Printable Version  
Author: Subject: meth-laced-7up-found-in-mexico
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 12:24 PM
meth-laced-7up-found-in-mexico

PLEASE READ & BE EXTREMELY AWARE

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/09/25/meth-laced-7up-foun...

Meth-laced 7Up found in Mexico, prompting U.S. health officials to issue travel warning
Fox News

Facebook
Twitter
Comments
Print
Email

Officials say one person died and several others were sickened by the meth-laced soda.

Officials say one person died and several others were sickened by the meth-laced soda. (iStock)

Mexican officials are reportedly investigating how 7Up soft drinks laced with methamphetamines made their way onto shelves in Baja California, sickening several and killing one.

The health department of Baja California has issued a statement confirming that 7Up products in the Mexicali region — where the contaminated soft drinks had originally been reported — have been pulled from stores as a precaution. The manufacturers have also been notified of the issue, and more than 77,000 individual containers of 7Up have been secured at a Mexican plant belonging to PepsiCo.

TOURISTS TO MEXICO BELIEVE DAUGHTER DIED AFTER BEING DRUGGED AT MEXICAN RESORT

The Attorney General of the State of Baja, California also shared a Facebook post further confirming that at least eight people were sickened by the tainted soda, and at least five had improved and been released as of last week.

U.S. health officials in Arizona, too, have since issued a warning to any travelers to the Mexicali region, advising them to remain “vigilant” and be wary of any possible symptoms.

“It is important to check that the seal for any food and drink consumed is still intact and show no signs of tampering,” Dr. Daniel Brooks, the medical director of Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said in a statement to Banner Health. “If you notice any difference in color, taste or smell, throw it out.”

JOLT COLA TO MAKE A RESURGENCE THIS MONTH

According to Banner Health’s statement, possible symptoms of methamphetamine poisoning include: an “abnormal” taste; burning sensations in the esophagus or abdomen; nausea or vomiting; and irregular heartbeat or difficulty breathing. Anyone who experiences such symptoms should promptly contact poison control, adds Banner Health.

Meanwhile, the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, which manufactures 7Up in the United States, tells AZ Central that American consumers should not be worried of similar contamination.

"None of the 7Up products sold in the U.S. are affected by the issue being reported in Mexico," said spokesman Chris Barnes. "Dr. Pepper Snapple owns and licenses the 7Up brand only in the U.S. and its territories. We do not market, sell or distribute the brand internationally."

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS

News of the meth-laced 7Up comes just a few months after the U.S. State Department warned travelers to Mexico about reports of tainted alcohol at certain Mexican resort destinations. That warning came after a 20-year-old student from Wisconsin was found dead after consuming alcohol on a family trip to Playa Del Carmen earlier in 2017.

A representative for the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group was not immediately available to comment for Fox News.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 04:34 PM

I hear they call it 'Mountain Dew'. :bounce:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 06:12 PM

Science has been settled for long time. Soda ain't good for you, with or without meth. I don't drink sodas no more.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I hear they call it 'Mountain Dew'. :bounce:

Funny ....:lol:

I use Mountain Dew when I run out of meth....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 08:03 PM

It's so nice that you folks find a report documenting one death and others falling sick to be a springboard for your supposed cleverness and hilarity.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-25-2017 at 08:24 PM
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 08:57 PM

I find it hard to believe that an unopened bottle or can had meth in it. How does that happen?

Is that what's being claimed?

[Edited on 9-26-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
It's so nice that you folks find a report documenting one death and others falling sick to be a springboard for your supposed cleverness and hilarity.

Well, some of us don't necessarily believe the report for starters....and if it is true...are you looking for group support or what? How has this alleged situation affected you?

Some times a sense of humour is what it takes to survive the world these days.

Don't believe everything you think....
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I find it hard to believe that an unopened bottle or can had meth in it. How does that happen?

Those drugs are expensive. I find it hard to believe someone would waste their drugs putting them in some random 7up bottles and recapping.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I thought I was the one who called BS on a lot of these articles.

If you been following the local papers in Baja, they have been reporting for a few weeks, of some people randomly have been getting very ill after drinking store bought soda, and it looks like they finally traced it down to a specific soda in the Mexicali region.

However, the report is vague of the sodas were tampered with at the manufactures plant by some rogue employee or were the sodas tampered with down the line by some mentally ill person. We also know the sodas were pulled as a precaution.

The article being "Fox News" of course has to throw in the story about 20 year old Abbey Conner, the young white American girl student, who at least had at least 5 shots of alcohol, and then drank some more, and then ended up in the bottom of the swimming pool with her hapless brother.

"Fox news" in error, then claims U.S. health officials to issue travel warning, and at the same time claimed U.S health officials actually issued a travel warning.

I didn't know states like Arizona, issue their own official heath warning. I though travel warnings are handled by the U.S Department of state.

At the time of the Abby Conner incident, The US State Department, did not issue a travel warning in the state of Quintana Roo, where Playa Del Carmen, is located, regarding tainted or substandard alcohol.

What they did was update their State Department's Country Specific Information( CSI) page, which does not constitute a travel warning.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:48 AM

This is from Mexico ... as it relates to this issue

http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/portal/noticia_completa.jsp...

And smuggling drugs tends to get rather creative IMO
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
This is from Mexico ... as it relates to this issue

http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/portal/noticia_completa.jsp...

And smuggling drugs tends to get rather creative IMO

The article doesn't say anything about drug smuggling. In fact, it doesn't say anything about drugs at all. It doesn't mention methamphetamine.

