Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SENTRI Renewal
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 04:14 PM
SENTRI Renewal

SENTRI cards for wife and I both expire in January, 2018

Went on line to our GOES accounts and opted to apply for Global Entry instead of SENTRI as it is more versatile for traveling (and a little cheaper - $100 each for GE $125 for SENTRI).

Applied on September 13 and settled down for a 90+ day wait.

Wife was approved on September 15, card received on September 22. I received my electronic notification of approval today (September 25).

Gotta love CBP!!! :biggrin::bounce::biggrin::biggrin:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 05:03 PM

Good to know! My SENTRI is up for renewal next year as well so I will definitely apply for Global Entry. Thanks for the tip!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 05:19 PM

Geoff............you can apply for renewal up to a year before your current card expires and they just add the remaining time to your new card. Good luck, hope yours goes just as smooth......Added benefit. If they require an interview for your Global Entry, you can go to the GE office at the San Diego airport

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Good to know! My SENTRI is up for renewal next year as well so I will definitely apply for Global Entry. Thanks for the tip!
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 04:21 AM

I just renewed my Sentri after going through the ombudsman process. Do I need to wait to within a year of expiration to apply for Global? If I apply for Global with current Sentri would they approve without cancelling Sentri? I was ass backwards and thought Sentri was the better choice for travel of air and land. My assumption was based on the price for Sentri being higher.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 07:01 AM

Under Global Entry, do you still register you vehicle.

Attached shows comparison of programs.....somehow SENTRI seems more inclusive than Global Entry (SENTRI includes benefits of Global Entry) but does not indicate what is extra.....

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 07:03 AM

Global is the all around travel card

You can apply for renewal within a year of your expiration date

At our last renewal 5 years ago they (CBP at the interview) asked if we wanted Global Entry, we said yes and he placed a sticker on the back of our passport books. Never sure what that was all about and didn't ask

You might check with the Global Entry office at the San Diego airport

Terminal 2 East
3707 N. Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101 (619) 690-7600 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., Monday - Friday
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

At our last renewal 5 years ago they (CBP at the interview) asked if we wanted Global Entry, we said yes and he placed a sticker on the back of our passport books. Never sure what that was all about and didn't ask

Terminal 2 East
3707 N. Harbor Drive

Did you still register your vehicle?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 08:16 AM

Both vehicles were already registered through SENTRI so no further action was needed.

If your Trusted Traveler documents (Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS) have expired you need to re-register ($42 each) vehicle

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Terminal 2 East
3707 N. Harbor Drive

Did you still register your vehicle?
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 10:47 AM

If you have SENTRI you should already have Global Entry and TSA Pre.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 11:28 AM

I think the question is:
Can you still register a car if you have a Global Entry?
I think the only way is to have a Sentri.
Let me know if I'm wrong

Alan
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 11:47 AM

This website explains the differences:

https://www.easysentri.com/global-entry-vs-sentri-locations-...

The answer, as far as I can tell, is that Global Entry is limited to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents and citizens of 9 other countries (not including Mexico). Sentri is available to anyone. Sentri includes Global Entry benefits, so the Sentri card is good for TSA Pre expedited screening and expedited CBP processing for airport arrivals, as well as the Sentri lane when land crossing into the U.S. That said, from the perspective of U.S. citizens, Global Entry looks preferable -- slightly cheaper, shorter wait for approval. If you have Global Entry instead of Sentri, you still have to register your vehicle with CBP in order to use the Sentri lanes. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
I think the question is:
Let me know if I'm wrong

Alan

IMHO:
Your car is associated with Sentri only, can't register car without Sentri.
If car flies, GOES might work

Es Todo Bueno
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
I think the question is:
Let me know if I'm wrong

Alan

IMHO:
Your car is associated with Sentri only, can't register car without Sentri.
If car flies, GOES might work

Yes, you can and must register a car to use the Sentri lanes if you have Global Entry (in other words, you can't drive an unregistered vehicle through the Sentri lanes, period -- probably a good way to get a pass pulled). See the FAQ link above and go to the question about registering your car for Global Entry. Whether a car already registered with Sentri must be re-registered if you do Global Entry instead of Sentri renewal is a different question and makes my brain hurt.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 01:17 PM

Actually, SENTRI is not valid for entry into the US from Canada. NEXUS is the US/Canada program. Global Entry allows you to use NEXUS lanes

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  

The answer, as far as I can tell, is that Global Entry is limited to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents and citizens of 9 other countries (not including Mexico). Sentri is available to anyone. Sentri includes Global Entry benefits, so the Sentri card is good for TSA Pre expedited screening and expedited CBP processing for airport arrivals, as well as the Sentri lane when land crossing into the U.S. That said, from the perspective of U.S. citizens, Global Entry looks preferable -- slightly cheaper, shorter wait for approval. If you have Global Entry instead of Sentri, you still have to register your vehicle with CBP in order to use the Sentri lanes. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 01:22 PM
Trusted Traveler Vehicle Registration

If you have SENTRI and want to switch to Global Entry before your SENTRI expires, your vehicle is already registered in the Trusted Traveler system, no further action is necessary

If you apply for Global Entry and you are not already in the Trusted Traveler system, yes, you have to register your vehicles ($42 each) when you are filling out the Global Entry application

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 01:31 PM

If you have SENTRI and want to switch to Global Entry before your SENTRI expires, your vehicle is already registered in the Trusted Traveler system, no further action is necessary

If you apply for Global Entry and you are not already in the Trusted Traveler system, yes, you have to register your vehicles ($42 each) when you are filling out the Global Entry application

That would sure negate any dollar savings if its your first time around the block.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 01:45 PM

I have to renew SENTRI this winter. How do you go about enlisting in GOES instead of SENTRI? Is the choice presented to you when you go into online SENTRI account?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 04:29 PM

Actually, yes it is a savings for your first time.

SENTRI is $125 per person plus $42 for each vehicle

Goes is $100 per person plus $42 for each vehicle

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

That would sure negate any dollar savings if its your first time around the block.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 04:33 PM

GOES is your on line CBP account

When you open your account on the first page you are given a choice to renew SENTRI or apply for Global Entry

Your GOES account has all of the information you entered for your SENTRI. If nothing has changed, no worries, just scroll through the pages. If you have any changes, enter them and complete the process

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have to renew SENTRI this winter. How do you go about enlisting in GOES instead of SENTRI? Is the choice presented to you when you go into online SENTRI account?

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 04:37 PM

Actually, SENTRI is not valid for entry into the US from Canada. NEXUS is the US/Canada program. Global Entry allows you to use NEXUS lanes

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  

Interesting you say this as I used my Sentri to enter Canada both ways last fall. Never a word from the Officer. They say Sentri is the same as Global and I have travelled as recently as two weeks ago internationally without problems
Alan
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.