BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mexican Auto Insurance on-line
maroonedagain

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 10:50 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the advice.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 11:55 AM

Often the cost difference is, in part, due to the liability coverage on a
policy, in the past some liability limits on a policy were $50,000,
I'm overly careful in Mex, re: driving. $50k doesn't put me
at ease. 3 yrs. or so ago, Mex raised the accidental death amount, that is how much one is responsible for in that case.
So $300,000 is recommended, $500,000 is suggested. Whether
these numbers are overkill, they may be. But to come up short
carrying a low # on a policy, is not something I would want
to deal with
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 03:32 PM

I have always purchased my auto insurance through Lewis & Lewis (also online) based in Santa Monica. I agree that the real test of insurance is when you need to use it which, fortunately, I have not had to do. Has anyone had to process a claim using Lewis & Lewis?
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 03:58 PM

We went through Qualitas contracted with Lewis&Lewis and were theoretically insured against theft. When our boat motor was stolen, we spent a week going through hoops to get a police report. Getting a hold of someone who spoke any English at Qualitas on the phone was nuts, and the ensuing conversations were hilarious ("Were you in an accident? No? A theft? Was it a violent theft? Are you sure it wasn't an accident?").

One agent insisted that police report or no, we could not get a claim number until an adjuster came out to take pictures of the stolen motor... (let that sink in for a sec)... That our Mexican address did not exist in their system so we could not file a claim... That they were "not allowed" to communicate with us once we crossed back into the USA... Another agent finally gave us a claim number... I got a different story with every agent I talked to.

Eventually we got back and fought it out with Lewis&Lewis, and agreed upon reimbursement for the policy fees. Qualitas said they had already mailed us a check... a month later said they were putting it in the mail then... Three months later someone actually mailed us a check from San Diego, which by then we had given up expecting.

Moral of the story: Never again with Qualitas. We will go through Discover Baja or Bajabound next time so that we have someone else at bat for us.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:28 AM

Bajabound.com has always worked for me, but I have yet to make a claim. It is necessary to have a valid tourist permit for the insurance to be valid. I know someone who tried to save a few bucks, got in a wreck and was not covered. Gotta read the small print :fire:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
...It is necessary to have a valid tourist permit for the insurance to be valid. I know someone who tried to save a few bucks, got in a wreck and was not covered. Gotta read the small print :fire:

I don't think that's true...read your contract

insurance agents here say not true

payment ....registration numbers correct...that's all you need

another "urban myth"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 06:21 AM

Just to add some more info here, we have used Vagabundos for the past 16 years, mainly because they also insured our sailboat in La Paz. We did have an uninsured driver hit our car and called it in to Vagabundos. The same day an adjuster came out to our boat in La Paz, took photos of our car, took me down to the police station for a copy of a report (police had been contacted), and let me take him to lunch and a couple of beers. Vags let me have damage repaired in the USA and paid less the deductible. We also had great coverage with damage to our boat from hurricane Marty, again adjuster came out and took photos and payment for repairs was generous. I'm sure many other companies would be equally responsible as Vagabundos when a claim is made, but my only experience is with them.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 06:38 AM

May be true, may be false, may be a myth, however I wouldn't want to be in an accident while in a foreign country without the proper immigration status.......just one more thing to make your day miserable

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
...It is necessary to have a valid tourist permit for the insurance to be valid. I know someone who tried to save a few bucks, got in a wreck and was not covered. Gotta read the small print :fire:

another "urban myth"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 08:07 AM

It is necessary to have a valid tourist permit for the insurance to be valid.

That has been an ongoing debate.

Perhaps it is not true but insurance companies use it to deny a claim. I wouldn't put it past them, especially companies that aren't doing well financially.

Just assume it's true.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

another "urban myth"

I have a few weeks old ACE policy from Bajabound, in direct
contradiction to what you claim, in the policy fine print,
1.6 - EXCLUSIONS #8, states: the policy does not provide
assistance for the following: 'The insured is illegally in the
country',( as in no Immigration papers). Do I think the Mex
Mex Ins Co would use that clause to deny a claim? No.
But by purchasing the policy one is agreeing to the terms
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Just to add some more info here, we have used Vagabundos for the past 16 years, mainly because they also insured our sailboat in La Paz. We did have an uninsured driver hit our car and called it in to Vagabundos. The same day an adjuster came out to our boat in La Paz, took photos of our car, took me down to the police station for a copy of a report (police had been contacted), and let me take him to lunch and a couple of beers. Vags let me have damage repaired in the USA and paid less the deductible. We also had great coverage with damage to our boat from hurricane Marty, again adjuster came out and took photos and payment for repairs was generous. I'm sure many other companies would be equally responsible as Vagabundos when a claim is made, but my only experience is with them.

