Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for recommendations on where NOT to stay in La Paz
songwritersoul

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 07:50 PM
Looking for recommendations on where NOT to stay in La Paz

Hi everyone,

I'm about 5 years out from retirement and doing some scouting for potential future home locations. Currently, La Paz is at the top of my list even though I've never been there. On paper, it seems to be what I want.
Anyway, we're going there in Feb to stay at an Air bnb so we can act like we're living there for a week. We'll rent a car and will be getting groceries etc so we can get a more accurate experience of the town instead of the tourist/resort kind of visit.
Anyway, I know that gang violence has been on the rise in Baja sur and I would like to know of what areas to avoid in La Paz in terms of where we choose our rental house/condo etc. We'd like to be fairly close to the malecon etc so we'll be looking in that area. I just want to get some input on if there are any areas/streets that would be good to avoid when I'm picking our place to stay. I want to get an authentic experience in La Paz, but would rather avoid areas where there's a heavy amount of drug trafficking or gang presence.
Any helpful input you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to check it out because it seems like a great place from my research.

thanks,
Steve
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 08:25 PM

Rent for 1 year to experience all seasons. If you go down in Spring or Fall you will think you've died and gone to heaven but you might hate life in the summer time.

One thing for certain, there is no shortages of houses for sale in Baja and by waiting it will only work to your benefit.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

songwritersoul

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 09:17 PM

Maybe I should clarify my question. I am simply looking for advice on areas or streets I should avoid when picking my air bnb rental for this winter's visit. We are just going for a week and I want to make sure we don't rent an air bnb place that's in a bad area.
Is there anyone who is very familiar with La Paz who can tell me the areas or streets to avoid for renting an air bnb so that we can be close to town, but not in an area where there's a lot of drug/gang activity?
Just need to sell my girlfriend on the idea that expats can live safely there despite the cartel violence and that will be a tough sell if I pick an air bnb that's in an area where there are drug dealers on the street corner etc. I've never been to La Paz and don't know the town so that is why I'm asking for some input on nice areas to stay.

thank you,
Steve
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 09:20 PM

I somehow believe you're not going to have an issue regardless.

If you want to impress your gf... stay near the Malecon. Just sayin'.

:cool:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 04:40 AM

Its not good to leave your car on the street at night. Especially do not leave anything in the car when parked.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by songwritersoul  

Just need to sell my girlfriend on the idea that expats can live safely there despite the cartel violence and that will be a tough sell if I pick an air bnb that's in an area where there are drug dealers on the street corner etc.

Hey Steve? Relax. You might be believing everything you read in the media. If you're close enough to the malecon, you'll be safe enough. You might not recognize any drug dealers hanging out, anyway.

LP is a city and has it's city problems. Your gf might be turned off to the noise and traffic.

If you're concerned about cartel violence, and it reads like it's at the forefront of this post, maybe skip La Paz -- stay in Todos Santos and ''visit'' LP.

Probably won't have a garage with the rental but don't worry about it. Can't tell if you're driving down or not. Get an alarm on your car if driving. If a rental, don't leave anything in the car. Take photos of the rental car to prove it was damaged if broken into.

Seriously, stop reading the media about violence in Baja.

LP is a Mexican town so brush up on your Spanish.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:17 AM

Check Search function for accomodations, restaurants, etc. Some nice B & Bs and owners onsite to guide you! 10 days, minimum, also. Wait till Nov for your visit, too. Let us know how its going or post visit report. Have fun.

[Edited on 9-27-2017 by tiotomasbcs]
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:02 AM

If your ultimate goal is to find an area in which to buy, contact a real estate agent or two. Give them your requirements and let them guide you to areas that that will meet your criteria. You'll get a better idea of prices/locations in your comfort zone.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 02:07 PM

A lot depends on what your needs are. There are great neighborhoods very close to the not so good ones all over and no "superior| neighborhood. We have lived in the area of Colima and abosolo for the past couple years and found it retlativly safe, nice homes around and close to all.

If interested u2u me and I will give you information on our place that will be available for rent and or purchase from my wifes boss as we have bought a home and will be leaving in Oct. Covered carport
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 02:57 PM

I have spent quite a bit of time near La Paz, but not enough time in the city to be of much use to you, except for a couple of tips.

Finding your way around town can be difficult, because so many street signs are missing, or obscured. I use a standard automotive GPS to call out the streets I am on, or intersecting, keeping in mind that the GPS may not tell which ones are one way.

Stop signs are mostly suggestions to locals, but you dare not run one yourself. Right of way frequently goes to the boldest driver, and that isn't me!

If you haven't already, read the thread on this page; Policies (sic) pulling people over.....

I like La Paz, and have met a lot of good people there, but I have never been there in the summer. That would be a must do thing for me if I was considering living there.

One more thing, the mosquitos here in Alaska, and in Northern California where I spend time can be much worse than in La Paz, but the ones down there may carry Dengue fever. Check for standing water around wherever you wind up, and you may want to use repellant.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 03:59 PM

As far as "near Malecon" areas, I'd avoid the northern Estero area.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
songwritersoul

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:24 PM

Thank you so much everyone for the input.
We are planning on syncing up with a real estate agent to take a look at some properties and to get their two cents on the different areas of town and out of town. Because it's 5 years out, I don't want to ask too much of an agent, but maybe just take a look at a few homes in different areas to familiarize us with the city.
We are going to rent a car from San Jose and hit, Los Barriles, La Ventana and El Sergento on our way up to La Paz so we can get a feel for those towns too. Thinking maybe in 5 years, those towns may have a little more to offer in terms of groceries and dining etc.
We'll probably stay the night in Los Barriles our first night and hit the road the next morning.
Thanks again for the info and keep it coming if someone has more to add.

