Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexican Drivers Liscense
Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2005 at 12:30 PM
Mexican Drivers Liscense

What is involved in getting one ? What is the cost ?
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2005 at 03:19 PM
driving

Price--You have to prove you live in baja when you go to the dmv. In buena vista there are no street addresses so utility bills and cell phone statements worked for me. I get my license in santiago and the price was I believe 338pesos and is good for three years with a small renewal fee each year. There is no test or driving skills to perform, just walk in give them two small pictures of yourself, one for the license and the other for there files, pay, and the license is yours. I am sure it is different in larger metropoliton areas. fishin rich
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2005 at 05:34 PM

In Ensenada Americans must produce either an FM2 or 3 to obtain one. They really follow this to the tee. I also suggest if you are driving a car with American plates and are pulled over show your American License. Do not show your Mexican License. You must present your American license when you are driving your American plated vehicle.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 02:11 PM

A neighbor of mine got his in San Felipe. He has an FM-3.
He was required to go to the Red Cross for a health statement. That part of it consisted of the official asking him how he felt and whether he had any problems. He then went back and took a written test on a computer terminal. The test was in Spanish, but he was allowed to have his Mexican spouse sit next to him and translate.
Obviously, methods and requirements vary from town to town.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 02:35 PM

In Rosarito I was told I needed a statement from the Mayor that I was a resident in good standing. This consisted of my presenting my credentials, FM3, passport and proof of residence.

Of course I never needed to use it. Went in the license office, filled out the form, got my picture taken, paid the fee and got the license. No test, ID, nada.

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 02:42 PM

L Lips, how come is it that you would show your US license if driving a US plated car? If that is the case there would be no point in having a Mex license if you kept your cars plated in the US. Si? :?:

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 03:33 PM

Here is Los Cabos, you have to have an FM3 and have proof of your blood type.

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 03:44 PM

Wholly unrelated, but an exacting example of why I love Mexico/Baja....No two things are alike. Adventure that our grand parents grew up with!

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 06:13 PM
El Jefe Question

The ONLY reason to have a Mexican Drivers License is to drive a Mex registered vehicle. If the vehicle is U.S. Registered, the licensed driver must be also. The same holds true for a Mexican registered vehicle.

Although I had known this for years, an article in the L.A. Times a number of years back pointed this out. A San Diego businessman who also had a plant facility in Tijauna with a Mexican partner gave the keys to his Brand-New Chevy Surburban to his Mexican partner to go out to the airport to pick up a package for the business. The partner ran into a roadblock and the Chevy was confiscated.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 08:50 AM
Driving test in Loreto

You must take a test. You have to run four 4-way stops and a red light without hitting someone. Also, you must have no muffler or at minimum and really loud muffler on your car. Then they hold a mirror under your nose to see if you are breathing. If so --- you pass and get your license.:P

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 11:16 AM
I got mine in Rosarito

took a written test which I passed but also had to take a test omn the computer at the DMV which I didnt understand.
So, one of the guys took it for me and only got an 80%. Naturally I complained about the poor score but he passed me anyway.
Both my vehicles are registered in the u.s. and whenever I get pulled over, I show my Mexican license. Seldom do I have to pay for doing something wrong and Im not sure of the reason but, a Mexican drivers license works for vehicles registered in either country as long as you obtain it legally.
As in having some sort of resident status be it FM3, FM2 or whatever.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 01:12 PM

While we all know that a part of The Baja experience is the random and accomadating way in which the laws are usually enforced, the prudent course is to comply with the laws as written unless you are willing to accept the consequences of doing otherwise. If I had a vehicle that I didn't want impounded for fines, I would be sure that I followed the law.
azusa_bob
Banned

Mood: Hot to Trot!!

lol.gif posted on 2-21-2005 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
but also had to take a test omn the computer at the DMV which I didnt understand.
Obviously, the test "omn" the computer was in Spanish! :lol::lol::moon::moon:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
a Mexican drivers license works for vehicles registered in either country

It only works with pizzachit cars and vans. New vehicles are confiscated.:biggrin:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 03:14 PM

Locals (nationals with Mex dr licenses) hired a friend with US license to drive a truck to US - their truck had US plates and they didn't want to loose it.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
dono
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-22-2005 at 08:03 AM

I have rented cars in the U.S. using my Mexican drivers license.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 10:20 AM
dono

In that instance, of course, you are dealing with U.S. Law and not Mexican law.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 05:05 PM
Dave,

Obviously you are familiar with my cars!:lol:
But then, if you lived where I live, drive where I drive, and do the things I do, you would understand why it would be pretty stupid to have it any other way.
Ill be driven these dungmobiles till the bamboo replacement parts quit workin!:biggrin:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 12:18 AM
Sooo cool you said that!

Quote:
Originally posted by tim40
Wholly unrelated, but an exacting example of why I love Mexico/Baja....No two things are alike. Adventure that our grand parents grew up with!

I was thinking about how my grandmother lived about 100 years ago...I used to ask "what was it like before electricity?" "what was it like before running water?"

Then I realize I'm here and some things haven't changed. I live in an area without water or electricity. I rely on modern technology to get me through the inconvienence. But in the campo outside Acapulco right now my mother in law is living like folks did about 100 years ago, feching water in a nearby stream, washing clothes in the river, riding a mule long distances. Some things haven't changed. And many parts of Baja are still this way. Even in the cities here, life is one adventure after another. Lack of too many rules and inconsistent enforcement of what ones there are is actually somewhat entertaining to live with.

I don't have a USA license anymore. Could I drive up there now, or should I get an international license? Ahhh, what do I care?:lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 07:32 AM

that is my way of looking at it to Pam. it is an adventure every time I do anything here it is deferent. if you cant stand change don't come to Mexico.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.