Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need suggestions other than PayPal for accepting payment
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 09:15 AM
Need suggestions other than PayPal for accepting payment

I am fed up with Paypals hidden costs of accepting payments here in Mexico from other countries. They charge the normal transaction fee, then an international fee, then crappy exchange rate, then more to deposit into your bank account!

So does anyone have a better option for us. Problem is lots of our guests dont carry cash and so they want to pay for everything online and often want me to give them cash to get by.

In this era of technology there must be a better way than PayPal to get paid....ideas please!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
.... Problem is lots of our guests dont carry cash and so they want to pay for everything online and often want me to give them cash to get by.

If people think you are a bank....just say "NO!"....there is a limit to an innkeeper's generousity/service. I know that some of your guests have arrived with no money, get a room "on credit", and don't pay until they (maybe) drive through the following year.

While I appreciate your willingness to accommodate, these folks are taking an unfair advantage of you.....what other places would front money ???

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 09:30 AM

Looks like there are alternatives to PayPal

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=alternatives+to+paypal&am...

or raise your prices just enough to cover the Paypal overhead and perhaps give a discount for cash.

[Edited on 9-25-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 09:31 AM

Hi Shari, it sounds like you need to adjust your prices up so it covers the expenses added on by PayPal or whomever you deal with. It's not your fault it costs money to run a business and it's not money that you get to keep... the same as taxes, a cost on business built in or added on to the bill.
Maybe you can have a disclaimer for PayPal usage, (ie. "add 7% for PayPal"). When you have another method to get paid (like a U.S. or Canadian bank account) for direct deposit that doesn't cost extra, then the client has that option.
I am sure you will get a lot more advice on this!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 10:03 AM

I am fed up with Paypals hidden costs of accepting payments here in Mexico from other countries. They charge the normal transaction fee, then an international fee, then crappy exchange rate, then more to deposit into your bank account!

So does anyone have a better option for us. Problem is lots of our guests dont carry cash and so they want to pay for everything online and often want me to give them cash to get by.

In this era of technology there must be a better way than PayPal to get paid....ideas please!!!

You can start taking Visa or Mastercard...but I think you are going to find that all financial institutions find a way of charging you for their services.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 10:05 AM

I would also ask on a page that has Mexican business owners..probably better response there.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 10:42 AM

I got a credit card machine but unfortunately the crappy internet here wont run it....it times out and just wont work unfortunately.
What about Google Wallet..anybody use it?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 10:43 AM

Shari, I was checking out of a hotel in Mexico where I have always paid with my credit card. They asked me if I would use PayPal and offered a $300 (US) discount!
I was happy to do it but curious about why?
Figured it had to do with exchange rate or taxes or keeping the funds out of Mexico.
BTW it was up in San Miguel denAllende.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 11:21 AM

you gotta be creative (always remember Darwin) - I have paypal accounts in a couple of different countries. Transfer and processing fees vary. It is not rocket science to find an inexpensive way for your needs. Have clients pay with minimal fees to an account in the US. Transfer money to your MEX account when you reach a few thousands.

Harald Pietschmann
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 11:27 AM

I think FB or Whatapp has a feature to send money. Fee structure may be similar to PP tho.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 11:28 AM

hola shari,

would there happen to be a western union in your area or close proximity to you ?

would it be possible to have your client send monies to you via western union ?

would there be enough businesses or people to use western union to establish an office if there is currently not one ? i'm not sure if it requires phones or internet.

just a thought as that's how i send money to my mexican family in santiago, baja sur, and the office is close by in miraflores, about 20 miles southerly.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
.... Problem is lots of our guests dont carry cash and so they want to pay for everything online and often want me to give them cash to get by.

If people think you are a bank....just say "NO!"....there is a limit to an innkeeper's generousity/service. I know that some of your guests have arrived with no money, get a room "on credit", and don't pay until they (maybe) drive through the following year.

While I appreciate your willingness to accommodate, these folks are taking an unfair advantage of you.....what other places would front money ???

I agree with GED here, it is not unreasonable to make clear to your guests that you have to cover your extra costs since you are in a semi-remote area where some of the conveniences don't exist. It has never occurred to me to not carry enough cash to pay for my room. If I were in your area and had an emergency I might ask your help obtaining funds but would expect to cover your costs. I suspect any alternative to Paypal would probably have it's own issues. Knowing first hand the extreme hospitality you and Juan provide it pi**es me off that guests would take advantage of you financially.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 01:16 PM

stick with paypal...its the safest way for YOU and your guests

you need to raise your rates if you feel you are not making money

the big hotels in tj and Ensenada are using the dollar rate for the posted rent and floating the peso rate...some daily some average monthy

its the only way they can stay profitable...a fixed rate

exchanging dollars for guests can be done but their rate will be a lot less than at the border or bank...its the way it is

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
stick with paypal...its the safest way for YOU and your guests

you need to raise your rates if you feel you are not making money

the big hotels in tj and Ensenada are using the dollar rate for the posted rent and floating the peso rate...some daily some average monthy

its the only way they can stay profitable...a fixed rate

exchanging dollars for guests can be done but their rate will be a lot less than at the border or bank...its the way it is

I thought posting prices in foreign currency was against the law. In fact have see where some restaurants were shut down for doing it.

Has something changed recently?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 02:00 PM

I have a posted price in the office in pesos...

as long as its in writing

that's a myth anyway...most Mexican tourist carry dollars...

I think its their saving money...its more stable

our website is:
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I have a posted price in the office in pesos...

as long as its in writing

that's a myth anyway...most Mexican tourist carry dollars...

I think its their saving money...its more stable

When we checked into the Old Mill in August the lady at the counter said 20 bucks apiece. My friend said how much in pesos? She said "we really don't use pesos here" lol. We all got a good laugh out of that.
Sorry for the hijack. Good luck shari.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 03:11 PM

please don't assume this is "normal"

pesos are way better than dollars in baja

its unusual to hear this...MOST businesses work in pesos

our website is:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 03:16 PM

You can set up a merchant account and then accept CC w/ direct deposit to your bank. like pay pal, the bank takes its 3 or 4 percent.
Jack your prices 4 percent, then offer 4 percent discount for cash, to incentivize people to deal in cash. Or simply put up a big sign saying "cash only!"
Gringos think cash back CCs and CC frequent flier miles come from the tooth fairy - they are not quite smart enough to realize that the 2% cash back means vendor has raised their prices 4 percent to "give" the customer 2%.
Anywho, cash is great, so offer a discount and people will pay in cash.
And you cash customers, always ask for cash discount price, you deserve it!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You can set up a merchant account and then accept CC w/ direct deposit to your bank. like pay pal, the bank takes its 3 or 4 percent.
Jack your prices 4 percent, then offer 4 percent discount for cash, to incentivize people to deal in cash. Or simply put up a big sign saying "cash only!"
Gringos think cash back CCs and CC frequent flier miles come from the tooth fairy - they are not quite smart enough to realize that the 2% cash back means vendor has raised their prices 4 percent to "give" the customer 2%.
Anywho, cash is great, so offer a discount and people will pay in cash.
And you cash customers, always ask for cash discount price, you deserve it!

Good advice. I personally don't like paypal..just closed our account. I'd much rather pay in pesos. Shari, let your customers know you are going to pass on the surcharge on to them for the convenience. Not a big deal in my mind.

[Edited on 9-25-2017 by Bajaboy]

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 04:06 PM

Worth looking into this up and coming Canadian company that has a billing and payment system that seems to work well for both merchants and customers. I know several businesses that really like it.

http://thecse.com/en/listings/technology/glance-technologies...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.