BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone ever gotten a 10year RVTIP for a truck camper?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 09:59 AM
Anyone ever gotten a 10year RVTIP for a truck camper?

Specifically looking to persons who may have gotten one in the last 2-3 years.

If you did, or if you were denied, could you report here?

Especially interested if you got one online from Banjercito.
salsaliz

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 10:55 AM

We were planning to take our travel trailer to Pete's Campo El Paraiso near San Felipe next month, but now according to Discover Baja we will need a 6 month, single entry TIP for the truck and the trailer and pay large deposits to Banjercito on each vehicle in addition to the cost of the permits.

My husband tried to apply for the permits on line but apparently you need to buy your FMMs first as you must enter that number in order to move on in the application process.

After over 30 years of good times camping in Baja it seems we are now apparently being told: "we don't want you to come here any more".

Notably the SCORE website has a list of what racers, chasers and support teams must do to get in.

It is not at all clear that we can even tent camp because we load our gear into a pick up bed (no camper shell).

We will likely cancel our trip and take Baja permanently off our list of places to camp.

Sad!

Anybody have any further information?

SalsaLiz
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by salsaliz  

It is not at all clear that we can even tent camp because we load our gear into a pick up bed (no camper shell).
SalsaLiz

No 1st hand info, just what has been recently reported. As with
many new Mex regs things are murky, it will probably shake out in the future, very recently truck with trailer was
not required to get TIP crossing at Mexicali, who knows, tomorrow may be different, the different crossings may
enforce this or not. Seems the mainland does not allow 3/4,
1 ton trucks, based on gvwr.I don't believe Baja has those
regs, at least yet. A truck without, or with a shell, doesn't seem like it
would draw security. If strictly enforced as written, this
would become a real cluster
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 12:25 PM

"....After over 30 years of good times camping in Baja it seems we are now apparently being told: "we don't want you to come here any more"...."

Really?????....when is following the law (obtaining an FMM and a TIP on your vehicles) translated into 'we don't want you to come here anymore"???

We were planning to take our travel trailer to Pete's Campo El Paraiso near San Felipe next month, but now according to Discover Baja we will need a 6 month, single entry TIP for the truck and the trailer and pay large deposits to Banjercito on each vehicle in addition to the cost of the permits.

My husband tried to apply for the permits on line but apparently you need to buy your FMMs first as you must enter that number in order to move on in the application process.

After over 30 years of good times camping in Baja it seems we are now apparently being told: "we don't want you to come here any more".

Notably the SCORE website has a list of what racers, chasers and support teams must do to get in.

We will likely cancel our trip and take Baja permanently off our list of places to camp.

Sad!

Anybody have any further information?

SalsaLiz
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 01:52 PM

What I find confusing about these new regs from the info I've
seen, is that a 40'
Motorhome weighing who knows what, gets a 10 yr. TIP
for $50, while a Toy Tacoma towing a 17' fiberglass Casita,
on paper, will be required to get a TIP for the Truck and one for theTrailer
good for only 6 months. The
way I understand it, may be wrong, is that a cabover truck
camper, 3/4 t, will not be allowed a TIP on the mainland,
but 'your mileage may very'. But yes, Baja has been immune
from some of the red tape, but what the heck, it is their Country
so going there may require a little more effort than in the past

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 02:31 PM

it seems we are now apparently being told: "we don't want you to come here any more".

sounds familiar... where have i heard that before?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 02:34 PM

This is all pretty crazy. I've been following a similar thread on Talk Baja and nobody seems to know what the regulations are.

I would go by what the Discover Baja travel club has to say. They're a long time San Diego based baja travel club and it's their business to know about things like this.

Another good source would be one of the tour organizers that put together caravans of vehicles with people that depend upon them to know the rules.

They might have some insight into the 3/4 ton truck with a cab over camper issue because rigs like that often go on the tours.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 02:47 PM

Wonder if they are now requiring TIP's for travel to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point)???
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook

Specifically looking to persons who may have gotten one in the last 2-3 years.

