Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: gas stations
Pelican

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 02:59 PM
gas stations

I am driving from San Felipe to Cabo San Lucas for the first time. Driving an FJ Cruiser. Great vehicle but terrible gas mileage. Are there stretches of road where it would be wise to carry some spare gas cans?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 03:11 PM

My two door Kia Sportage gets better mileage than your TJ, but suffers from tiny tank syndrome! I always carry extra fuel for spontaneous exploration on route, but have never needed it on the main roads.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 03:19 PM

I have a Tacoma, so same mileage if not worse with the 4.0 V-6 and automatic trans.

In my trip reports, I have detailed every gas stop. TRIP #6 is via Mexicali/San Felipe to/from Cabo. All gas stations are less than 300 miles apart... more are under 200.

Top off in San Felipe, in Vizcaino, in Loreto, in La Paz.
There are many more choices. Vizcaino is on the edge of your range so you could top at Jesus Maria or the Eagle Monument near Guerrero Negro (the station is on the left where the highway splits to go around the eagle).

Only need an extra can if you do a lot of off highway exploring, like the Seven Sisters Pacific Coast or the San Evaristo route to/from La Paz. Dirt road driving, even in 2WD, eats up the gasoline faster. I made it from Ciudad Constitucion via Mission San Luis Gonzaga, La Pasion, and Los Dolores, then to San Evaristo to La Paz on one tank, but on E when I got to the station.

That was just 216 miles but used 19 gallons of our 21-gallon tank. So, with mostly dirt roads, and rarely used 4WD, I only got 11.4 mpg. If all highway, I get 17-19 mpg usually.

[Edited on 9-21-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 03:25 PM

Also gas at Rancho Grande (Gonzaga Bay) So San Felipe to Jesus Maria is not really a big stretch.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 03:31 PM

It never hurts to have a 5 gal. jerry can packed regardless of mileage. Never know when you or someone else might need it. Better to have and not need than.... you know. Plus, you can always dump it in at any time if you need the space or whatever. Also, if you do decide to pack one, DON'T fill it stateside NOB; do it in Mexico once you've crossed.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 03:46 PM

never get a 5 gal gas can..
they are way too heavy

2 to 3 gallons MAX

and gas is everywhere...
as long as you have pesos in your pocket
gas if available...there is a siphon tube in every car

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 04:15 PM

In deference to the size of your gas bottles, in my truck I always had TWO 5-gallon bottles and a 2 & 1/2 gal. for good measure. Never knew when a spur-of-the-moment off-road adventure might rise up, and also used them for gas storage for my outboard motor; the smaller of the three i'd take in my runabout out with me just in case I got 'forgetful'. A smaller bottle, fine. Cada loco con su tema.

86 - 45*

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 04:26 PM

and Mexican gas really stinks...

I don't even get 5 gal water bottles any more...
2 and a half are heavy enough

make a plan and you'll never run out...
no need to carry extra cans

my little car takes 1/2 tank mulege to jesus villa maria
1/2 tank to el Rosario
1/2 tank to the border

my advice...get rid of those gas hogs

our website is:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pelican  
I am driving from San Felipe to Cabo San Lucas for the first time. Driving an FJ Cruiser. Great vehicle but terrible gas mileage. Are there stretches of road where it would be wise to carry some spare gas cans?

The red arrows are Pemex Gas Stations between Mexicali and La Paz along Hwy. 5 & Hwy. 1. I include the two stations at Bahia de los Angeles with an arrow in case you take the 40-mile side trip (you should)! La Paz to Cabo has too many to add arrows. DO NOT WORRY... always top your tank once you are down a half tank when you come to a station if you are concerned. There was a time when it was recommended... many years ago.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 04:37 PM

Yes. Lots. However, driving in a 'small car' ain't some of them. Do what you think is best for YOU.

Oh, and DK.... do you carry extra gas at all?

[Edited on 9-21-2017 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Yes. Lots. However, driving in a 'small car' ain't some of them. Do what you think is best for YOU.

Oh, and DK.... do you carry extra gas at all?

[Edited on 9-21-2017 by bajabuddha]

Only if I know I will be in a dry region doing a lot of driving (as I mentioned, the Seven Sisters region). I have other times, such as my La Purisima/ Comondu trip or the Pole Line Road run... but as in most cases, it is just insurance. I can go 300 miles usually, but at least 210 if four wheeling and off roading a lot.

The OP was just asking about the highway run to Cabo from Mexicali, and even in a thirsty V-6 Toyota, it should not require any gas cans. Obviously, if he has a can rack, bring an empty and fill it in Mexico (full gas cans not allowed south across the border).

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 04:53 PM

Thank you DK. Key word in your post, '' INSURANCE'' . I rest my case. :light:

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 05:08 PM

Thank you DK. Key word in your post, '' INSURANCE'' . I rest my case. :light:

Exactly. One benefit to having a Tacoma over an FJ is that my gas can if I bring one, is outside, not inside... So, I hope they don't bring a gas can and need to smell that while driving and never really need to have it along.

This latest trip I did to Cabo and back... I had no extra gas can. It was my longest mileage single trip, too... 2,946 miles!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-21-2017 at 05:26 PM
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 05:58 PM

It never hurts to have a 5 gal. jerry can packed regardless of mileage. Never know when you or someone else might need it. Better to have and not need than.... you know. Plus, you can always dump it in at any time if you need the space or whatever. Also, if you do decide to pack one, DON'T fill it stateside NOB; do it in Mexico once you've crossed.

Are you saying throw the can away? if you need space or whatever.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 06:04 PM

the world has changed since 1970

no need for an extra gas can driving down baja
don't waste your time

our website is:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 06:33 PM

No.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 07:01 PM

im gonna go with "can't hurt" ;)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2017 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
im gonna go with "can't hurt" ;)

careful where you toss the match

never liked carrying gas but do it regularly for a short distance to fill up my boat.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 06:40 AM

I have a f150 with the 2.7 liter engine and a 23 gallon tank, has a range of almost 500 miles on the highway. And yet, I still like to carry a small one galloon can of extra gas. Overkill? Yes, but I can think of several situations where it would be nice to have another 20 miles of range when that needle is on MT.

Random but related fact: a soft bar of soap can be used to temporarily patch a punctured gas tank.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 07:43 AM

Gas cans
I have a bunch of them for all sorts of uses. They are all NATO sourced. Some were bought in the states in new condition and came with a filler spout. Others came off Ebay. The used ones smelled until I replaced the seal. The used ones do not fit the spout which is a real bummer for pouring. I use a small 12v pump for those cans. Carry inside, yes - only in a pinch. No odor detected. Stored in the garage full and I have never had any odor.
NATO cans are 5 gallons and are pretty heavy metal. New ones are red. Used ones are military olive drab
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.