Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Toyota salesman and the "Bandidos"
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

lol.gif posted on 9-24-2017 at 08:58 PM
The Toyota salesman and the "Bandidos"

On my way home from dropping off my Jeep for repairs, my wife and I stopped at the Toyota dealership to look at a slightly used 4 door Rubicon for sale. Immediately, I was asked if I planned on "Off Roading" the "car" and I told him "yes". So, he asked me, "Where do you plan on taking it?". I told him, "The desert, Baja, the mountains..". He sounded concerned when I mentioned Baja. I told him that I have been going to Baja, "For years". He said, "Have you ever been held up by Bandidos?" I told him that it never happened to me. He said that he was on a desolate highway with nobody around. Then a van pulled up beside him and his friend. The other vehicle passenger pulled out a handgun and demanded that their vehicle be pulled over. The guys only had $16 and gave it to the Bandidos and they "drove off.". I told him that with the police presence there now, it would never happen.

He probably thought that I would go into some fear mongering, but I shook my head and pointed at my "Baja Grande 2007" t-shirt and I told him, "I set up events in Baja. So, I go all the time!! ". I told him that my friend bought his Rubicon brand new for $33K. The Toyota man was asking $42K for a used 2017. He asked me if I was interested in any of the Tacoma's on the lot, and while they looked big and spacious, they aren't my style, and with my fridge and camping gear, I'd like to keep my stuff out of the weather.

End of story, folks..

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 09:14 PM

End of story indeed.
So, somebody traded a Rubicon for a Toyota?
You should have told that salesman if Baja is dangerous why does Toyota build their Tacomas there? Oh, and test and race them there... oh, and how did Ivan Stewart develop the TRD without years of Baja racing... oh, and he lives there part time too... With a final, "Since Baja is dangerous, I guess I don't need to buy a Toyota"!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 09:15 PM

Thanks for the warning! I will beware of banditos hang around Toyota dealerships.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thanks for the warning! I will beware of banditos hang around Toyota dealerships.

How about a $10k markup on a used Jeep?!?

@DavidK, What good is a Baja TRD if it's not tested in the silt beds? Those trucks had Baja all over them from the 'Baja Champions' BFG tires to the BAJA themed body cladding, everyone tells me how dangerous Baja actually is, until I tell them about my trips further south into Colombia and that only confused them more.

On a separate note, if the Toyotas were sold with the straight axles and winches and snorkles standard, I would have definitely taken a second look!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 07:17 AM

They are, just not in America... Those models are called Hilux!

Somehow I can't picture you driving in water deep enough to need a snorkel... Winches are for vehicles that get stuck, so not on a Tacoma (lol)! As for solid front axles... well, I understand but have yet to go anywhere IFS was a problem, and how nice I can drive at 70+ mph makes up for any minor issue IFS may ever have.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 08:47 AM

The salesman may have been robbed on hwy 5 along the Laguna Salada area. Back in the early 90s there were a bunch of robberies along that section just as the salesman described. The cops finally caught the guys.

They were all late at night, after midnight.

[Edited on 9-25-2017 by TMW]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 07:27 PM

The $42k stock 2017 Rubicon is still on the lot - marked up $12k over value.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 08:31 AM

Ken,
Use the Internet and get a one or two year old one that has all the necessary off road stuff for less cost than a new one. It will make you happy to get stuff you want/need for bargain price. Lots to choose from, but travel is required to pick the best choice.
I had to go over 400 miles to get mine with 10K of aftermarket stuff.
Your experience will be different.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.