The Mexican press release that the Fox news article in the original post references is the same article.

[Edited on 9-27-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 11:43 AM

Stand corrected .... was following a link from another source

However this report was dated Sep 18th

"News
MEXICALI, BC- Monday, September 18, 2017.- The Government of the State headed by President Francisco Vega de Lamadrid, through the Secretary of Health of the State, reports that five patients from the Mexicali valley who presented symptoms of poisoning related to the consumption of soft drinks and that were hospitalized in the Clinics of the IMSS, ISSSTE and ISSSTECALI, were already discharged for improvement.

This was explained by the head of the unit, Guillermo Trejo Dozal, who lamented the death of a person, and said that five people are already in their homes, however indicated that one patient was registered more than 30 years , who came at 12:30 pm this Monday to the clinic 5 of the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) in the ejido Nuevo León, which is given medical care and which is reported stable, which adds seven people attended by this situation.

For its part, the Director of Protection against Health Risks, Leopoldo Jiménez Sánchez, said that following the precise instructions of the Governor of the State, and as a precautionary strategy, the entire product of the brand of soda 7 up in establishments in the area was secured and informed to the company on the shelf of the containers in presentation of 2 liters; In addition, all commercial establishments were requested to suspend the sale of the product and the removal of points of sale, so as not to expose the population.

Therefore, the health authorities report that in the PepsiCo plant, 77 thousand 125 pieces of the 7-up soft drink were already secured in their different presentations.

Finally, it is recommended to the population that if they have ingested the product and present symptoms such as nausea, stomach pain or vomiting, they go to their nearest right-of-residence unit."

The date of the report would indicate a prudent approach, as perhaps at that point in time the causative agent was most likely NOT known .... which would have required laboratory analysis using a number of various pieces of equipment and standards to test for the causative agent causing death and illness

This article is dated Sep 27th and clearly states "meth" was in fact detected in the 7UP and where exactly the product came from in Mexicali

Deadly 7Up laced with meth detected in Mexico

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/deadly-7up-lace...

As I can't see why "meth" would be added to 7UP .. My knowledge about drug smuggling just kicked in .... as there in fact have been many, many creative approaches of getting drugs across the "borders" .... and putting a drug into a solution and then extracting HAS been used in the past ... I don't know for a fact that is currently being done. However, this 7UP example may indicate a means of smuggling was attempted and/or accomplished using 7UP and then adding in "meth" as a means to prevent detection of the drug being included with the 7UP ... Further investigation would be required to determine factually if this did occur, in this case and/or others :biggrin::biggrin:

Switch to ___________ for the time being, I always liked Pacifico's :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 9-27-2017 by wessongroup]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 12:00 PM

There are many US publications using the meth story. I read a story in the TJ paper La Frontera written when the story broke and it said a white crystalline substance was found in the bottles. A quick google search revealed that the meth sold on the streets is water soluble. Added meth would have dissolved.

The article also described the symptoms the people felt and they don't indicate a stimulant; intestinal distress, headaches, etc.

I don't know, but the meth story is hard for me to believe.

[Edited on 9-27-2017 by SFandH]

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Stand corrected .... was following a link from another source

As I can't see why "meth" would be added to 7UP .. My knowledge about drug smuggling just kicked in .... as there in fact have been many, many creative approaches of getting drugs across the "borders" .... and putting a drug into a solution and then extracting HAS been used in the past ... I don't know for a fact that is currently being done. However, this 7UP example may indicate a means of smuggling was attempted and/or accomplished using 7UP and then adding in "meth" as a means to prevent detection of the drug being included with the 7UP ... Further investigation would be required to determine factually if this did occur, in this case and/or others :biggrin::biggrin:

Switch to ___________ for the time being, I always liked Pacifico's :biggrin::biggrin:

What knowledge of drug smuggling do you have?

It looks like you have engage in pure conjecture based on your fantasies.

BTW, the 7-UP sodas from Mexicali region, are not being shipped to the US, so there goes your theory of smuggling meth in 7UP bottles out the window.

"Chris Barnes, a spokesperson for Dr Pepper Snapple Group, told Arizona news outlet AZCentral that 7Up products in the US were safe. “None of the 7Up products sold in the US are affected by the issue being reported in Mexico,” Barnes said. “Dr Pepper Snapple owns and licenses the 7Up brand only in the US and its territories. We do not market, sell, or distribute the brand internationally.”

If 7UP bottles from Mexicali were being shipped to the US, those bottles would also be pulled from the shelf as a precaution.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 01:36 PM

Do you want a book ?

I gave the "links"

IF the bottles were shipped to the US ... Finding them would be based on IF the lot in question had "lot numbers" to identify the batch in question ...

Also IF the shipment was in fact being done for the purpose of "moving" meth .... Some how I don't think the "shipment" would have follow the "normal" shipping requirements IMO

Also a spokesman for ________ would NOT be something I'd hang my hat on ... rather factual investigation with "evidence" to rule out any possibly of contaminated product being shipped ANYWHERE ... period

I'll take it the rest of my post was acceptable ... that would be the dates between first report and the second date which is today ... are you saying "meth" was not found through laboratory analysis and someone is lying about the presence of "meth" in 7UP produced in Mexicali .... at the location identified in the news report ... which can be found in the second "link" supplied

Smugging is something that has been going on for a very long time .... and it isn't something restricted to the border between Mexico and the United States ... Or are you stating that is the only smuggling that occurs in the world ? :P:P

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.