If you did, or if you were denied, could you report here?

Especially interested if you got one online from Banjercito.

== =
Per the law truck/camper are not eligible for a TIP. The guy on the other thread went thru Nogales and got a TIP. I wonder it was 6 mo or 10 year?
Yes, read the other threads and see which guys were denied a TIP.
For Baja I bet you can just drive south and be inspected and waived on. Use Mexicali East where the traffic is heavy and inspectors don't give a hoot.
BTW, I have not read anything regarding a car, SUV, or pickup towing a travel trailer having any issues. If they require a TIP go along with them. If not drive on. If you need an FMM and a TIP get them at the same time
Keep following all the various threads here and on talk Baja. FMMs require cash. TIPs require a credit card and you can get a refund for the TIP if you return to the US at the same place you bought your TIP.
moisheh

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 07:12 PM

There is no refund for a TIP. BUT if you pay the deposit that is refunded. Truck campers are not vehicles. Although a few have gotten TIP's for campers normally they do not. Actually you would need to import the camper! The biggest problem this year is trucks that have a GVW of 7700 lbs. and more. They are being turned away. usually it is the one tons that are turned away. Crazy!!!
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by moisheh  
The biggest problem this year is trucks that have a GVW of 7700 lbs. and more. They are being turned away. usually it is the one tons that are turned away. Crazy!!!
As always, YMMV. I crossed at Nogales on 10/03 with my 9,900lb GVWR 1-ton diesel truck loaded with 3,500lb camper. INM inspector looked at the GVWR on the door Jamb and said "OK"!:D

And I've been crossing at either Tecate or SY since 2003 with never any problem whatsoever!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 06:57 PM

Crossed San Ysidro at 6:30 this morning in a one ton with camper and trailer. Got the xray and a quick search of the camper and trailer. No issues with being one ton with camper. It was business as usual.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 05:42 AM

We just completed a 7 day vacation to GB...crossed over at Mexicali East...We have a TIP for our 19ft boat.
We were driving a Chevy 1 ton crew cab dually with a full size truck camper on top. No request for a TIP...just normal inspection.
Friend traveling with us in a crew cab with bed FULL of camping gear and supplies, again, normal inspection...no TIP required.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 08:05 AM

As reported above, we crossed at San Ysidro about a month and a half ago with our 14’ tent trailer in tow. Got the X-ray and a friendly wave down the road. Were not asked for FMM, just trailer registration.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 08:26 AM

Any reports for San Luis crossing?
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 10:06 AM

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this, and people are getting conflicting answers depending on who you talk to.

Last Wednesday we went to the border at Tijuana to talk to the officials in the Aduanas and Banjercito offices. According to them, the TIP is now required for all RV's crossing into Baja. We specifically asked if campers/travel trailers/toy haulers also needed the TIP and they said they did not.

Adding to that, we crossed at Mexicali last Thursday on our way to the Pete's Camp poker run. We were hauling a 26' toy hauler pulled by my Tundra. We were sent to secondary where they did the routine inspection. I asked the agent if the TIP was required for RV's/campers/travel trailers/toy haulers and he replied that the TIP isn't required for any vehicle traveling in Baja. I asked again (in Spanish) very specifically if RV's needed the TIP and he was adamant that no vehicles need them for Baja.

It looks like the only change that may be enforced is if you are driving an RV into Baja they might make you get a TIP. But it seems to be business as usual and no TIP required if you are bringing a travel trailer/camper/toy hauler.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 10:18 AM

Did the folks in Aduanas specify whether they were going to require the multi year TIP like boats, or the one trip type, with a deposit that needs to be reclaimed on exit?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 12:03 PM

Based upon our conversation, the RV TIP is for 10 years, will cost around $50 and no deposit is required for the vehicle.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-17-2017 at 12:03 PM

my neighbors crossed Wednesday...no tip required

truck and camper in the bed

edit: they crossed at tj

[Edited on 10-17-2017 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.