BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Any Recent Experience in bringing a dog from USA to Baja??
maroonedagain

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 09:10 AM
Any Recent Experience in bringing a dog from USA to Baja??

Has anyone recently brought a dog into Baja by automobile? What difficulties, if any, did you experience. Does the health certificate have to be within the past 5 days?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 09:30 AM

There is a thread that was posted a while back that had some input from various Nomads, including me. I think the new requirements are aimed at air travel, but I have not crossed with my dog since November, so things may be getting stricter.

I also would like to hear from more recent travelers since I am headed south soon.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86728&got...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
maroonedagain

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 11:39 AM

AKgringo Thank you for the reply and the link to the topic thread. It was very helpful.
I will have a health certificate done within 10 days of land crossing and all vet records so I should be OK.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 12:03 PM

I hope there are no surprises for you, and please post your experience here. I will be about a month behind you.

The certificate is valid for thirty days, but airlines always want it within ten days. I have never been asked for one entering Mexico (yet!).

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 12:03 PM

Anyone welcoming of mans best friend to their family should be honored, along with evidence of required inoculations, if they intend to bring them north of the border.

There are so many of these needed and absolutely love based creatures that have earned the respect of any aware member of humanity.

A longtime member of our shared Baja experience in Cabo has been influential in publicizing the need for providing a home for these so deserving love based creatures.

Debby, thanks for your advocacy on behalf of those loving creatures who have had none to defend them in your Cabo regions.

The need for sponsors is greater than it has even been, and your calling for giving to those whose love is so sorely needed, is, as always, to be congratulated. You do this out of your heart and it is not forgotten.

One last thought I have to impart is, that a simple gaze from us humans, is the same as a hug to these everlasting lovable manifestations of nature. Thanks to all here.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 12:30 PM

Not recent, late Jan 2017, but since the Jan implementation noted in the above link -- pulled into Mexicali East and Aduana asked if I had a dog in the cab of the truck and I said yes. He declined to check the cab, poked around the bed of the truck and sent me on my way. I parked and went into the IMN office where I noticed two large posters, one on a wall and one on a sandwich board, explaining the health certificate requirements. Apparently the folks outside don't read the information inside. I was not asked for any paperwork (which I had). Due to the inconsistencies of enforcement I would not assume my experience to be yours. I'll keep getting the dang form and other paperwork someone may someday ask for. The hassle beforehand is way better than messing with it in the middle of a trip.
maroonedagain

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 02:12 PM

Agreed ! Thank you for your post
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 02:37 PM
Health Certificate

Not having seen (or needed) one in 20+ years, I'm unfamiliar with their current appearance, but .......................... could they be reproduced via desktop publishing ?

Over the years, I created a LOT of other documents which passed the test with Mexican officials AND a few (many years back) that met the U.S. test, including "Vet" certificates that looked better than some of the originals.
maroonedagain

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 02:46 PM

AKgringo - I should be crossing about Sept. 17 - 20. I will post my crossing experience here.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Not having seen (or needed) one in 20+ years, I'm unfamiliar with their current appearance, but .......................... could they be reproduced via desktop publishing ?

Over the years, I created a LOT of other documents which passed the test with Mexican officials AND a few (many years back) that met the U.S. test, including "Vet" certificates that looked better than some of the originals.

This, exactly. Takes 2 mins with Word.
Rocinante

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 10:21 AM

Crossed Mexicali East on Aug 6 & was never asked, which was good because we couldn't find an open Vet on a Sunday and just decided to go anyway. They did a seconday because of the trailer but nothing said about the dog.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-5-2017 at 05:49 AM

This is the most recent health certificate form I received from my vet https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

I know I will get flack here, but when I drive down I fill out, print and sign it myself. I enter all current information on it. Being I cross into Baja twice a year this has saved hundreds of dollars (CA vets are expensive). However I also carry a vet report of current vaccinations and rabies certificate. My dog also has a current license. The latter items are more for crossing back into USA.

I have never been asked for papers for my dog when entering into Baja by automobile, but definitely had to have it when I flew into Loreto.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 9-5-2017 at 06:29 AM

In thirty years going back and forth, I have never been asked for any paperwork. Mostly in Mexicali, both crossings, but Friday a friend came down thru San Luis with their dog and were asked for the dogs health certificate, coming south. Luck for them they had one so no problem. I thinks some of the smaller crossings enforce the rules because they have the time. At this point I would have one with me.
Good luck
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2017 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
This is the most recent health certificate form I received from my vet https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

You're within the spirit of the law filling this out. I always have one filled out by a Vet for going South though it's usually 3 months old. I'm prepared to negotiate the 10 day Rule. Current vaccinations would be the most important thing.

I've been crossing with a dog for 40 years and never been asked for documentation. And I always have paperwork in order.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-5-2017 at 03:04 PM
Dog Papers

Crossed coming south mon.the 4th sept. at Tecate they didn't stop us. When they stop us it's never a problem we carry the dog's paper's in the same folder as ours they are both up to date ::lol:
maroonedagain

[*] posted on 9-7-2017 at 06:07 AM

Thank you to all who replied.
I now have a certificate in addition to vet records.
The lesson here seems to be have the paperwork even if it is unlikely that you will need it because if you do need it and don't have it it can be a hassle.
SuperScrappy

[*] posted on 9-7-2017 at 08:21 AM

We just crossed on 9/3 at the Mexicali east border and they didn't care that we had seven dogs with us. No one asked for papers or anything. We did have recent vaccination records because they were due for their shots and had the vet give us a health certificate just in case. We have been crossing for years with at least six dogs each time (children of the fur!). The only thing ever required was on the return back to the US was rabies proof, but even that is usually handed back to us without the BP agent/inspector even looking at the papers
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2017 at 09:59 AM

Just a reminder for gringoes in Tecate with a dog in their vehicle. Tecate cops sometimes think it's a great ruse to make a traffic stop saying a dog not in a kennel is a violation of some law.

Be prepared to negotiate if you aren't using a kennel.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-7-2017 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SuperScrappy  
We just crossed on 9/3 at the Mexicali east border and they didn't care that we had seven dogs with us. No one asked for papers or anything. We did have recent vaccination records because they were due for their shots and had the vet give us a health certificate just in case. We have been crossing for years with at least six dogs each time (children of the fur!). The only thing ever required was on the return back to the US was rabies proof, but even that is usually handed back to us without the BP agent/inspector even looking at the papers

7?

Crikey!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-7-2017 at 01:48 PM

I believe that someone, a while back, posted information with the Tecate traffice code section that in fact it was a violation.........YMMV

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Just a reminder for gringoes in Tecate with a dog in their vehicle. Tecate cops sometimes think it's a great ruse to make a traffic stop saying a dog not in a kennel is a violation of some law.

Be prepared to negotiate if you aren't using a kennel.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.