BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Winter trip
Jimweski2

Mood: " I'll rest or sleep when I'm dead ". To many things to see and do.

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 10:26 PM
Winter trip

Hola, I've just retired and now I have the time to explore. I would rather not travel alone, so I'm looking for a small group that's interested in traveling together. I can travel anytime after November 1st. Haven't decided on the length of my trip. I would think 3 months, at least. If this interest you, let's chat.
Jim
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 08:34 AM

Jim, welcome tobajanmad. If you get on the road headed anywhere in Baja, simply talk to anyone at a gas station, make a new friend and voila! You have travel companions.

We have met amazing friends by talking to once complete strangers on the road.

Congratulations on your retirement, come by off the beaten path La Bocana and introduce yourself to us, stay at the B&B if that suits you or there are really great rustic cabañas on the beach.

And if you are near San Diego, and can bring donations for my kids' programs, let me know. I always need help!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Jimweski2

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 12:02 PM

I've been researching this trip for a while. Just found this forum with a lot of great information. I have a 2016 F250. Looking at campers most likely a slide in. Would like to Camp all around Baja not opposed to a few nights of not camping on a beach. I have a Harley, not sure about bringing it. I like to kayak, swim, snorkel, hike, fish, sightseeing and just using the time to chill and relax.:)

[Edited on 9-15-2017 by Jimweski2]
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 01:12 PM

Welcome, Amigo. Have you ever been down the Peninsula? Southern Baja has some fantastic camping during the winter season...can get crowded a bit. Read Trip reports here on BN and any/all other reports on the many great areas. November on the Bay of Concepcion is beautiful and Mulege isn't full up, yet. Many, many more spots for exploring. Lots of books with maps and pics, etc. Let us know how you're doing and drop in for a visit! Tomas
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 01:33 PM

Since you just retired and have time to explore, I recommend you keep it light and simple on your first trip down. Go to Cabo and back, see the whole peninsula. Get a feel for the roads, both paved and dirt, the towns, and whether the Pacific Coast or the Sea of Cortez coast is the best for you. Then decide about the kind of camper and maybe Harley trailer you want for the next trip.

It's a whole lot different than cruising around US highways.

Also recommend Bahia Concepcion for the kayaking, swimming, snorkeling you said you like unless you're an old surfer/diver and are comfortable in the colder, open ocean.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 01:35 PM

Welcome, Jim...
Have a look at the Trip Reports forum here on Nomad to get ideas of what you would like to see or do. Shall I presume your Ford is 4WD?
Bring a good air pump because deflating tires for sand driving or for softer washboard road driving is a big deal in Baja! Also, bring a tire plug kit and the pump can fill your tire back up after you plug it!

I have been doing some intense driving in 2017, over 10,000 miles in Baja researching for a new road-guide. I have shared many of my trip notes and photos here on Nomad and they are listed as TRIP #1-6 (so far).

If you have specific location questions, fire away here (or use the u2u message system here or email.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 01:52 PM

Welcome Jim! I intend to be somewhere in Baja about the same time as you, but the where and when is too much in flux to make a plan right now. If you stay in contact via this forum, I will try and meet up with you somewhere along your route and share what little I know about the peninsula.

I usually travel solo, plus dog, but I understand the desire to travel with a group. Through the 60s, 70s, and 80s, my parents covered all of Mexico on their winter travels. They were comfortable on their own anywhere, but my mom really loved the social aspect of circling the wagons and meeting the other travelers. I know she would rather do that, than stay in a nice hotel!

If a convoy is what you are looking for, you might want to check the Vagabundos Del Mar website. I have not used them for many years, but it is another resource!

Keep us posted on your plans, and there is also the U2U (private message) function on this board if it is more suitable for your needs.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Jimweski2

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 06:20 AM

Hola,
Thanks for all the information and help. My truck is a 4wd, only way to go....
I'm prior military and I've also traveled around the US and to a few European locations. I've been to Mexico 2x's, but never to the peninsula .
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:42 AM

welcome Jim to the sandbox...as stated by others...if you dont find someone to travel with you can hook up with Nomads all up and down the peninsula who will welcome you like family...look forward to meeting you here in Bahia Asuncion when you come and camp...or maybe at the whale lagoon Laguna Ojo de Liebre by Guerrero Negro which is an awesome place to camp too....you will have a blast.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
welcome Jim to the sandbox...as stated by others...if you dont find someone to travel with you can hook up with Nomads all up and down the peninsula who will welcome you like family...look forward to meeting you here in Bahia Asuncion when you come and camp...or maybe at the whale lagoon Laguna Ojo de Liebre by Guerrero Negro which is an awesome place to camp too....you will have a blast.

Shari rocks!

Enjoy this video (turn on speakers) of our Baja Extreme 2016 Tour (4 4x4 Toyotas) which included two nights at Shari's Bahía Asunción Inn. You can see Shari and her love of Asunción as she takes us into town for Mexican Independence Evening, ONE YEAR AGO, TODAY!

This September 2016 trip is detailed in the Nomad Trip Reports forum...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 08:03 AM

If you are a Facebook fan, there is a forum there related to Baja Caravans.
Bajagringo is the moderator for the site.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 07:07 AM

Here go my tips for a safer trip:

Lock up wherever you are.

The military stops are for arms and drugs - keep an eye on the guys the entire time they go thru your vehicle and don't leave money/your docs/cameras inside vehicle. Keep them on your person. I have heard of folks that give the military guys candy and such to brighten their day.

Sometimes the ATMs - for no good reason - don't work that day. Hit them up BEFORE you run out of cash. You can always send yourself cash up to $1500 dollars via wells fargo but you have to set this up at the bank beforehand.

You might want to bring pencils/pens/stickers to give away to kids! Lots of them will come by and start up a conversation.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.