Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Seeking northbound guidance through Mexicali
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2017 at 05:12 PM
Seeking northbound guidance through Mexicali

I've seen several videos, maps and directions for the SY border crossing. I'm headed back north from La Paz in a couple weeks and plan to try the MX5 route. I'm excited to see how San Felipe has changed in the last 30 years but readily admit I'm a little apprehensive about finding my way to the correct border crossing at Mexicali. (I've heard S/B recommendations that seem to imply here is now more than one crossing)?

Anyway I haven't been to the northeast corner of Baja since my dirt bike and sandrail days nearly 30 years ago and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

In Memory of E-57
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2017 at 06:23 PM

I personally like the east crossing.

Take a right on Venustiano Carranza off the 5. Take that north all the way to Calzada Cetys, where you take a right. Take Cetys to Calzada Alberto Rodriguez, where you hang a left... That takes you up towards the border, where you make a right into the crossing lanes. Sentri is on the west side of the regular lanes.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2017 at 06:23 PM
gps?

can you use a gps file? Or Google Earth file?

What gps, if so?

I've got directions to the Mexicali East border crossing. Once across it is something like 5 miles west to get to Calexico and Highway 111. I will keep looking and post it here.

I'm not certain of the street names, it may be the same as that posted by the first reply

John M

Attachment: Mexicali East crossing - northbound route.kml (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 223 times

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by John M]
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2017 at 06:41 PM

We put holtville in as a destination in map and it directs you to the east crossing.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2017 at 06:46 PM

I downloaded the Here WeGo app and Mexico map.
It works offline and uses your phone's GPS location.
Sure saves some wandering around construction zones, bad signage, festivals.

It took me a year to notice that it wasn't just a map showing my location, but could also be a turn-by-turn guide with or without audio. (I'm dumb to smart phones).
It re-computes a new route every time you make a wrong turn too.

Good map of Mexicali on the Mexico download.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 12:25 AM

Alan, the street you turn right on is 2 miles north of the Libramiento de Mexicali highway bridge (toll road to Tecate 2-D) that Hwy. 5 goes under, at Km. 8.
The route to Mexicali East is just north of the Km. 5 post and there is a Pemex station on the far side of the street you turn right on. It may be signed "garita" (border crossing).

John M shared his GPS track with me, as he offered to you. I always use the downtown border when I crossed at Mexicali except for a couple times, many years ago. Back then, I just drove straight north to the border fence, as if using the downtown (west) border, well one block before, to go east, as these are one-way streets. I didn't know the 'shortcut' or was comfortable with it, if it even existed back in 2003?

EDIT: Adding John M's Google Earth track:

OVERALL HIGH VIEW:

Now, three close-up views from south to north. Note the Kilometer 6 location. The street you turn on in ~0.8 mile north of Km. 6 (I did not see a Km. 5 marker, but if you do, then it is pretty close to 0.2 mile north of it, or about 1000 feet).

[Edited on 9-23-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 12:53 AM

Just went through Mexicali East in May.

The only tricky thing is when you turn right to the border (last turn) you want to be in the left side to go through the Ready lane (2 lanes on the turn). It goes 3x faster. It's not super obvious and you have to pay attention. Once you turn the corner if you are in the wrong lane you are screwed.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 01:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

The only tricky thing is when you turn right to the border (last turn) you want to be in the left side to go through the Ready lane (2 lanes on the turn). It goes 3x faster. It's not super obvious and you have to pay attention. Once you turn the corner if you are in the wrong lane you are screwed.

Great point! Left lane if you have the chip embedded passport book or equivalent.:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 05:41 AM

After all these years on Nomad you folks have never let me down. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Of course now I also feel like an idiot! Google Maps, I swear by it in the states and even use it here in La Paz. It works awesome with my AT&T plan even here in Baja. Never even occurred to me to use it for directions to the border. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees :big grin: I must be getting brain dead.

Great tip about using Holtville. Thank you all. You put my mind at ease.

In Memory of E-57
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 05:48 AM

One more thing. My wife and I both have the passport cards. The last time I walked across the border, my son and I stood in line patiently for about an hour but as I approached the window I saw a sign that showed my card was valid for the Ready line. Since my son only had his standard passport the point was moot but for this trip since we both have the cards I assume they qualify us for the Ready vehicle lanes?

In Memory of E-57
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 08:15 AM

The newest passports books (gee, close to 10 years now, I think) have a tiny camera pictured on the cover... that means it has the chip, just like the card.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Great point! Left lane if you have the chip embedded passport book or equivalent.:light:

Have you actually tried it?????
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 09:05 AM

The newest passports books (gee, close to 10 years now, I think) have a tiny camera pictured on the cover... that means it has the chip, just like the card.

If you are suggesting that they work in the ready lanes in Mexicali I suggest you check first before giving out that info. I have repeatedly asked the question at the Border and they say NO! This was as of 3 months ago (last time).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 10:00 AM

As I said earlier, the last time I used Mexicali East was probably in 2003. The camera symbol means the chip is in there and a book is more $$ than a card, so not sure why it wouldn't work. I have both the card and book, but only use the book in Mexico as it gets stamped proving I got the tourist permit. Although the ink is so light, it is nearly impossible to read, lol.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

If you are suggesting that they work in the ready lanes in Mexicali I suggest you check first before giving out that info. I have repeatedly asked the question at the Border and they say NO! This was as of 3 months ago (last time).

Did you pass into the ready lane with your book/card out, flashed it at the scanner, and when face to face with the officer, asked him/her if it's valid to use?..And then they told you no, and they let you pass without further ado?

No admonishment to never do that again at this crossing?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Did you pass into the ready lane with your book/card out, flashed it at the scanner, and when face to face with the officer, asked him/her if it's valid to use?..And then they told you no, and they let you pass without further ado?

No admonishment to never do that again at this crossing?

Yes. first time. The scanner would not read the book. severely chastised.

since then, I have periodically asked. They said no and recommended I get SENTRI. Which I did this last month.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 10:55 AM

As I said earlier, the last time I used Mexicali East was probably in 2003. The camera symbol means the chip is in there and a book is more $$ than a card, so not sure why it wouldn't work. I have both the card and book, but only use the book in Mexico as it gets stamped proving I got the tourist permit. Although the ink is so light, it is nearly impossible to read, lol.

If you really did not know, and have not been there since 2003, why would you recommend it?

From the CBP web site which supports the answer they gave me.

"To use the Ready Lanes you will need a WHTI-compliant, RFID-enabled cards approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

These include: the U.S. Passport Card; the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); the Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC); Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry and FAST cards); the new Enhanced Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or new Border Crossing Card (BCC). "
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 03:01 PM

If you really did not know, and have not been there since 2003, why would you recommend it?

From the CBP web site which supports the answer they gave me.

"To use the Ready Lanes you will need a WHTI-compliant, RFID-enabled cards approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

These include: the U.S. Passport Card; the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); the Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC); Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry and FAST cards); the new Enhanced Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or new Border Crossing Card (BCC). "

I only personally recommend Tecate to come north... I was providing John M's route to help the OP who was asking about how to get to Mexicali East.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 05:55 PM

HMMMM....do not do this if you have a passport BOOK. I tried it and got read the riot act and sent to secondary. Passport CARD works. Maybe they will change their readers one of these days...but then what would be the point of the ready lanes?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 05:58 PM

Also be carefull what you wish for. Currently normal lanes 80 minutes wait.....Ready lanes 90 minute wait ... (sentri 0 minute wait).

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2503
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.