BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Any recent experience on getting a Sentri Pass?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 04:10 PM
Any recent experience on getting a Sentri Pass?

Anyone with recent experience?

How long does it take from start to finish to get one?

I am switching my South Dakota plated car back to California plates ( I really hated to do it for a number of reasons) and waiting for the new license plates with the new numbers. (It has been in Baja for the last 3 years and she is now living in California) When I get the new plates I will apply for the Sentri, etc.

Anyone have recent experience on a new application and the different time lines before you actually received the card? Any tips?

Thank you

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 04:52 PM
How long?

A year ago it took 4+ months

Tips? - patience
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 07:26 PM

We just made our appointment for November, looks like it is the
only time available! We started around May. I think John M is right,
Patience!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 07:41 PM

The SENTRI renewal process is much faster, only about 3-4 weeks.

AMEN

Es Todo Bueno
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2017 at 08:28 PM

I submitted my SENTRI renewal application in May; it's still "pending" as of the end of August.

But a friend of mine just applied for Global Entry and was approved immediately; and now Global Entry works for SENTRI lanes too. I didn't know that but looks like they have combined the programs and now you don't have to go to the border to apply for a SENTRI card; you can do it any US airport that has a Global Entry application center. My friend went to Long Beach and got an appointment right away.
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 06:36 AM

was Pretty easy for us to do.
apply on line.
pay the fees.
schedule a interview at boarder or select airport.
card arrives 2 weeks later.
no longer requiring a vehicle inspection.
entire process was about 6 weeks.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gallesram  

But a friend of mine just applied for Global Entry and was approved immediately; and now Global Entry works for SENTRI lanes too.

Hmm, that's a new twist. SENTRI lanes just got more crowded.

Now folks can get SENTRI (GOES) cards at any airport anywhere. Making it much easier. SENTRI just lost some of its exclusivity. Bummer.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 08:56 AM

The process for applying (Global Entri) is the exact same as Sentri.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...

been that way since 2011.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

But a friend of mine just applied for Global Entry and was approved immediately; and now Global Entry works for SENTRI lanes too.

Hmm, that's a new twist. SENTRI lanes just got more crowded.

Now folks can get SENTRI (GOES) cards at any airport anywhere. Making it much easier. SENTRI just lost some of its exclusivity. Bummer.

Only airports that have a BP Global Entry Enrollment Center (just like SENTRI).

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 09:58 AM

The overhead entry signs into the Sentri lanes at San Ysidro now say Sentri/Global entry. The new signs appeared a few weeks ago. Previously they only said Sentri.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 10:47 AM

for the most up to date info, best to check the CBP website. Even though there are new signs you will see this has been a rule for a while. Also you can see the process for applying...Approval is not immediate.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1293/kw/Sentri%...
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 12:10 PM

I applied for three renewals for wife, kid, self. Since expiration cycles hinge on birthdays, and birthdays are summer, spring, spring - my wife was looking at imminent expiration, but her renewal was approved in a few weeks.

Son and I have tons of time left, and have not yet been handled. But at least the Feds are clearly giving priority to those folks who are closer to expiration.

You can apply for renewal as soon as you are 1 year out from expiration.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
for the most up to date info, best to check the CBP website. Even though there are new signs you will see this has been a rule for a while. Also you can see the process for applying...Approval is not immediate.

Just to clarify, I didn't meant to imply that they were approved on the spot; but it didn't take the usual "months" that SENTRI used to take. They got their Global Entry cards within 1 month. Meanwhile my application to renew my SENTRI card has been in the queue for 5 months!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 12:28 PM

We had to do our SENTRI interview with CBP agent at the border. You can get global entry AND TSA pre at an international airport. We applied for SENTRI and were also given global entry & TSA Pre. Are you no longer required to interview at the Mexican border for SENTRI?

BTW we submitted applications in January 2016, interviewed end of March, had our cards middle of April 2016, car additions included.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Just to clarify, I didn't meant to imply that they were approved on the spot; but it didn't take the usual "months" that SENTRI used to take. They got their Global Entry cards within 1 month. Meanwhile my application to renew my SENTRI card has been in the queue for 5 months!

Process for global entry and sentri are the same.. My sentri took 2 months.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
We had to do our SENTRI interview with CBP agent at the border. You can get global entry AND TSA pre at an international airport. We applied for SENTRI and were also given global entry & TSA Pre. Are you no longer required to interview at the Mexican border for SENTRI?

BTW we submitted applications in January 2016, interviewed end of March, had our cards middle of April 2016, car additions included.

When you make the appointment for your SENTRI interview you are given options of any enrollment center. I chose Tucson INternational Airport.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 03:41 PM

Our renewals have been pending for over 5 months.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Sdclark

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:25 PM

We applied in Jan and took about 12 weeks (april) to be approved. At that time next appointments in San Diego were Aug. We were able to get appointment in Calexico the next week, almost the next day if we wanted, keep that in mind.

Do not wait for your plates to apply, you will still need to add your car at your appointment or online after appt. That wait I am told is 23 weeks. yes, 6 months for car to be approved.

If you have children then you save money going Sentri. If you aren't signing up your kids go Global Entry. Much faster and a little cheaper I think.

My 2 cents
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:38 PM
I'm now officially confused!

Sentri VS Global Entry

Unless I read it all wrong, the Global seems to be cheaper than the Sentri.

What advantages does the Sentri have over the Global entry?

The big reason for me to get one of these is for driving from Mexico into the USA. A bonus is being able to clear immigrations and customs faster at LAX, etc.

It seems like some of the replies indicate that the Global Entry on it's own will let you go to the Sentri lanes.

What, if any, are the cons to having a Global Entry VS a Sentri?

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:46 PM

your government at work - pay for two different systems to do the same thing

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.