[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 12:06 PM
Best place to cross border from Yuma

My first trip down to hwy 5 from Yuma. Is Algodones a good place to cross or
is Calexico a better crossing?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 12:37 PM

I last crossed there in 2013, and I used the San Luis crossing. It couldn't have been a smoother entry, but I know nothing about where to get an FMM at that location.

Since gasoline is still cheaper on the US side, and there is no toll road, I think I would use Mexicali East if I was approaching from Yuma again. I think it would be a simple straight shot from Yuma, but I have not used it.

I have only crossed going North at Algodones, so I can't offer useful advice there. I also would appreciate an update from someone with better info, I am thinking of visiting friends just north of there this season on my way south!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 01:41 PM

x2 on San Luis. Take the Mexicali bypass 2D to 5.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 01:46 PM

Araby Road turns into Hwy 195 and is a very easy shot right to San Luis.

Crossing at Algo might be easy enough, but unless you know your way to hook up MX 2D west bound, I wouldn't go that way.
It's a series of turns that can be confusing.

Whereas, once you cross at San Luis.....it's a no brainer first right turn onto MX 2D and west bound.

bajatomas

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 01:59 PM
Thanks amigos

Where do I get my FMM after I cross?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 02:00 PM
FMM?

What is it like getting an FMM at San Luis? I confess that I didn't even know I needed one the last time I crossed there. I never even encountered a human there, just a crossing arm that raised and lowered to let one car at a time pass!

[Edited on 9-30-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatomas  
Where do I get my FMM after I cross?

Ask the friendly MX official who is looking you in the eye right at the green/red light.

bajatomas

lol.gif posted on 9-30-2017 at 05:18 PM

hahaha I will
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:25 PM

The office is immediately on your right when you cross. The building is part of the pedestrian gate that enters Mexico. Park down the street and walk back. There is awkward parking at the Migracion building, but it's better to park down the street. Ask for the 180 day FMM.
Also of importance is to return your FMM when you exit Mexico. There aren't any signs saying you have to, you just have to. Return it at the same office where you acquired it, or any Migracion building in San Luis, Algodones, Mexicali, Tecate or Tijuana.
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:43 PM

I'm aware that the FMM should be returned but in the past they have looked at me like I had a square head when I tried to return it. So far even with the advent of computers I haven't had or really heard of any blowback from this. I keep hoping that when it happens I can rely on my lack of Spanish and my natural dumb look to get out of it.

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 09:44 PM

Faster to go through calixco/Mexicali
You get ti stay on interstate 8
Dont worry about not returning the fmm they dont know unless you tell them
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 11:39 PM

Re FMM returns:
Blowback does happen... an inmate on Adventure Rider posted this the other day:

"I never used to turn in my FMM as trying to get back to INM office heading north can be an extreme pain in the ass. Last year crossing at Tecate the gal at INM opened my passport and pointed out all of my entry stamps and no exit stamps!! Rut row...... Needless to say she wasn't happy and I paid an additional fee for each time I had an entrance stamp and no exit to get my FMM."

For the little time it takes to turn it in, why not? Could save you a bit or more hassle in the future. Besides, on the back of the FMM, it does state to turn it back in upon your departure.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 07:25 AM

I alternate between San Luis and Los Algodones. San Luis is faster but (at least with a camper shell) the chances of getting pulled over into secondary is greater. Los Algodones is one lane, so no secondary, but you drive through a little country before arriving at 2d. Pick your poison. I like both a lot better than Calexico. Going North I go through San Luis (Sentri lane).
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 08:24 AM

San Luis is good for trailer as is Mexicali east Algodones is great, but not for a trailer.
Chances for customs inspection (southbound) is much greater in Algodones than any other crossing I have used.
So far no customs in San Luis or Mexicali east. I think it is because we usually arrive with lots of other traffic?
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Re FMM returns:
Blowback does happen... an inmate on Adventure Rider posted this the other day:

"I never used to turn in my FMM as trying to get back to INM office heading north can be an extreme pain in the ass. Last year crossing at Tecate the gal at INM opened my passport and pointed out all of my entry stamps and no exit stamps!! Rut row...... Needless to say she wasn't happy and I paid an additional fee for each time I had an entrance stamp and no exit to get my FMM."

For the little time it takes to turn it in, why not? Could save you a bit or more hassle in the future. Besides, on the back of the FMM, it does state to turn it back in upon your departure.

If you already have your FMM there is no need to stop at Immigration going either way I use a passport card we go into Mexico 5-6 times a year for the last 20 years have never turned in FMM If you return after it has expired don't show them the old FMM or it might look like you have been in Mexico after it expired you might have to prove you left the country for 72 hours this can be done with gas receipts and such. I have done this accidentally twice before and the Immigration guy told me to get rid of it. was a little peeed I had it. I asked about turning it in on exit, he said to just throw it away.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by BajaDanD]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 02:41 PM

Last year I crossed into USA at Algodones and asked three separate customs guards to stamp my passport to indicate entry date for insurance purposes....they all refused and looked at me like I was nuts....this also happened twice at Tecate previous years.

That is wierd :?:

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 02:50 PM

I've crossed at San Luis probably a half-dozen times heading to Sonora.

It's very easy. Fast to get a visa and permits.

Just watch out, there is a stop sign right after you pass there the red light/green light. I missed it once and got stopped.

I've never turn in any of our visas in a 100 trips except when they take it from you at the airport.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 05:33 PM

This debate can go on forever, without agreement of what to do...
Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with and are willing to pay the price if it goes sideways down the road.
I prefer to minimize any potential future dilemmas, so I turn mine in every time and ensure my passport is stamped with the proper date (I've had them correct the wrong date stamp before) and the "S" (Salida) is present in the date code stamp. What could possibly go wrong then? :biggrin:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
San Luis is good for trailer as is Mexicali east Algodones is great, but not for a trailer.
Chances for customs inspection (southbound) is much greater in Algodones than any other crossing I have used.
So far no customs in San Luis or Mexicali east. I think it is because we usually arrive with lots of other traffic?

we have had the exact opposite experience. Algodones has no secondary so if they inspect you they hold up traffic. San Luis has 4 lanes of secondary and the last 2 times wanted proof of parasite eradication on the dog. Go figure. San Luis is much better for a trailer.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 10:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
This debate can go on forever, without agreement of what to do...
Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with and are willing to pay the price if it goes sideways down the road.
I prefer to minimize any potential future dilemmas, so I turn mine in every time and ensure my passport is stamped with the proper date (I've had them correct the wrong date stamp before) and the "S" (Salida) is present in the date code stamp. What could possibly go wrong then? :biggrin:

Naw, you are a fear monger. I hate posts like these. There is no debate.

Have gotten 100's of visas for me, wife, and 3 kids at no less than 7 different border crossings plus 3-4 different airports.

Never one issue.

[Edited on 10-2-2017 by JZ]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.