Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali East FMM hours
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 07:33 AM
Mexicali East FMM hours

Headed down to GB on Wed afternoon...crossing at Mexicali East for the 1st time...how late can we get tourist permits ? Any hints on the approach to the crossing and parking...leading a "caravan" of 3 vehicles with a crew cab dually/full size truck camper,pulling a 19ft boat...then a pickup and Jeep Cherokee.....thanks Nomad, in advance

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 07:55 AM
FMM and parking southbound

FMM is easy, park in the bigger lot, where the lower red arrow shows. Not sure of the hours but certainly late afternoon is fine.

John M
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 08:23 AM

Dizzy
Before you head south please read
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87792&pag...
You may be turned around???
Who knows what the Mx guy on duty at the border will do?

Most of the camper guys are in panic mode at this time.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 09:44 AM

Are not the immigration people there anytime the border is open, ie 24/7 if it is a 24/7 border? How else can they have legal visitors as an FMM is now required for any part of Baja for any time in Mexico?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 10:57 AM

Ive read the camper notes and from what I can decipher, it applies to the mainland crossings and travel, but not to Baja?
We will be leaving Tucson around 1500...ETA to crossing about 5 hrs =/- so 2000?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
How else can they have legal visitors as an FMM is now required for any part of Baja for any time in Mexico?

That was my opinion also, but I crossed Mexicali West 3 months ago, stopped for a 7 day
fmm, was an Imm officer I had never dealt with. He seemed
kinda dismissive to my request for the 7 day fmm, as if I
did not need one, got one anyway. A while back, on a fb San Felipe, was a post, a tourist crossing Mexicali West, was asked
by a Imm officer who was at standing at the traffic arms, green/red lites, where and
how long he was going to be in Mex, 5 days he replied, which the
I'm officer said be did not need an fmm. Es Mexico
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 12:31 PM

I checked the info on the bajabound.com site. It states that a FMM is REQUIRED for Baja travel, but that a vehicle TIP (except for the boat, which I already have is not, unless you go outside of Baja and a part of Sonora (ie: into the mainland)
I have also reached out to Geoff at Bajanomad to see if we can get clarification.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dizzyspots  
I checked the info on the bajabound.com site. It states that a FMM is REQUIRED for Baja travel

Info from sites can or can not be accurate. They are
accurate to the individual at time of posting. These 6 or so crossings into Baja, may or not follow the exact Imm regs,
they at times, seem to follow their own regs. To me, there
is no concrete/ blanket regs they go by, from TJ to Algodones, they may
have different applications. The only REAL Imm regs are what
the particular Imm Officer/ Customs Officer says they are at the time of your crossing. For me, I always have every T crossed, paperwork
as exact as I know how, probably overkill to some. Have read of some Motorhomes
being required to get a TIP to enter Baja

[Edited on 9-29-2017 by sancho]
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 02:34 PM

We have been using Mexicali East for some time now and have been buying our FMM online. This really doesn't save a whole lot of time UNLESS you get a grumpy guy at the desk and a large crowd. Spent over and hour there a few years ago, much faster if you just need the stamp.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 04:22 PM

You should use downtown Mexicali... Always friendly, fast, and never an issue getting the free 7-day FMM or the pay 180-day FMM.

When I was leading the way on The Baja Extreme 2016 tour, the officer told our group of 4x4 Toyotas to just double park in front of the office (as there is almost never more than ONE parking spot open to use).

Heck, there is never anyone else there getting the thing. Only Baja Nomads (maybe just some) bother to be "legal"! I watched 4x4s and campers passing by as I walked in and out of the INM office each time. They probably don't even know you "need" an FMM, as nobody ever asks to see it in Baja. HOWEVER, won't we be happy IF someplace they do, and we have ours! LOL

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 06:44 PM
towed boat downtown?

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You should use downtown Mexicali... Always friendly, fast, and never an issue getting the free 7-day FMM or the pay 180-day FMM.

When I was leading the way on The Baja Extreme 2016 tour, the officer told our group of 4x4 Toyotas to just double park in front of the office (as there is almost never more than ONE parking spot open to use).

Heck, there is never anyone else there getting the thing. Only Baja Nomads (maybe just some) bother to be "legal"! I watched 4x4s and campers passing by as I walked in and out of the INM office each time. They probably don't even know you "need" an FMM, as nobody ever asks to see it in Baja. HOWEVER, won't we be happy IF someplace they do, and we have ours! LOL

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 08:59 PM

Both Mexicali borders have about the same city miles... if that was the concern. Parking is not good at downtown, however.

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 09:42 PM

Last year i was asked for my FMM at the military check point north of San Felepe by an immigration officer We usually cross at Mexicali west / Calexico and get it there pay there

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.