BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Any recent experience on getting a Sentri Pass?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Sentri VS Global Entry

Unless I read it all wrong, the Global seems to be cheaper than the Sentri.

What advantages does the Sentri have over the Global entry?

The big reason for me to get one of these is for driving from Mexico into the USA. A bonus is being able to clear immigrations and customs faster at LAX, etc.

It seems like some of the replies indicate that the Global Entry on it's own will let you go to the Sentri lanes.

What, if any, are the cons to having a Global Entry VS a Sentri?

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by Howard]

I SUSPECT that GOES card will work in sentri lanes, but if you want to take a vehicle, you'll need a sentri. POSSIBLY(?), GOES cards can ride in a sentri vehicle w/ sentri driver? Just making logical educated guesses here!
Next time you cross sentri, ask the g man at the booth! :light::light::light::light:
Sdclark

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 07:12 PM

I believe you can add a vehicle to your Global Entry acct. Most fees are waived for kids under a certain age with Sentri but sentri takes longer. Global entry kids pay full fare but faster turn around.

This is my understanding. Yes, stupid to have two systems
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 07:02 AM

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

For all the confusion, here is the official GOES site with information. According to GOES, SENTRI is for driving into USA from Mexico or Canada. Global Entry is for flying into USA from foreign countries. TSA Pre is only for domestic flights. Maybe driving across the border is accepting Global Entry in lieu of SENTRI now? Seems that Global Entry & SENTRI have same requirements so why not? It did not cost more to add Global Entry and TSA Pre to our SENTRI pass.....
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
your government at work - pay for two different systems to do the same thing

From what I could research, SENTRI came first, GOES came next. The SENTRI program was very successful, as was the GOES program. Rather than combine the names they kept the programs separate but combined the benefits. Why they couldn't just get rid of SENTRI & call everything GOES, who knows?

I'm the guy that usually does all the research, is prepared, is the veteran Mexican traveler, etc. My friend has been to Mexico twice, hardly ever travels, etc. So when she said "I went to the Long Beach airport and enrolled in a program that lets me use the fast lane at the border", I thought, "she's going to learn the hard way, but I'll let her figure this out". When we were talking the other day and she said they were going wine tasting this weekend in Ensenada, I said "stay away from the border; it will be a mess on Monday coming back". "But I can use that fast lane with my new card" she said. "I even gave them the info for my car when I applied in Long Beach because they said if I paid a bit more I could get my car in the program too". That smelled like maybe she was right; when I applied for GOES way back when, they never asked about a car.

So I looked into it further and realized that she was, in fact, right! That's when I learned that they combined the benefits of the programs but kept the different names intact. Someone earlier posted a link to the CBP website which justifies the info; I told her to print that page & take it with her in case an agent has a different understanding when she uses the SENTRI lane.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 09:06 AM
Answer from the horses mouth...

I called U.S. Customs and Border Protection this morning at LAX and got some type of recording that gave no help. I then called the Long Beach U.S. Customs and Border Protection and a live person answered immediately and was extremely helpful and friendly.

She said that the Global Entry has exactly the same benefits as the Sentri and also has the Nexus Pass included.

She said the application has to be filled out on line and she apologized for the long wait until an appointment, "maybe October or November."

I asked her if there were any disadvantages of a Global VS a Sentri and she said no, the Global was actually better because it includes the Nexus.

Certain American Express credit cards (The expensive fancy ones like the platinum card) will reimburse you for the fee, up to $100. Just use the card to pay and you get a statement credit of up to $100. I am going to apply for a card and will keep everyone in the loop of my progress. The AMX platinum card is shockingly expensive, $550 a year but you get the following benifits;
1: $200 a year in airline credits for anything except tickets but you have to pick the airlines each year.
2: $100 towards the Global or Sentri
3: $200 a year towards Uber
4: Entrance for you and 2 guests into around 1,000 world wide airline clubs at the airport
5: At least 60,000 bonus points if you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months.

I think there are more smaller benefits but after the shock of the $550, one can get there monies worth if you take advantage of all it has to offer

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 09:19 AM

More info from the CPB:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1295/~/using-gl...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 08:58 PM
For inquiring minds....

Tonight I applied on line for a Global Entry and will keep everyone in the loop on the progress.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 11:07 PM

Thanks for the awesome info Howard. This thread was the typical chit-show of ambiguity before you clarified everything (granted most of it was caused by the govt. maintaining 2 different, overlapping, programs).

You saved me a lot of research as I was just getting ready to apply and want both. Someone told me in another thread 2 days ago you need to apply to each separately. Note: ppl should only post if they know the latest, most up to date info!

I also have Platinum AmEx, and your info confirmed what I thought I knew.

Thanks again for clarity. It's good when posters step up with facts and are very clear and straight forward in relaying it.

[Edited on 11-8-2017 by JZ]
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 11:59 AM

Finally had my interview for my SENTRI renewal a couple of weeks ago, got the card last Friday. The agent confirmed what Howard says by asking me why I applied for SENTRI renewal when Global Entry was "better, cheaper and faster." Global Entry will be the box I check next time.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 01:24 PM

I got my Sentri about a year ago and took the interview in Calexico boarder station.
I had ONLY applied for Sentri but while the officer was copying every page of my passport she told me I would get the Global entry along with the Sentri. Which I did.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 08:40 PM

We go for our Global in 2 weeks, we have been waiting app. 3 months
for your appointment. Will be doing it in Otay Mesa. then going
south, for a long week!
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 11:25 PM

Bottom line for those still reading.....

If you have kids, don’t fly internationally, and want to save some money get SENTRI (you can add all of your children under 14 at no extra cost, for each kid over 14 you only pay $14.50 for fingerprints)

FOR ALL OTHERS, GET GLOBAL ENTRY!!!! It works the same as SENTRI (access to SENTRI lanes, car included at no extra charge) when driving but you also get TSA pre-check and use of the expedited customs and immigration lines at any US international airport.

With global entry all of your children must have passports and each person, children included, must pay the $100 fee.

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by WestyWanderer]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.