Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Policies pulling people over in Maneadero
Patrick21

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:10 AM
Policies pulling people over in Maneadero

Two weeks ago I got pulled over in Maneadero on the way to Camalu. I was told by a young officer that I hadn't stopped at one of the many stop signs. I told him in Spanish that I did stop. We went back and forth he told me it was a 3000 peso fine. I told him I wanted to go to the station. He took my license and registration and I followed him. After 5 minutes he pulled over and gave me my documents back and said I was free to go. I didn't t have to give him anything. I was on my way down again last Thursday and in Maneadero I saw the same cop pull California plates over and was talking to the driver. Possibly the same shake down. . Be careful when going through Maneadero!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

I carry an expired license and registration with me. No way am I going to give anybody my current ID.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:24 AM

Policy????

Here we go again.....just drive legally folks....

Questions?

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:28 AM

The OP said he did stop but was pulled over anyway. It happens in Mexico.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Thanks for the heads up.

I carry an expired license and registration with me. No way am I going to give anybody my current ID.

I do the same, and entirely agree with SF&H here.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:08 AM

the op did correct thing go to police station. tourist in police station they don't like that. complaint to tourist protection hated by policeman. common to give lic back after 1 block call it quits.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:20 AM
Excrement Occurs ..................

................AND, no doubt, now and then traffic violation extortion happens.

BUT, it would be incredibly Naive to accept at face-value the circumstances as related by the (supposed) victims so often posted.

In 50 years of extensive travel on both sides of upper Baja and a number of stops, I can remember only ONE extortion stop which "could" be described as unwarranted.

In that ONE, the officer had insisted that MY assumption of 60KPH allowing 40MPH was incorrect and I should have been driving at no greater than 36MPH.

Which was contrary to the practice wherever there was dual signage and 60/40 was the practice.

Other than that, EVERY single time that I was pulled over, I HAD committed the offense triggering the extortion negotiations.

Of course, times change and there may be a greater frequency of unwarranted stops nowadays.

MAYBE.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:26 AM

Same thing happened to me last year. I went thru a flashing green light, too late to stop. They said I ran a red light and wanted $60, I told them no way and we started for the police station when they stopped and let me go.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:45 AM

Get a dash cam
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:49 AM

pulled over last July in Ensenada. At 6 a.m. . Only car on road. officer said I should have waited for left turn arrow. Went back to intersection and the light was in-op. He apoligized
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

In that ONE, the officer had insisted that MY assumption of 60KPH allowing 40MPH was incorrect and I should have been driving at no greater than 36MPH.

Which was contrary to the practice wherever there was dual signage and 60/40 was the practice.

Offtopic here, but the officer was right, posted limit 60 k/h = 36 m/h, not 40 m/h. There is no practice posting dual signage in Mexico, the govt regulations require km/h. Officers normally ignore first 10 km/h over the limit... EXCEPT FOR WHEN HE NEEDS CASH. Holidays are coming, or his novia wants a new dress, who knows...
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 11:24 AM

SF, have you ever used that tactic? Sounds good, but
I might be a bit apprehensive, not sure of his reaction.
Probably wouldn't pay attention or read the expiration dates though

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

SF, have you ever used that tactic? Sounds good, but
I might be a bit apprehensive, not sure of his reaction.
Probably wouldn't pay attention or read the expiration dates though

No, I've never had to use it. I understand what you're saying though.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 11:54 AM

I got shaken down on the west side of La Paz in 2013, by a cop on a motorcycle. He used the drivers license hostage routine to extort a bribe for not confiscating it. That's the short version.

I was told by a former member of the L.P. P.D., that they don't actually have the authority to confiscate it (Feds do) so just show it, and don't allow him to take it.

I did just that in the spring of 2014, and told them, "no mordida, give me a ticket, or let me go" It worked! I don't think he wanted me talking to a judge.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 12:03 PM
Lose your license!

Not in Baja, but in the state where you live. On the same spring 2014 trip, my license wound up being left at the TSA security on my Flight back to Anchorage.

I had to go to the DMV and get an duplicate, and shortly after that, I received the one I left behind in the mail. The old one is the one I carry SOB, with the new one secured. I obviously need to us the new one in the US, but I have a disposable, current one that I can put at risk.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 01:35 PM

If I were a cop, expired license would've raised a red flag to treat the driver with more caution - at the very least. There is a good chance that I would've noticed this (if I were a cop). They are trained to notice details that don't matter to other people.

One tip that I was given - tape to the back of the DL a piece of paper:

SINDICATURA del GOBIERNO MUNICIPAL
TIJUANA 683-4095
ENSENADA 617-1561

Put a lot of crease on the tape so that the turd at the back of DL will make him look.

Never had to use this on Mex cops. NOB cops glanced briefly, didn't say anything.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 02:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

And when the cop looks at the expiration date, and calls you on it?

You need a DL with a VALID date, not expired, so be a little more creative?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 02:38 PM

Recently, I believe on another site, maybe Mexicali, guy
pulled over, speeding? Cop said it was going to be $20 mordida, I haven't
heard of $20 in 20 yrs., but he told the cop he wanted to go pay
at the station, where he paid $900 pesos, $50 dlls. or so.
Other Mex Nationals there paid the same for same offensives
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Get a dash cam

....and watch it be confiscated for "evidence" never to be seen again.
Like the idea, Terry, but it could easily go wrong for lots of impromptu reasons. If the recording could be Wi-Fi saved....that would be cool....but the judge won't be on your side, and illegal taping [legit or not] could become an issue....legit or not.
So....record it and save it for a grandiose YouTube vid that the world gets to enjoy.

My routine is to make my own licenses, as well as other cards with my printer-scanner.... altering muy important details......laminate them with a 20 buck Amazon machine, and tell the armed robber "I'll go to the station myself"....as I head down the avenue in my desired direction.
Eff'em.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 03:36 PM

Mordida is here to stay. It's an aspect of culture. Play the game, or devote yourself to refusal, but you won't change anything.
My choice is refusal.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.