Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Historical items found in Baja
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 01:03 PM
Historical items found in Baja

Last year I met a guy camping near San Quintin who was a Baja traveler for over 30 years (he may even be part of this board). Over the campfire he brought out a weathered sword that he claimed he found on the beach north of La Paz. He thought it was Spanish. It looked old but I thought he was just telling a story. Unfortunately, I didn't get any details as I really didn't believe him.

It got me to wondering if you or anyone else has ever found something that could be historic in your Baja wanderings?

Ted

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 01:06 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention another story I heard. I met a couple about 15 years ago in Ensenada and they told me while exploring in the Laguna Salada area they found a cave with two bows and some small wood items in it. They said they gave one to the history museum in Ensenada and kept the other one (which I'm sure is totally illegal). I never saw the items and never checked the museum, it was just a story they told.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 01:25 PM

Baja is chocked full of artifacts. Within 100' of our house we have found several obsidian arrowheads and zillions of chips....must have been a workshop of sorts. A couple weeks ago a friend found a worked scraper and a really cool bullet the size of a marble!

There is a local story of a guy finding an old metal helmet too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 03:44 PM

Good news .....but if any Nomads found the small pack I lost with 2 cameras, chargers, batteries, and other goodies on the road up to San Javier....please don't give them to a museum....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 03:52 PM

Read Herman Hill's book!

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Good news .....but if any Nomads found the small pack I lost with 2 cameras, chargers, batteries, and other goodies on the road up to San Javier....please don't give them to a museum....:biggrin:

They were that old, eh. Prolly still using 35mm film I reckon. That's museum quality there.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 05:12 PM

Arrowheads & glass :bounce:flotes
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 05:29 PM

I found some old bottle caps and beer cans on my lot probabally from the 70-80's

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 06:26 PM

Herman Hill's book is a great read. I met him in BOLA and bought a signed copy, rest his soul. Great guy!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 07:22 PM

I have photos of those bows - it was in 1994, and we all swore we'd leave them there. I scanned them but don't know how to turn pdf into jpg. Took photos of the photos, but postimage and photobucket aren't working. I'm so technochallenged.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I have photos of those bows - it was in 1994, and we all swore we'd leave them there. I scanned them but don't know how to turn pdf into jpg. Took photos of the photos, but postimage and photobucket aren't working. I'm so technochallenged.

https://pdf2jpg.net/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

[Edited on 9-13-2017 by David K]

[Edited on 8-26-2021 by BajaNomad]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 07:14 AM

Thank you for helping me out with these, David - always so helpful.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 08:44 AM

The pleasure is mine, Cindi!
Keep up the good history posting and protecting!

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:29 AM

What was the thought process in deciding to leave the bows where they were found?

Are those the same bows that the Ensenada couple referenced having found?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:58 AM

That cave is so shallow its a wonder the wood survived very long.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 10:52 AM

"What was the thought process in deciding to leave the bows where they were found?"
I believe this was a second trip to the location after they had been discovered (exactly by whom, not sure) on a previous trip. On this trip, there were about 8 people - we all hiked and climbed to the location, retrieved them for all to see, and put them back. At camp it was discussed that they should be left in situ I think because they didn't "belong" to anyone in the group, and now since so many knew they were there - which individual would have a right to claim them? It was several years later when I heard that they were donated to the Ensenada museum (didn't know that one was kept - by whom I don't know - I was no longer in contact with this group). Obviously a decision was made and another trip ensued. One person close to the group was an employee of the San Diego Museum of Man - she possibly had some influence in the museum donation. The bows were further back in the crevice and well protected. They were high in a cerro of rock ledges and boulders - I don't know who discovered them first or why he/she was climbing around in that area. I have to think that since these were found in the Laguna Salada area, around the time referenced, and there were 2 bows, and I heard about the donation at the Ensenada museum, that these are the same as referenced.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, Wilderon.

Very interesting. I would think that wooden bows are a very rare find in the desert.

I'm going to go look at the bow at the museum in Ensenada some time. Does anyone know where the museum is?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Thanks for the reply, Wilderon.

Very interesting. I would think that wooden bows are a very rare find in the desert.

I'm going to go look at the bow at the museum in Ensenada some time. Does anyone know where the museum is?

the north end of the Riviera
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 08:46 PM

Sounds like the same bows, but the man and woman I spoke with said they were rock climbers going to Canyon Tajo who were on a trip during Y2K (2000) frenzy. They weren't rock climbing at the time, just exploring canyons. Maybe they stumbled upon your bows.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.