Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TMC ferry fare for truck/camper
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 12:21 PM
TMC ferry fare for truck/camper

Anyone know the TMC fares for truck with cab-over camper (loaded on pickup bed). For some reason, TMC does not list truck/camper on their "Tarifario Oficial a Partir". (???)

I need the fare for the Topo to La Paz route (one-way)

And, I assume I can get my TIP refunded at Pichilingue ferry terminal - correcto? Thx Rob

http://www.ferrytmc.com/resources/tarifas_2015.pdf

"I'm too young to be this old!"
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 12:43 PM

Don't know the fares for the TMC ferry, but we do a roundtrip La Paz-Mazatlan-La Paz every year in Baja Ferries with our pickup and camper. For years they tried to designate us a "mini-motorhome", which is what I suspect your classification will be. We finally have them recognizing us as a "pick-up with cargo." It helps that we are a half-ton truck and our camper is 20 years old and doesn't have a bathroom. My suggestion is to get there a day early and see what you can work out with them.
As far as I know, you can get a TIP at the Pichilingue ferry office but you can NOT turn one in. I believe you have to do that at the border.
Good luck.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 12:50 PM

[Edited on 3-15-2018 by PaulW]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 01:10 PM

B&J is correct, no TIP and refund at Pichillingue, I emailed and asked and was replied I can turn in at Tecate or Mexicali or Oaty Mesa....

I hear the whales song
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 09:45 AM

The fares are established by length of vehicle........not height.

I hear the whales song
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
The fares are established by length of vehicle........not height.
What about weight? Do they weigh the rig?

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
B&J is correct, no TIP and refund at Pichillingue, I emailed and asked and was replied I can turn in at Tecate or Mexicali or Oaty Mesa....
So, no TIP can be purchased or refund obtained at Pichillingue - correct? In that case, if going from Pichillingue to Topo - where is the TIP purchased? At Topo?

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 02:31 PM

Yes, they weigh your rig, but that is mainly to know how much cargo weight they are putting on the ferry. Bajagrouper is right, they measure the length of the vehicle to determine the fare; BUT it also depends on your classification ie pickup vs. van vs motorhome vs semi truck, etc. Trucks with campers are a hybrid animal. As I said, we have been classified as a mini motorhome home in the past. This is a more expensive classification---at least with Baja Ferries. It was only after much negotiation we were able to get ourselves classified as a pickup with cargo, a much cheaper classification.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 08:53 PM

You can get your TIP at Pichilingue (unless something has recently changed) but you cannot get your refund processed there- has to be done at border when exiting Mexico.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 06:19 PM
TIP refund time limit?

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
You can get your TIP at Pichilingue (unless something has recently changed) but you cannot get your refund processed there- has to be done at border when exiting Mexico.
Is there a time limit after which no refund is given? Hope not!!

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Yup, there is - 180 days. Just got my TIP and that's what it says and the clerk made sure I understood.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 07:17 AM

Yup, there is - 180 days. Just got my TIP and that's what it says and the clerk made sure I understood.

Your TIP expires when your immigration document expires.

So, in the case of an FMM, a maximum of 180 days.

Remember, the whole idea of the TIP for your vehicle is that your vehicle leaves Mexico when you do. Nothing left behind ....

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 07:49 AM

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 08:06 AM

Is the difficulty with p/u camper combos a result of this?

"There are weight restrictions for vehicles that are NOT motorhomes getting vehicle TIPs for mainland. The GVWR cannot be more than 7,716 pounds (3.5 tons) if the vehicle is not a motorhome."

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/motorhome-temporary-import-pe...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Discussion is a waste of time, because a pickup with a camper is not allowed to get a TIP to enter Mexico mainland. You cannot get one for Baja either, but it is not required for Baja. The new law has been effect for a short time.
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 (1-ton) diesel 4wd with a 3,500+ lb camper and gear load. Crossed at Nogales on Oct 3rd and obtained TIP same day at km21. Absolutely no problem.

The immigration employee at the border crossing did look at my 9,900 lb GVWR on the driver door jamb - and then said "OK" after consulting with another employee.

Also, I provided only vehicle registration. Did not show nor was asked for vehicle title at either Nogales crossing or km21 Banjercito.

So, "officially" maybe not allowed - but in reality is allowed!

[Edited on 10-6-2017 by unbob]

[Edited on 10-6-2017 by unbob]

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Which border crossing when exiting Mexico? My normal exit is Tecate - Banjercito there? TJ or Mexicali or ???

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:38 PM

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:43 PM

The question is still unanswered is the weight limit for a pickup/camper the gross weight (GVWR) or just the cargo? Maybe that is why unbob got a TIP at the Nogales crossing? Campers should not exceed the 7,716 pounds (3.5 tons) max limit.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The question is still unanswered is the weight limit for a pickup/camper the gross weight (GVWR) or just the cargo? Maybe that is why unbob got a TIP at the Nogales crossing? Campers should not exceed the 7,716 pounds (3.5 tons) max limit.
I can only confirm my 9,900 lb GVWR stamped on the door jamb was inspected by the INM employee at Nogales crossing and I was given the A-OK!:D

They don't weigh the rig so have no idea of the actual total rig weight.

[Edited on 10-13-2017 by unbob]

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 03:29 PM
TMC Topo -> Pichilingue crossing

A very late update re my crossing on Oct 4th, 2018:

Much to my pleasant surprise I was charged the rate for only a pick-up truck - no add'l charge for my camper! Sweet!

As mentioned earlier there was no "pick-up truck w/camper" rate given on the TMC rate sheet.

I was charged $2,420 mxn for "PICK UP Y VANNETE COMERCIAL".

So, charged a commercial rate - not a tourist rate.

Total charge was $3,425 mxn including single passenger and taxes/fees. At the time the usd equivalent was $188.28.

Not bad! Much cheaper than I expected! As always, YMMV!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.