Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A few pics from Yellowstone and Wyoming
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 07:14 AM
A few pics from Yellowstone and Wyoming

First time in this neck of the woods. Wyoming is great, and there's no place like Yellowstone. Went to a limestone cave, sulpher hotsprings, found dinosaur bones, visited dinosaur dig site, excavated fish fossils, went to petroglyph sites, saw Old Faithful do its thing, classic bison encounter, swam at Firehole. Disappointed that I didn't see any moose or cowboys. Camped for 16 days.

Granite Creek hotspring – hot water flows from base of cliff behind the pool, then flows into the river

I never saw any bears

Dinosaur bone – I found 3 in this area

Minnetonka cave

[Edited on 8-29-2017 by wilderone]

[Edited on 8-29-2017 by wilderone]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-29-2017 at 07:43 AM
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 09:34 AM

The thing I like to remember while in Grizz Country is that they are at the top of the food chain.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 11:04 AM

I was always a little spooked when I camped in places other than a campground - I'd always walk around and look for scat, clawed tree trunks, paw prints, food sources. Travelers seem to adhere to the rules to not leave anything out, secure everything out of sight, take your trash with you. I was more worried that cattle would come through and step on me in the dark! Lots of BLM and National Forest grazing land out there.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 01:46 PM

Was in Yellowstone in the early 2000 and was amazed at what little wildlife there was to observe. Same for the Canadian parks, Banff, Jasper and Kootenay. I was there in the 60's and there were bears everywhere in abundance, Black, Brown and Grizzlies. They actually were all over the roads, stopping traffic. Sitting on their haunches begging for handouts. They were daily in the campground. One cub climbed into a mesh garbage can(no enclosed ones at that time) and someone turned the can upside down over the cub and mother bear came unglued. Smacked the can 20 yards in the air and everybody ran for their lives. Also could see dozens of bears standing in the rapids fishing for salmon. Not to safe but a lot more fun in those days. Lots of Bison ,deer and Elk around also, far cry from today.

[Edited on 8-29-2017 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 02:55 PM

I feel bad that you didn't see any bear activity so here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5AwcMWb1Ns

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 03:55 PM

The current estimate of Grizzly bears in Yellowstone is 280-610. For Black bears it is 500-650. We drove thru in September 2011 from the west side and out thru the northwest gate and I stopped a few times for pictures but never saw any bears.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 04:24 PM

Most of those bears are being relocated for THEIR safety.... ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 05:46 PM

I would like to learn more about the fish fossil excavating. :dudette:

We spent 2 1/2 days in Yellowstone on our way to Casper for the TOTAL Solar Eclipse. It was my first time and I can't wait to return. We saw lots of Bison, deer, elk, one fox,one coyote,and one Brown (grizzly) bear dining on an elk carcass in the Yellowstone river. We did not see any wolf. Going back up September 2018 for at least a full week to see more wildlife and fewer people.:saint:

This same road trip we spent two days hiking at Dinosaur National Monument. I would call that place a hidden gem. We hardly saw anyone once we got out of the parking lots. The geology is incredible and you can touch a 149 million year old dinosaur femur at the Quarry site.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 07:29 PM

Last year a tourist somehow (think he climbed over a barrier) fell into one of the ''acid'' pools and evaporated.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yellowstone-man-dissolved-t...

Yellowstone is a super volcano with a 40 mile caldera.

http://www.newsweek.com/yellowstone-supervolcano-map-ground-...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 07:43 PM

“… what little wildlife there was to observe”
I was surprised as well since I thought they’re more or less protected and would thrive within the Park boundaries. I was also surprised at the number of foreigners in Yellowstone; everyone who comes – from around the world – want to see the wildlife that we all see in the films. Here is an “animal jam” for a bear that was casually grazing in the grass about 100 yards away. People go bonkers when an animal is spotted. Of course I went over too!

The attraction was for this bear which I got a glimpse of with binoculars – see that little brown speck in the middle?

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2017 at 08:03 PM

Wilderone, we also just did the Yellowstone and MT tour and loved it also. We did see Bears, Moose and lots of Bison. I was a little taken back by the crowds in some of the places. We stayed in West Yellowstone in two different RV Parks, we loved the one over by the Wolf Rescue place. I was kind of cool to listen to the wolves howl at night. We also really enjoyed our stay in Cody, WY. We were there the same weekend that the Plains Indian Pow Wow was happening... we really enjoyed our time there and loved the Indian Tacos. Anyway, it was a great time and I would recommend the trip to others. JH
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 03:27 PM

I know that pool with the river in the background, haven't been there in a few years but thought about visiting during the solar eclipse. Back in the day, it had no fence and a diving board on the deep end. Easy to slip over the side, quite a fall if you did. And no, I'm not telling the name or how to get there, Wyoming sees way too many tourists now and they have ruined a lot of attractions. My family had a small motel about 18 miles away and we used to mountain bike to the pool. Those were the days, the area now features 40 acre gentleman ranches for big bucks.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 06:20 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 08:14 PM

wow, what scenery.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 06:01 AM

The Firehole Canyon swimming hole in Yellowstone is a very refreshing part of a sightseeing day. Several hotsprings flow into it from upriver and has hot upwelling within the riverbed, so the temperature in this stretch is about 70 degrees, instead of the usual very cold snowmelt temps.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.