BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: winter 2019/2020 23 day baja trip planned(soliciting feedback ) for planning
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-27-2017 at 05:27 PM

I like his ideas, It would be a great trip for some. If i was going to spend 1 night in Cabo new years would be it. I hope they have a great time and get the "Baja Fever"

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-27-2017 at 07:01 PM

I am thinking that it would be more practical to leave the vehicles somewhere outside of Cabo and bus in to Mar de Cortez.

Or, is there no Nomad in Cabo who can accommodate all these rigs for camping or crashing on the tile? And then get them to the bus route for a night in town?
Nomads is such an "earthy" group that we dont seem to have a good Cabo connection. Most avoid Cabo on this board. I like offroading and camping, but Cabo is fun for a night. Completely concur on spending NYE in Cabo.

And for those of you who are suggesting that he/she stop somewhere north of there, well, that isnt in keeping with the "to the tip and back" idea.

Interesting that a person with USA in their name would highlight Boxer Day. What's up with that? High % of Canucks in the group?

[Edited on 8-28-2017 by Hook]

[Edited on 8-28-2017 by Hook]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-27-2017 at 07:18 PM
She?

I am reading the user name as; Chris Haynes USA.

It could go either way!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-27-2017 at 08:02 PM

I have edited to include both pronouns. It just seemed like a woman to me. Maybe not.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2017 at 08:30 PM

You can see Cabo without sleeping there. Some super beaches just north or the tropical mountains, both offer camping choices. If they want to night party, I suggest Las Vegas... it is not much different for that kind of zoo atmosphere, is it? Maybe watch one of Cameron's tv tours that ended in Cabo and maybe figure what hotel safely parked 30 4x4 Raptors and other rigs or motorcycles and support vehicles? Budget that in if Cabo overnight is a must. One nice thing about Baja is the options are many.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-27-2017 at 09:44 PM

This isn't a nomad trip it is their trip, I would not let others plan my trip, It's my trip. They are just asking for some advice and ideas. Let's not get into the usual peeing contest. I think, I ask too much.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 08:11 AM

For Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years, you'll need reservations depending on your plans (hotels), and many establishments may be closed (Christmas Day), and some hotels have 2 or 3 day minimums for these holidays. Too, that puts some pressure on the itinerary to make it all the way to Cabo in 9 days to make those reservations, bypassing so many wonderful sights. I spent a memorable New Years Eve at Laguna Manuela with a kayak group - camped at the top of the hill near the old lighthouse walls - fired up the stoves and cooked a wonderful spaghetti dinner. With 20+ people, you can bring your own music, dress up, dance - do it Baja style wherever you are.
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 11:25 PM

To the tip and back is the overriding theme.
hot springs every couple of nights is wonderful.
seclusion for camping is attainable in 4x4's
rigs will have plenty of jerrycans for gas.

I will be posting the trip as a 23 leg pictoral and ask again at that time for suggestions where people who wish to suggest can point to a specific leg(picture) and offer a suggestion.

I have been on other forums where some tell me to stay home or offer some other negativity. I thank all of the people who have made suggestions so far and look forward to more.

This trip is still over 2 years away. It is NOT for profit. Just a bunch of offroaders who have wheeled together in the past and now want to overland to baja.

I just finished a trip to Prudhoe bay(dead horse AK) and back. it was 8k miles. Doing 2k miles in the same time seems easy to me, having just done 4x that amount.

thank you to all again.
ChrisHaynesUSA

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by chrishaynesusa]
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 05:52 AM

Nice planning! Looks like a great trip!:bounce:
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:35 PM

Sorry if my post was negative, but the thought of being someplace alone and looking over my shoulder to see 10 rigs cruising up to camp nearby makes me shudder. It is becoming a lot more common these days though. Something about a convoy into Baja just bums me out.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:54 PM

I'm sure you will have a great trip and see many wonderful things. Take your time and don't drive after dark. Do a Margarita tour. Compare Margaritas as you wander down Baja and back.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 08:33 AM

" ... the thought of being someplace alone and looking over my shoulder to see 10 rigs cruising up to camp...."
Ha! Got a big surprise couple years ago on my backpack to Mision Santa Maria. Was about 7 mi. down the road - just past the overlook point where you can see the Gulf - and I look up and see someone standing on the rim of the cliff. I wasn't very far away so I hiked back up, only to see 3 jeeps and about 9 people milling around. They told me 12 more jeeps were coming - an offroad jeep club from Ensenada - they were headed to Mision Santa Maria to camp! One guy told me they'd give me a ride, but there was just no room with people and gear crammed in each vehicle. After they all passed, I thought hard about continuing on - I definitely was not planning to share my camp space with 40+ people. And one guy told me they had done some recon a few days before and the little stream that I was counting on that runs near the ruins was dry, and you could only get water in the canyon. So that made me turn around - hiking into that canyon a couple times hauling water was not in the plans either. So I hiked back a couple miles to a wonderful camp site for another night in that pristine desert area before I hiked out; one of the guys had given me a beer that I enjoyed with dinner. In hindsight, perhaps divine intervention. On the hike out, about 2 miles from Rcho Sta Inez, there was a group of about a dozen young people in sneakers carrying quart water bottles - told me they were going to the mission! A guy offered me some water, and I declined - "you'll need it" I told him. He insisted, said "I have more" and so I took about 8 oz. Then the rest of his group came over the hill - young girls in shorts, sneakers, quart water bottles. I told them "it's far" - they just passed me and went on - wonder what happened to them.
I still want to try again though - an opportune time after there's been some rain. Sorry if this is considered a hijack.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 10:52 AM

