Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Engine Burritos
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 07:00 PM
Engine Burritos

Not a lot of restaurants are open at the time of morning when we want to hit the road in Baja. Quite some time ago we took a page out of old dads playbook, engine burritos. Roxanne buys a big bag of small burritos wraps them in foil and they go on top of the old 7.3 powerstroke. About the time you are starving they should be hot. Make sure to count them on and off, if one of them slides down somewhere they will stink for weeks.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 07:03 PM

the car-b-que.....S.O.P.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 07:05 PM

60 mph for 45 minutes
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 10:38 AM

This was an actual article ..in the 60's in a Popular Mechanic's issue..actually had estimated drive times, depending on what you were cooking...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 11:42 AM

In the 70's, I had a product called "hot dogger". It was a small metal oven that clipped on to the exhaust of my snowmobile. It worked pretty well, but the novelty wore off and we went back to packing sandwiches again!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 12:27 PM

I used to put a can of Soup on my dash and had a nice hot soup with my lunch.:yes::yes:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 04:32 PM

i knew a guy back in the late 70's that loved pulling practical jokes on his pals. Some were out of line... so I put an open can of sardines on his engine block....

Cured him of the habit. :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 10-27-2017 at 07:12 AM

RoadPro 12-volt portable stove. Amazon. $35. Much better than stinky diesel burrito. RoadPro also has other cool stuff. Great little 12-volt slow cooker. And check out Youtube for trucker recipes using these little cookers. Some very cool ideas. The stove actually browns and cooks.
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2017 at 07:33 AM

We actually have a little 12v oven that works quite well, not sure of the brand. This method just does not have the roadside ambience and presentation of digging a foil wrapped burrito out from under your turbo while burning your hand. Sometimes you just gotta use a little showmanship to convince your newbie friends that they’re on a real “Baja adventure “
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2017 at 10:36 AM

Brilliant!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-27-2017 at 01:22 PM

Goat would be proud of us for such a "green" method of cooking. No extra carbon footprint to do it !!

This is a much better method than taping a burrito to the forks of your road bike. :biggrin:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2017 at 07:25 AM

We used to do this back when i was still learning how to swing a hammer. Put the burritos in there and drive to work, leave them to stay warm and they’d be delish around break time.

ch47pilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 04:20 PM

Just found this posting, reminded me of heating MRE's on the CH47 (chinook) transmission.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 08:09 PM

every Alaskan sno-machiner knows about the "hot dogger". an aluminum box clamped to the exhausts expansion chamber.. dogs or burritos excellent warm chow on the trail.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-27-2021 at 08:55 PM

Road food:

Bahn mi sandwiches make great road food (buy the morning you leave San Diego, the shops open very early AM; get veggies on the side in a baggie).

PBJ.

Fruit and cheeses

Nuts.

Pickled herring, sour cream, onions, dill and a good bread or crackers.

Smoked salmon.

Kipper, sliced red or sweet onions, saltines (or Mayo and toast, if you got it)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.