Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dirt bike essentials?
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 07:12 PM

Ha! I "found" one of those waaay out on the western cape past Bahia de Tortugas. Pulled the biggest bunny hop ever on a XR600. Saw front knobs like you say.

Did not want to go back to town that way!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
Ha! I "found" one of those waaay out on the western cape past Bahia de Tortugas. Pulled the biggest bunny hop ever on a XR600. Saw front knobs like you say.

Did not want to go back to town that way!

that would be the dreaded "flying uve doble" :lol:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:26 AM

My two cents my last wr450 07 to 14 48,000 dirt miles baja. ultra hd tubes .Not all are the same msr tubes not ultra even that they say they are. The real ones 4 mil thick. As far as Johns riding slow easy 230f or tt225. I run 4 mil thick tubes on all my 20 off road bikes. On my highly moded 230fs 4mil thick tubes as well at 6psi. With Mt43 tire long lasting great trail tire. For you go fast guys on dirt roads yes on Maxxis tires,but poor tire for slow hard trail. For John wanting a tt225 or crf230f both have very poor susp. With just a revalve rear shock or other shock.The 230f is way to go. Also hundreds of up grades easy to get. Bibs did not work for me great for racing ,but every week riding no go for me.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
My two cents my last wr450 07 to 14 48,000 dirt miles baja. ultra hd tubes .Not all are the same msr tubes not ultra even that they say they are. The real ones 4 mil thick. As far as Johns riding slow easy 230f or tt225. I run 4 mil thick tubes on all my 20 off road bikes. On my highly moded 230fs 4mil thick tubes as well at 6psi. With Mt43 tire long lasting great trail tire. For you go fast guys on dirt roads yes on Maxxis tires,but poor tire for slow hard trail. For John wanting a tt225 or crf230f both have very poor susp. With just a revalve rear shock or other shock.The 230f is way to go. Also hundreds of up grades easy to get. Bibs did not work for me great for racing ,but every week riding no go for me.

What ultra thick 4 mil tubes are you using?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 01:39 PM

Bridgestone Other good ones Moose Ultra and any 4 mil thick tube. I do know MSR not to use as they call it Ultra but it is not.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 10:37 PM

Ehall, sorry for the delay in responding. I am on my second tire with my mousse and it’s holding up well. Factory Honda used to have a specialty grease that they would use when installing the mousse, helped to dissipate the heat and make the foam insert last longer. Michelin has gotten their hands on some and is trying to replicate it because the other options on the market now are no where near as good (that’s all info coming from a top desert racer who used to ride for factory Honda). Until Michelin can make their grease better any of the stuff on the market will work. I’m a huge fan of mousses and will forever ride with them. Everyone has a preference, but if mousses are good enough for the top racers in Baja then they are more than good enough for me.

Yes those Michelin desert race tires are super expensive. I don’t run those for that reason, but that’s the set up the team I pit for runs. Helps to get free tires from sponsorships. Sponsorships aside though, they are the longest lasting tire we have ever used.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 02:47 PM

I need comment on the bibs yes good for top racers. Problem is 99.9 we are not top racers. My bibs lasted 6 months extra work to take apart re grease. After 6 months they shrink then take apart again put cut piece of tube on top bib as filler. Way too much work for me that rides every week. Another dislike for me on Bibs we ride hard trail up hill Ed can tell you about this. If I cant make it I let the air out and make it. Bib no airing down. As I said racers or go fast guy on dirt road great. Not to Argue just my thinking.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 04:39 PM

I need comment on the bibs yes good for top racers. Problem is 99.9 we are not top racers. My bibs lasted 6 months extra work to take apart re grease. After 6 months they shrink then take apart again put cut piece of tube on top bib as filler. Way too much work for me that rides every week. Another dislike for me on Bibs we ride hard trail up hill Ed can tell you about this. If I cant make it I let the air out and make it. Bib no airing down. As I said racers or go fast guy on dirt road great. Not to Argue just my thinking.

I was thinking they would be great if I ever tried to ride the entire peninsula of Baja. One less thing to worry about. Larry you get to ride twice as much as anyone I know. Lucky guy.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 02:12 PM

AHHHH but I hurt twice as much also. On ride to tip lots of pavement riding good place to destroy bib. I would love to put bibs on spare wheels for going over cactus needles. When I had bibs they said don't use rim locks. HIMMMM tire spinning on rim in mud and water. Took apart put two rim locks back in that worked. Bibs have there place but not in my world.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 07:39 AM

I have been running the tubliss system for 5 years in Baja with great success, if you get a flat plug it with a regular tire plug and run 10-12 pounds of air, have also been running the maxxis desert IT. The tubliss part takes 100-110 PSI so you need to carry a high pressure bicycle pump. For more info do a search on "Tubliss".
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 09:07 AM

AHHHH but I hurt twice as much also. On ride to tip lots of pavement riding good place to destroy bib. I would love to put bibs on spare wheels for going over cactus needles. When I had bibs they said don't use rim locks. HIMMMM tire spinning on rim in mud and water. Took apart put two rim locks back in that worked. Bibs have there place but not in my world.

You ride too much to use bibs. If they last 2500 miles that's a full year for me but only a couple weeks for you. LOL I wish I had time to put the miles on. You are right about bibs and pavement, seems they get pretty hot.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 09:11 AM

I seem to remember years ago someone came out with what was called a blue moose tube that was suppose to be better on the hwy, it didn't heat up as much.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 10:23 AM

We helped a rider out at Coco's Corner a few years back. He was pre-running and for about 8 miles rode with a flat. He was probably doing a high rate of speed...... It took us the better part of an hour to scrape the melted mousse off of the rim in order to put a tube in.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 06:32 PM

What happens if you add air to the tire with the mousse still in place?
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 07:54 PM

I've seen 3 tubliss setups fail on bikes that came into M. Usually because of a sheet metal screw or nail that poked a hole in the tubliss unit. So far as I know, such failures are not fixable in the field.

I helped a couple of them get setup with tubes and on they went.

[Edited on 10-5-2017 by MulegeAL]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 09:20 PM

Tubes are simple and inexpensive...works for me.

Don't believe everything you think....
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 09:31 PM

mucho gracias Larry! :yes:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.