Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Two way radios
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 06:21 PM
Two way radios

Hey fellow nomads we are looking for some suggestions for two way type communication devices we can use in the backcountry ( Ventura/ Santa Barbara counties) for our mule/horseback pack trips. Any suggestions? Thanks!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 06:36 PM

Check out the Garmin inReach. It has GPS, and emergency satellite beacon and 2-way satellite texting.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 06:54 PM

If you just want two communications such as person to person or vehicle to vehicle then get the Baofeng handheld radio UV-5R at Amazon for about $35 each. Better than CB, FRS, GMRS, etc. Use the key lockout so dummys can't screw with it.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 07:48 PM

I agree with the Baofeng units from Amazon. They are 2m/70cm amateur(ham) radio band which requires a license, but operating them on simplex in the back country, you should be OK.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 09:28 PM

If you do any boating a pair of Icom vhf radios are a good choice. Versatile but a little pricey at $125 each. Love mine long battery life good range
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 10:59 PM

BaoFeng has a newer 8w radio for $62. You can add a better antenna for longer range.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-40...

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-NA-771-15-6-Inch-SMA-Female...
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:01 AM

^^ What JZ said. That is the best value setup going. The better antenna helps a lot in Baja. They can be programmed for a variety of channels too.
Warf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:07 AM
2 meter ham band

Our little group has used 2 meter mobile units in our RZR's for a couple of years. 75 watts of transmit power gives you 50+ mile range depending on terrain. Perfect for Baja.

La Pazadise
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:25 AM

In the midlle of nowhere, with no repeaters, these are all line of site, correct?

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:55 AM

Pappy, tell us more about your use of them. Mule-to-mule? Mule to civilization? Are you going to places out of cell tower coverage? Or do you just want a more simple means of communication from mule-to-mule? Would you be giving a radio to clients or simply regular members of your packing group?

One free alternative you might try are the walkie-talkie apps for Android and/or iphone that got so much publicity during the recent hurricanes. But you must have cell tower service. Some are only person-to-person while others allow for a "broadcast" to anyone within your circle that has the app.

If mule to mule, the Baofengs would be fine. Actually, even a simple FRS/GMRS would be fine for that.

If you are wanting mule to civilization communications AND you are out of cell tower coverage, you might contact the Santa Barbara Amateur Radio Club and ask them about their repeaters' coverage. They have been around since 1920 and should know their coverage area. Persons would have to get a license to use it, which is cheap and easy these days.

Do the two Baofengs talked about in this post, transmit and receive on the marine frequency band, out of the box, folks? The marine band is within 136-174mhz, but is often blocked on many 2 meter radios. That could be valuable, as they could be used by anyone with a hand held marine radio, too.

There are some funny stories in the reviews about how much off-frequency these radios can be, even in harmonic frequencies above the main frequency you are transmitting on. Interference with neighbors TVs, baby monitors, etc. Also, many stories of having to send back the original radios as non-working, out of the box. Many dont have a very long lifespan, but they dont cost very much, either.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:00 AM

Portable VHF radios. The best are available in marine stores like West Marine. But search the internet. Best brand is ICOM.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
In the midlle of nowhere, with no repeaters, these are all line of site, correct?

They are line of sight, but communications do reflect off of things, especially if putting out 75 watts (which the hand held models do not).

A 75 watt model would have to me mounted and have a whip-type antenna. He probably is using the Yaesu FT-2700, 2800 or 2900.

There is really nothing that will beat out a 75 watt, 2 meter radio for relatively long distance communications from vehicle-to-vehicle, in areas without cell service. At least, nothing out of the box and ready to go. Especially if they have repeater access. And especially if cost is a consideration. There are portable ham radios that transmit at 150 watts but they are much more expensive than the Yaesu's mentioned above. 2900s can be found for less than 200.00.

People forget that one of the biggest advantages of radio is multiple parties receiving a single transmission, rather than calling multiple persons on a cell phone. Very valuable in large groups; this ability to broadcast communications. And no need for cell towers.