Steve
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 07:42 AM

I have had a condo in the La Posada area (1 mile west of the malecon) for the last 10 yrs. Its close enough to the malecon for convenience but far enough away to escape the noise. I absolutely love this area and have never felt uncomfortable. Like any comparably sized city there are areas I stay clear of but I don't know the names of the neighborhoods. They are typically on the outskirts of town in the more impoverished areas. I think for the most part the areas will become clear to you as you drive around. If you just don't feel comfortable in an area just keep on driving.

I am in the Villas La Posada next door to the Posada Hotel. I do have a couple of neighbors that offer their units on VRBO.com if you are looking for something to use as a base of operations. If no units are available during your scheduled trip I can highly recommend the http://www.bandbhaciendaparaisodelapaz.com which is pretty much across the street.

Additionally, I am not sure how it works nowadays but when I was searching for my property I just got an agent and like the states, thought they would show me all listings. Not so, I later learned if I was interested in a property I needed to contact that listing agency. There really wasn't an MLS back then. Again, no idea how it works nowadays. this was 10years ago but loyalty to your agent wasn't part of the process.

Somewhere in this string someone mentioned perhaps purchasing somewhere with anticipated growth providing services and entertainment. That's definitely possible but it has been my experience that change comes slowly in Baja. My first trip to Los Barilles was over 30years ago. Sure it has changed significantly in all that time. The hotel airstrip has been replaced by a golf course but for things to do after the sun goes down your options remain fairly limited.

Someone else said you have 5 yrs and La Paz has lots available. That's very true but I would consul caution about waiting too long. I purchased right at the peak of the housing boom here but still do not regret that decision for a moment. When the housing market in the US crashed it crashed in Baja as well. Prices today reflect that. It really is a buyers market right now. What will the future hold? They just announced this morning that last quarter's growth in the US was 3.1% The other reason I recommend purchasing sooner than later is that it made my transition to retirement so much easier. I was a firefighter who loved his job for over 30 yrs and it is hard to turn my back on all that. for 30 years it was what I was. Just having my place down here that I could now spend much more time at made my transition so much easier.

In Memory of E-57
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I have had a condo in the La Posada area (1 mile west of the malecon) for the last 10 yrs. Its close enough to the malecon for convenience but far enough away to escape the noise. I absolutely love this area and have never felt uncomfortable. Like any comparably sized city there are areas I stay clear of but I don't know the names of the neighborhoods. They are typically on the outskirts of town in the more impoverished areas. I think for the most part the areas will become clear to you as you drive around. If you just don't feel comfortable in an area just keep on driving..

Great review Alan thanks for posting this.

Check out Villas:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2237356

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 11:30 AM

Thank you Lee for posting the link. Her unit is next to mine and I can attest it is beautifully maintained and well stocked to meet most everyone's needs.

In Memory of E-57
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by songwritersoul  
Maybe I should clarify my question. I am simply looking for advice on areas or streets I should avoid when picking my air bnb rental for this winter's visit. We are just going for a week and I want to make sure we don't rent an air bnb place that's in a bad area.
Is there anyone who is very familiar with La Paz who can tell me the areas or streets to avoid for renting an air bnb so that we can be close to town, but not in an area where there's a lot of drug/gang activity?
Just need to sell my girlfriend on the idea that expats can live safely there despite the cartel violence and that will be a tough sell if I pick an air bnb that's in an area where there are drug dealers on the street corner etc. I've never been to La Paz and don't know the town so that is why I'm asking for some input on nice areas to stay.

thank you,
Steve
Reviewing your posts it seems you have gotten a very unrealistic vision of what you are likely going to see upon arrival. I would describe the city as an upper middle-class family oriented town. In 10 years I can honestly say to my knowledge I have never even seen a cartel member though I admit I have no idea what they might look like nor have I ever seen a gang member and those are typically easier for me to spot. La Paz is a beautiful city that people have great pride in for good reasons. It offers every amenity imaginable. The outdoor and water sport choices are endless, restaurants abound for every taste and offer international fare. For those seeking culture there are concerts, art shows and the theatre. The malecon is the central focus and well before the sun even peeks over the horizon people are out jogging, cycling and every evening entire families are out walking along it to just enjoy the cooler evening temperatures or to participant in the whole myriad of events scheduled throughout the year.

In spite of its actual size, to me La Paz has a small town feel to it where the people are friendly, open and gracious. It doesn't take long to develop true friendships and though I have only been here part-time I am constantly amazed that I run into friends nearly every time I leave the house.

In Memory of E-57
songwritersoul

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 07:02 PM

Thanks for the thorough review Alan.
I may take you up on that contact when we decide to plan our trip date etc. Lot's of good info there.

I don't think I have an unrealistic view of La Paz in general though.
I know that most cities, wherever they are, have some parts that are better than others in terms of amount of crime and or drug activity. I was just fishing to see if anyone felt there were any areas of the town that they would not want to stay in for those reasons. I have been following the local news in La Paz for some time now and know that there have been a lot of gang-related murders and it has been increasing over the past years, but I also am aware that they are mainly killing other gang members and not the general public...like Chicago for example. High murder rate, but mostly gang related. Just trying to plan a good trip and gather as much useful info as I can so we have a good and safe visit.
If I were going to rent an air bnb in LA, I would certainly want someone to tell me not to rent one in east LA or in the bad areas in Hollywood etc. I had an experience like that once at a hotel in Hollywood before the internet. Bad part of town and a murder in the park across from the hotel when we were checking in. Would be great to avoid that kind of thing. :)
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting to know the town, doing some snorkeling, some real estate hunting and eating lots of enchiladas. :)

thank you,
Steve
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 07:47 AM

No worries. I would recommend anywhere around the malecon or as I posted above the La Posada area as it is away from the noise but convenient to everything

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.