feast if you visit our village.
Have a blast and keep it loose!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 07:22 PM

We can make you a list of offroad routes if that is what you are looking for.

I'll start
After camping at hot springs double back to the north, gas at rumorosa and south past laguna hanson to ojos. Gas and luck at valle de trinidad.
East on hwy to laguna diablo dry lake bed. Turn right and go to san felipe. Be sure and stop and see jose.

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by ehall]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

I'll start
After camping at hot springs double back to the north, gas at rumorosa and south past laguna hanson to ojos. Gas and luck at valle de trinidad.
East on hwy to laguna diablo dry lake bed. Turn right and go to san felipe. Be sure and stop and see jose.

and Ox! ;)
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 08:03 PM

I agree, with 10 vehicles in caravan you have to stayu on a schedule...free wheeling it willl ahhh just cause problems. Nothing wrong with Tortugas.....some people just have something to sell. take the road along the coast as others have, from Punta ABreojos to Bahia Tortugas. And you can still drive through Asuncion.

The only thing I would change is stay in San Ignacio instead of Santa Rosalia (no where to camp in Santa Rosalia).
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

I'll start

and Ox! ;)

Yes Ox too. Enjoy the whoops on the powerline for a few miles.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 08:14 PM

From San felipe hit puertocitos and check out the hot spring. Lunch at alfonsinas in gonzaga bay. Say hi to coco then hit Calamajue wash and go to bola.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 08:56 PM

10 rigs?!! Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Baja is about solitude... Maybe go someplace else.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2017 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
10 rigs?!! Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Baja is about solitude... Maybe go someplace else.

there is always one in every forum.

I appreciate the suggestions regarding off roading. I am specifically looking for a route from Canyon de Guadalupe south to San Felipe.

(maybe through the playa?)

other suggestions regarding substituting one village for another I will need to consult a map to see if they add significant mileage to the trip. and re-read to understand the attraction of the alternate destination.

This is an over-landing trip but I don't want to beat up everyone on the dirt roads and lengthen their daily driving mileage significantly and reduce their amount of evening / camp/ gathering/ dinner/ drinking/ gathering time.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.