When our small Nomad group was camping at the mission (2010) a huge Jeep club arrived over the next hour, just after dark. They camped in the palms east of the mission and were no problem or noisy at all. Maybe they even heard Baja Bucko sing her Baja Cowboy love song at our campfire that night? Baja is big enough to share and anyone who travels bad roads to see it, have always turned out to be good people, like us!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 12:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
...the thought of being someplace alone and looking over my shoulder to see 10 rigs cruising up to camp nearby makes me shudder. It is becoming a lot more common these days though. Something about a convoy into Baja just bums me out.

You can't do anything about this. I too don't understand a convoy in Baja, this is not Chiapas. Not a typical convoy though, a group of off-roaders. Have seen something like this a few times, - a dozen or so ATV traveling from somewhere to somewhere. It's better when they have a leader and some sort of discipline, - less obnoxious.

Tranquility in Baja these days is difficult. Some camps/beaches are more deserted, and then - wham! an ATV or two roars in, then back, then again. In some places you don't even want to camp alone, it's not safe anymore. The safest places I've seen that provided the most tranquility were those without road access, not even with ATV.
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 10:55 AM

revised to include some suggestions.

Day Driving Mileage Lodging

Saturday 21 Drive to San Diego area/meet spot ??

Sunday 22 Drive To Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs 100 miles(38 miles off road) guadalupecanyonoasis

Monday 23 STAY IN Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs XX Guadalupe Canyon Oasis Hot Springs

Tuesday 24(Christmas Eve) Drive to San Felipe 90 miles(off road) San Felipe (10 miles north ) at http://petescamp.com/

Wednesday 25(Christmas) Stay San Felipe 54 miles San Felipe (10 miles north ) at http://petescamp.com/

Thursday 26(BoxerDay) Drive to Bahia de los angeles 205 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Friday 27 Drive to Punta San Francisquito 82 miles(off road) CAMP

Saturday 28 Drive to Mulege 199 miles(43 off road) CAMP/HOTEL

Sunday 29 Drive to Puerto Chale 222 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Monday 30 Drive to Cabo San Lucas Mexico 205 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Tuesday 31(NewYearsEve) Cabo San Lucas Mexico XX CAMP/HOTEL

Wednesday 1(New Years Day) Cabo San Lucas Mexico XX CAMP/HOTEL

Thursday 2 Drive to El Conejo 153 miles (on/off road) CAMP

Friday 3 Drive to Bahia Agua Verde 172 miles (37 miles offroad) CAMP

Saturday 4 Drive to Santa Rosalia 182 miles (25 offroad) CAMP/MOTEL

Sunday 5 Drive to Bahia Asuncion 190 miles (75 off road) CAMP/HOTEL

Monday 6 Stay in Bahia Asuncion XX CAMP/HOTEL

Tuesday 7 Drive to Guerrero Negro 117 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Wednesday 8 Drive to El Rosario (Boojum Trees) 224 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Thursday 9 Stay near El Rosario XX CAMP/HOTEL

Friday 10 Drive to Ensenada Mexico 155 Miles CAMP/HOTEL

Saturday 11 Drive to USA(tecate Border Crossing) 70 miles via MX3 CAMP/HOTEL

Sunday 12 Drive HOME ??
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 11:10 AM

Pretty complete...
I might change the full day at Pete's Camp for a full day at Bahia de los Angeles, however. I guess that being Christmas Day, you may want to be non-mobile?
Have fun!!!

chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for everyone's help.

now to let the appropriate RV/campspot owners know we are coming in 2 years 74 days :):)
Disastrogirl

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 06:37 PM

I second David K's suggestion to spend the extra day in Bahia de los Angeles. It's a magical place.
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 07:41 PM

Mileage isn't the problem. It's Mexican drunks per mile that is the problem. You should go hide in the desert till one week after New Years. Maybe then we won't find you having a yard sale on the side of hiway uno.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 08:12 PM

Great that you are headed to Bahia Asuncion! stop by and say hi to Blanca and Les in La Bocana on the way. From santa rosalia visit SAN IGNACIO ( a must visit, even is just for 1/2 an hour), the take the exit west to punta abreojos and take Miguel domingues street and follow the salt flats to LA BOCANA. Eat at our wonderful beach Cabaña restaurant and then head to Bahia asuncion for fun fun fun!

Blanca

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.