a few years back the vag club had trouble with the Mexican Insurance provider they were using...he went broke...

they didn't back their insurance...if you had a claim you were "sol"

no one American really can...
your insurance is ONLY as good as the Mexican insurance company...

the American seller can only be of assistance...that's it

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 11:35 AM

When I had a claim no one asked about my immigration status. That really surprised me. In the end I was finally paid but Lewis & Lewis had to make a lot of calls and e-mails.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 04:27 PM

I completely agree that one's Mexican insurance is only as good as the Mexican Insurance company they represent. However, your statement that Vagabundos left folks "sol" and didn't back their insurance needs some credible references to ascertain the statement's validity. I certainly had positive experiences with both their auto and boat insurance and am quite aware of many folks that have had identical experiences. That has not been so for many with other insurance companies, but to malign them here has no merit. If you have a personal experience with being "sol" with Vagabundos then let's hear it.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
We went through Qualitas contracted with Lewis&Lewis and were theoretically insured against theft. When our boat motor was stolen, we spent a week going through hoops to get a police report. Getting a hold of someone who spoke any English at Qualitas on the phone was nuts, and the ensuing conversations were hilarious ("Were you in an accident? No? A theft? Was it a violent theft? Are you sure it wasn't an accident?").

One agent insisted that police report or no, we could not get a claim number until an adjuster came out to take pictures of the stolen motor... (let that sink in for a sec)... That our Mexican address did not exist in their system so we could not file a claim... That they were "not allowed" to communicate with us once we crossed back into the USA... Another agent finally gave us a claim number... I got a different story with every agent I talked to.

Eventually we got back and fought it out with Lewis&Lewis, and agreed upon reimbursement for the policy fees. Qualitas said they had already mailed us a check... a month later said they were putting it in the mail then... Three months later someone actually mailed us a check from San Diego, which by then we had given up expecting.

Moral of the story: Never again with Qualitas. We will go through Discover Baja or Bajabound next time so that we have someone else at bat for us.

I had posted back in August that I had never had to file a claim with Qualitas. Sadly, that changed a week ago when my Suburban was involved in a roll over accident. I wasn't driving or even in the car when it happened (a friend of mine was driving some people back to Loreto).

I called Qualitas the next morning (my friend who was driving was immediately put in jail) and I was given a claim number on the spot. An adjuster arrived later that morning, probably within a few hours. A lawyer from Qualitas also arrived later in the day to provide a legal defense for my friend who was driving. Fortunately there was no alcohol involved so the driver was released 48 hours later. I was relieved to learn that any driver of the vehicle was also covered.

I am in the middle of the claims process now and will report how it ends up but so far Qualitas & Lewis and Lewis have been very responsive. I am meeting the adjuster at the vehicle this week and I'm guessing it will be a total loss. They have told me that they will pay me the actual cash value of the vehicle if that's the case.

The only frustrating thing has been the lack of English speaking Qualitas personnel. Of course, this all took place in Mexico so I shouldn't expect English speaking adjusters & lawyers but it would have been easier if they did speak English. Fortunately I had friends with me who could translate.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 09:03 AM

Unfortunately I had an accident south of Ensenada and had to use my insurance purchased through BajaBound. FORTUNATELY BajaBaound gave me great service when I had some disputes with insurance company and all was settled to my satisfaction.
In fact, later today I will be purchasing another policy to cover that same truck for my trip to the Baja 1000.
You can count on Bajabound to support you when you need it!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
Unfortunately I had an accident south of Ensenada and had to use my insurance purchased through BajaBound. FORTUNATELY BajaBaound gave me great service when I had some disputes with insurance company and all was settled to my satisfaction.
In fact, later today I will be purchasing another policy to cover that same truck for my trip to the Baja 1000.
You can count on Bajabound to support you when you need it!

This ^^^^^^

Speaking from experience regarding my vehicle accident, Geoff of BajaBound was there every step of the way. Extremely satisfied with BajaBound and HDI Seguros
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 10:05 AM

Years ago I always bought from Oscar Padilla at the border. His company was known far and wide for its quality.
Well, my racing partner had a fatal in Culiacan (Mentally unbalanced guy walked out in front of his car on the carreterra)
While it is an amazingly interesting story which would entail pages and pages here....
the short of it was that the Padilla guy was there immediately and asked for a personal "tip" which Jack refused to pay, and 8 days later Jack finally got out of the Culiacan Carcel.
We flew down to Nogales several times for the trial against Padilla, in the end we won, but the settlement was not worth the hassle, time in jail, etc.

Stick with BajaBound!!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.