Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Cabras THEFT
Larry Young

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 05:39 PM
Punta Cabras THEFT

Hola,

I want to alert people to a theft problem happening out at Punta Cabras. We have been camping there for about 20 years and have traveled all over Baja camping, etc. So, I am bummed to to say the least.

I had a bunch of camping end surfing gear stolen during the night while we were sleeping 9/02/17. I shrugged it off and moved on, could happen anywhere, even home in San Diego, right?

I was back, just surfing, on another trip passing through 9/08. And, more stuff was stolen out of the back of my truck. We're at about $1,200 now and what a massive pain in the middle of a trip!

I brought it up with some Erendira locals and apparently they are having problems there too. My buddies house in Erendira where we were staying had the door kicked in and all of his liquor stolen. I wetn to the Police Station to file a report. They told me that the DJ at a big Punta Cabras rave event had his equipment stolen. They recovered it and said they'd try to do the same for me.

So, I'd stay away from that area. I certainly am.

I'd be very interested in other related stories. Especially if the problem gets cleared up.

Larry

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 06:01 PM

Major bummer Larry.
So sorry for the criminal activity that just ruins everything for locals and tourists.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 06:19 PM

Not a good omen when a first time poster posts about the crime in his favorite area.

Welcome anyway, Larry

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:07 PM

Generally, pacific beach camping outside of campgrounds anywere north of san quintin has been crime problem for a decade or more. People really shouldn't be beach camping in this area, unless you are REALLY far off the roads. Sorry the OP learned the hard way.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:08 PM

Seems I've read similar Cabras stories lately. Theft at night while folks are asleep. Pretty bold thieves, they must drive in.

I have a little yapper dog that sleeps with one very sensitive ear open. Makes a lot of noise at the slightest disturbance. Better than my last best bud, 50 pounds that would sleep through blaring Mexican karaoke.

Mexico is thick with thieves.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:13 PM

Larry, sad to hear and thanks for the alert. It is much appreciated. I wish I could say its a surprise but lots more folks means lots more bad stuff could happen. Everyone stay safe and be vigilant out there.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:18 PM

Yes, same here. We had guys going through the campsite at night, nothing was taken because I locked everything up.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 07:41 AM

There is a band of thieves in Erendria that the local police know very well. A small reward to police will more then likely get things back. Always lock your things up while camping and camp in groups.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 07:54 AM

In some places, the thieves are so bold that they unzip your tent while you are sleeping, and reach for anything they can get.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
In some places, the thieves are so bold that they unzip your tent while you are sleeping, and reach for anything they can get.

That is just creepy and why I camp at the end of a 4WD only road (when I can)! Thieves go for the easy mark and never go off-roading to commit a crime. So, the advice here is to stay in a secure campground or with other campers (power in numbers).

Does Coyote Cal's have a camping area next to their hostel?
I will be going into that area soon and take photos. Last time I camped at Punta Cabras, it was with several other Nomads/ Amigos de Baja, in 2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/cabras/

Update: Coyote Cals does indeed offer camping and I highly recommend the place! www.coyotecals.com

[Edited on 10-20-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 08:59 AM

Yes on camp Coyote even there lock your things . When I camp my dogs are there. They will meet the no goods at night.
Larry Young

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 09:48 AM

Yeah, we typically only camp in very remote areas and went on to an awesome area 30 miles south of Punta Baja. Local fisherman came out and welcomed us. So, I am undeterred, just a little wiser (and jaded). Punta Cabras used to be somewhat that way but a lot more people have moved in and the road is too good now.

I talked to a crusty Gringo in Ensenada who has camped all over including mainland. Of course, dogs help (ours was home with my wife) and he had a great suggestion. Solar powered landscape lights! Or, you can get the motion sensor spots. Also, tie anything you can't lock up with fishing line.

Thanks for the welcome and feedback. I have been lurking on here for years. Time to get involved and contribute!

Mil Gracias for all of the years of information Baja Nomads!

Larry
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Generally, pacific beach camping outside of campgrounds anywere north of san quintin has been crime problem for a decade or more. People really shouldn't be beach camping in this area, unless you are REALLY far off the roads. Sorry the OP learned the hard way.

C'mon, Goat, you don't actually believe this story from supposedly a first time poster, that just happens to come to "Baja Nomad' to warn everybody to stay away from a certain area of Mexico?

This part of the post gives it away, because the Mexico haters, just hate it ex-pats, and others say, " it could anywhere." They go absolutely nuts, when they hear anybody say, " crime, death, it could happen anywhere."

There is one more hint about this post Goat, but I won't mention it, because I don't want to promote certain sites.

One thing I'm certain of, this first time OP, has been around, and he seems to be bothered that some say,' could happen anywhere."

OP wrote: ""I shrugged it off and moved on, could happen anywhere, even home in San Diego, right?"

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 09:54 AM

and it was going so well.....:rolleyes:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 09:57 AM

Motion sensor lights:light:

My buddy woke up one night to find a thief in his tent going through things, brazen to say the least. This was down the coast a bit in the Quatras Casas area. I think they figure gringos get drunk and sleep so soundly they can get away with it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 10:07 AM

This is exactly why I got spooked and decided not to stay in Santa Inez at Catavina when I pulled in and nobody else was there. Even with my alert dog and the fact the camper locks from the inside.

Damn!

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Boulder bob222
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

C'mon, Goat, you don't actually believe this story from supposedly a first time poster, that just happens to come to "Baja Nomad' to warn everybody to stay away from a certain area of Mexico?

This part of the post gives it away, because the Mexico haters, just hate it ex-pats, and others say, " it could anywhere." They go absolutely nuts, when they hear anybody say, " crime, death, it could happen anywhere."

There is one more hint about this post Goat, but I won't mention it, because I don't want to promote certain sites.

One thing I'm certain of, this first time OP, has been around, and he seems to be bothered that some say,' could happen anywhere."

OP wrote: ""I shrugged it off and moved on, could happen anywhere, even home in San Diego, right?"

Tell us about your camping experiences in Baja Sr. Joto.:lol:
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 11:15 AM

I usually don't answer newbies with less than 100 posts, especially when they troll.

But Boulder bob222, is a perfect example of a second handle troll. Over 1/2 his posts are involved in bashing other, long time members of "Baja Nomad" and he seems to know, or think he knows the history of members of this site, although he is supposedly a newbie, and things he talked about happened years before. So unless, he pulled up old posts years old, he is a second handle.

My camping expensive is limited to when my kids were young, and now they are all young adults, and I don't go camping. I have other better hobbies.

But if I could criticize one thing about Baja, it's camping, and loud noise which is mostly loud music. It's the same thing as sleeping in a hotel under a bar, in some camp grounds in Baja.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 08:18 PM

I am sorry you got your stuff stolen! No matter what the circumstances, it is awful.

:fire:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Larry Young  
Hola,

I want to alert people to a theft problem happening out at Punta Cabras. We have been camping there for about 20 years...

I had a bunch of camping end surfing gear stolen during the night while we were sleeping 9/02/17....

... on another trip passing through 9/08...

Larry

There's something wrong here: the OP gets robbed and then after SIX days he returns to the same area and gets robbed again?... what is he trying to prove? Come on... be REAL... what is your intention with this troll... if you go back you're looking for it...!!!

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.