Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Asuncion winter weather
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 07:12 PM
Bahia Asuncion winter weather

What are the general wind conditions like at B.A. for the months of Jan/Feb?Looking to hear from Nomads that spend winter time there, (as well as the folks that live and have businesses there) Been there once in early Nov 2015 for a few days and liked the vibe. Gotta escape the Oregon coast rain this winter.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 09:51 PM

Been there a few times in February and March beautiful weather didnt notice much difference from any other time of year just not quite as warm as summer or fall.
We go down to go whale watching in February or March almost every year alays have had good weather in Guererro negro with wind in the afternoon the weather is the same as San Diego with less rain.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 01:39 AM

I live there and the weather during those months is pretty much cookie cutter. Flat calm or just a slight offshore wind in the early morning that totally lays down a couple hours after sunrise. Some time between 11 am and 2 pm the NNW wind will pick up usually between 10 and 18 MPH. March through June the water really cools down and the winds pick up earlier and stronger. Zero chance of rain or storms during that period.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:25 AM

If the reporting station at Punta Abreojos is any indication, it's mostly light winds with highs in the 60s and lows in the mid-upper 50s. Water is probably mid 60s . All temps Fahrenheit, of course.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:08 PM

Sounds real nice and reliable.. Hoping to find a flat pad and palapa vibe close to the beach for my Toyota T100 and tent trailer. Maybe 2 weeks .
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:12 PM

There’s a campground right by the beach.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:24 PM

Hombre66 has a place to stay in BA.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
I live there and the weather during those months is pretty much cookie cutter. Flat calm or just a slight offshore wind in the early morning that totally lays down a couple hours after sunrise. Some time between 11 am and 2 pm the NNW wind will pick up usually between 10 and 18 MPH. March through June the water really cools down and the winds pick up earlier and stronger. Zero chance of rain or storms during that period.

I agree except you can get some nasty north winds when there are big storms in San Diego. Otherwise, it's really nice that time of year.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 08:47 AM

If you don't like the wind in vizcaino/central baja, wait 4 hours and it will be totally different.

Yes, it blows in central baja in winter :biggrin:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 10:01 AM

Shari has a campground with hot shower. electrical outlets Washer machine, used book library inside the building where the shower & bathroom are.
we stay there every time we are in Asuncion we will be there in a week for 8 days
No palapa but still one of my favorite camping spots in Baja Sur
She also has a B&B and some rentals too.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaDanD  
Shari has a campground with hot shower. electrical outlets Washer machine, used book library inside the building where the shower & bathroom are.

I think the campground is called La Sirena (sp?) The shower/reading room also has WIFI, get the password when you check in.

It is located near the Pemex station on the same side of the street.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 11:12 AM

Asuncion is a great town....and the coastline is spectacular in both directions....and last winter we had two significant rainstorms in January....so it isn't Shangrila every day....but close enough for mortals.

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 02:41 PM

It blows about 15mph from about 10-11 until just about dark every day during that timeframe. Then it settles down for the night. Most days it's too rough to go out in a boat. The weather is much gentler on the Cortez during those months. I have a house there.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 09:46 PM

Skipjack: What I am hearing in general is normal Pacific PM onshore flow down there in Asuncion. Sounds just fine. Anything like that will be a warm welcome from the Oregon coast mid winter. Had 15 major storms accompanied by variable 30/40 mph winds between the months of 9/16 4/17 Brookings, Crescent City. Am expecting similar this year.
AK: Stayed at Sirena Nov/2015 and loved the bath/library facility. Unfortunately, I got bit up by fleas there. Moved out half way between town and Roque, a little north of the racetrack.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 03:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Skipjack: What I am hearing in general is normal Pacific PM onshore flow down there in Asuncion. Sounds just fine. Anything like that will be a warm welcome from the Oregon coast mid winter. Had 15 major storms accompanied by variable 30/40 mph winds between the months of 9/16 4/17 Brookings, Crescent City. Am expecting similar this year.
AK: Stayed at Sirena Nov/2015 and loved the bath/library facility. Unfortunately, I got bit up by fleas there. Moved out half way between town and Roque, a little north of the racetrack.

"They" say that it will be a similar winter in the Pac NW. Of course, "they" didn't predict last winter, as I ever read.

The incredible winter of 2016-17 made it to a lot of places in Mexico. In San Carlos Sonora, it was the rainiest winter in the nine years I have lived there. But it was still a very minor amount.

My point is, that winter was something of an anomaly. Many areas of the Pac NW saw rain/snow amounts that they hadn't seen in 50 years. Some of that managed to get down to Asuncion. Probably very rare, really.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 06:02 PM

It sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp of it - it certainly varies, but general patterns are sunny mornings from sunrise to 11am/noon, followed by moderate to strong winds that limit boating/beach activities until just before sunset.

You get a few rain clouds and foggy mornings here and there, and the occasional good storm (as Ged mentioned). Things tend get windier and less pleasant as you get into March/April.

The other thing to be aware of is the broad range in temperature - it can be nearly 80 during the day and then dip to the low 40s at night. So make room for some sweaters and blankets under all the fishing gear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 01:54 AM

I have never seen the temps drop below 50-55 at Asuncion. Inland - yes. At Catavina the temps get real low at night in winter but Asuncion is buffered by the sea which prevents highs and lows.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 02:14 PM

My experience over 10 years is that October thru February are mostly picture perfect with some westerlies in the afternoon. March the change starts and the winds and dampness start to pick up. That being said weather is never a sure thing even in paradise and I have been in terrible sand storms in February there.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.