[Edited on 9-15-2017 by Hook]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:11 AM

VHF radio 101
Mostly line of sight. The hand held 5 watt portables - for sure. They work great when traveling with multiple companions. Very similar to the low watt CBs that some use in the states.
Regular VHF radios in the 50 watt plus are much better. I even talked to friends near El Golfo from the top of the trail north of San Felipe.
My latest radio is a 2 meter Ham unit bought with the mod to add all the spectrum, like commercial, Family, weather, etc. It is a Yaesu Ft-2900 ($219 with mod). 4 power levels 5, 10, 25, and 75 watt. Nice because I can use it set at 5 watts for family radio freqs and not get in trouble with the feds here in the states.
For any VHF radio one still needs to program it for freqs. For Baja the race forums will provide those freqs. I always buy my radios with the compatible CD and USB cable to allow me to program the radio to my desires or revise it when new people show up. Cost is low and the some radio sellers will give it to you free if you ask.
More dollars are required for coax, and antenna, but a mag mount does keep the cost down compared to a permanent mount. Of course a tuned permanent mount antenna will greatly improve both transmit and receive performance.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
9-15-2017 at 09:14 AM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-15-2017 at 09:15 AM
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 11:04 AM

I don't claim to know anything about these radios but over at RDC RuggedRadios is having a sale.....maybe deals to be had?

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=special_cat...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 11:28 AM

We've been using our portable marine radios when we ride our bikes. Distance is very limited in the trails. Not sure the output power, but guessing 5W. Two are older, so maybe even 2.5W.

Any one have an idea how much better the BaoFeng at 8W, plus upgraded antenna would perform?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Warf  
Our little group has used 2 meter mobile units in our RZR's for a couple of years. 75 watts of transmit power gives you 50+ mile range depending on terrain. Perfect for Baja.

75 watts of transmit power ??? WOW

I thought legal limit was 2 to 5 watts

you MUST be bleeding into tv along the way

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 03:02 PM

BOW FUNG's is the best ..ICOM is 3rd world these days...For once I agree with JZ...Mulege Al? Who would want to talk to him?:biggrin:

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
We've been using our portable marine radios when we ride our bikes. Distance is very limited in the trails. Not sure the output power, but guessing 5W. Two are older, so maybe even 2.5W.

Any one have an idea how much better the BaoFeng at 8W, plus upgraded antenna would perform?

I would say that the increase would not be worth the cost. Just too small a wattage increase to make a big difference.

And upgraded antennas can be fine for walking around but may become a nuisance on an MX bike. They can be quite a bit longer.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 05:28 PM

Back when I first got my Baofeng radios the knock was the standard antenna that came with them caused the radio to burn up. Not sure why. It was recommended to upgrade to another antenna that is about 2-3 inches longer, which I did.

They also have a roof top mag mount antenna with the SMA connector. The antenna is about 2 feet long with a mag mount area about the size of a half dollar, kind of a cheap setup. I broke one at the base but was able to glue it back together.

They are real easy to program either by hand or with computer software.

The biggest problem I've had is when other people use them they will push a button on the face and then I usually have to play with it or read the manual to get it working again. There is a feature where you can lock the keys out which is what I do.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:37 PM
VHF/UHF radios

Some more information on the easily tuned VHF/UHF radios, Channel 16 VHF of the marine frequencies (156.8 MHz) is an international distress frequency and other channels are used by the Coast Guard and/or port captains. Best to avoid some of these. The Baofeng radios and most 2 meter radios will transmit on the marine frequencies. Also 144-148 MHz is the 2 meter amateur radio band. Lots of spectrum out there other than the above. As to power levels, hams with General class or above licenses can have power output when transmitting of 1500 watts PEP. Those hams doing aurora scatter or moon bounce do definitely use legal power on 2 meters. 2 meters and 432 MHz are also used for satellite communications with ham equipped satellites functioning as repeaters, one of which is the International Space Station (ISS).
N1IY
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.