Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Etec?
Santiago
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 05:49 AM
Etec?

We all go thru life's changes and for me, the onset of abuelo-hood has pushed me over a line I thought I would never cross......pontoon boat ownership. SWMBO says soon I'll start wearing Depends and voting republican.......not that there is anything wrong with that.

It's a 2004 Sun Tracker 17', center console with a 25HP Merc 4 stroke big foot that was original with the boat. It runs fine, just way underpowered - maybe 12 MPH with 2 adults and his nibs.
So, I'm about to order a used, 2005 50HP Etec and get jiggy with it.
I have long ago left 2 strokes but am intrigued with the Etecs - let me know your experiences. I am concerned about trolling and the traditional loading up the 2-stokes are known for; do the Etecs have this issue?

Gracias

[Edited on 9-27-2017 by Santiago]
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:04 AM

I have a 90 Etec on my 17' CC. ZERO smoke, will idle all day without issue. Do routine maintenance and you're good to go. I have been running this engine for 5 years now - I changed out the spark plugs, water pump impeller & lower unit lube at the recommended 300 hour service last year.

The engines are at least as fuel efficient as a 4 stroke and manage to put out less emissions.

[Edited on 9-27-2017 by 55steve]

Go To Top

For high speed satellite internet in Baja call +1.6197170810 - or click here to email sistemassatelitales@hotmail.com

Tijuana Walking Tours - on Meetup.com

All Content Copyright © 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.