Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ensenada advice please
AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 9-8-2003 at 09:50 PM
Ensenada advice please

Where are your favorite places to eat dinner in Ensenada?
Mom's first trip to Baja and doing Ensenada on the way down. She only been to TJ and Ensenada and the last time for either was in 1965!
Next stops for overnites are, BOLA, Mulege, La Ventana and Cabo. Hitting San Ignacio for lunch, Loreto for breakfast along the way. As well as sight seeing along the way. She's staying for 2 weeks before she flys home, then another few weeks for me.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-8-2003 at 10:09 PM

La Embotelladora Vieja, Mariscos Bahia Ensenada, and the very casual Mariscos Playa Azul.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 08:16 AM
places to eat

Just outside of Mulege (going south)on the right hand side there is a restaurant called "La Palapa". Very good food and the price is right. :yes:
Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 10:42 AM

El Rey Sol in Ensenada. A must have is their salad with bleu cheese. Haliotas for delicious Abulone .:smug:
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 10:54 AM
places to eat

Doc, Hey we're neighbors up here, we should get together and talk sometime, I'm right next to the Rosevelt....stop by.
Anyhow when were passing through Ensenada, we like Cazuelas for steaks, the Dragon de Oro has excellent Chinese food.;) we have never been to El Rey del Sol although I have heard it is outstanding...Bien Provecho! CJ:cool:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 03:14 PM

Stand up -- El Trailero on the main drag north of town near the cannery, for tortas. La Floreta in the center of town near the cathedral, for fish tacos.

Sit down -- Carbone's, kitty corner from Las Cazuelas, for chorizo/carne/queso tacos and stuffed potatoes. There's an excellent mariscos place a few blocks in from the port under a big palapa that serves big platters of fresh shrimp, etc. Can't recall the name, but a number of people who now post on this board will know it. Everything is great at La Fonda, aka El Royal, between Ensenada and Puerto Nuevo. Huge portions, great atmosphere (kinda miss the funk factor of the old place, though, and the crooked waiters). Nothing like sitting at the bar at sunset with a bucket of steamers and an icy margarita. Ahhhhhh . . . . .
Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 04:47 PM
A real treat

For your Mom, Doc, I would take her to Estero Beach for any meal and the view!Have you been there?Does she like the stand up places, funky, sit down and always good places?I'll ask Juanita about a good breakfast place in Loreto .Sounds like a fun trip. Just you and Mom?
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 07:05 PM

Thanks for the posts and keep them coming. Once I get around the La Paz and La Ventana I 've it wired, been going there for years. I'll do Cafe Ole for breakfast in Loreto more then likely.
Doing everything from carts to sit downs. Showing her the true Baja not just the tourist stuff.
Will being doing Cabo and could use some advice there. I haven't been there in 12 years and friends say I won't even recognize it. I've lived in tourist resorts my whole life. Laguna Beach (grew up there), Catalina Island (for the summer), crewed and lived on board the Wild Goose-John Waynes boat, Yosemite (4 yrs), Tahoe (3 yrs), Couer d'Alene (1.5 yrs) and Sun Valley (6.5 yrs and counting). The point being having lived in resorts I don't want to vacation in one!
Thanks for all advice in advance again
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 08:16 PM

The fact that I detest resorts notwithstanding, if I were taking my mother to Baja for the first time, I'd spend the night and eat dinner and then breakfast at Estero Beach Resort. It's not quite an authentic Mexican experience, but it's a nice, safe and pretty place. In fact, I wish my family and I were there right now. There will be time enough for the real Baja further south, like at the roadside loncheras on the way to and past El Rosario. My favorite places to eat in Baja are out in the desert where it is real, real quiet, and where it seems that there is nobody else on this earth except for me, whoever is with me, and the family who owns the rancho/lonchera. The quality of the food at that point is almost secondary; in fact, I wish I was there right now.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 08:19 PM
AcuDoc......

Well then, for "TRUE Baja" you must take her for a dance with Herman, and a Pacifco with Beach Bob......and a boat ride with anyone that is at Camp Gecko going out fishing, and enjoy a whale encounter!....AcuDoc....do yourself and your Mom a favor....stop by CampGecko and just ask Doc to point you to any Amigos...I know you are planning on being there in Oct. which I know several Amigos are also....Stop and enjoy, I envy You! Hugs, to your Mom! and you, enjoy! Debra
Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 09:15 PM
Nicely said Packoderm!

Yeah, he is right on Doc. It isn't a resort like you would find in Cabo or elsewhere. It is a very magical place and your mom would love it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 05:35 PM
Ensenada advice please

Packoderm> right on!

You are right on in your comments about advice to someone headed South. When asked about Ensenada tips my first question is "Why Ensenada? Why not go on to the real Baja?"
There is always a sense of sadness as we approach Maneadero, Northbound, because it means traffic, congestion, tourists, and the end of the "Baja Experience."
Your suggestion to find the desert spots is excellent. I have never had a bad road side meal in the desert. A few months ago we pulled into the little place at El Progreso and had a wonderful breakfast. She served 8 of us a variety of things and it was all good.
Then, a quick side trip down the dirt road to visit the San Fernando Velicata mission. All very nice and just what we go for.
So, the next time someone asks for advice on Ensenada, tell them to head South and enjoy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 07:01 PM

Well, yes the real Baja is all of Baja... However, Bajarunner thinks of the the old days (non pavement) as fondly as I do. So, I am going to guess 'The Real Baja' may begin at a line from Colonet to San Felipe (31? N Latitude). Or, perhaps where the boojums start growing?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 08:04 PM
Back to the question

He wanted suggestions or advice on Ensenada stops . Whats the problem? They will make it south but probably need to stop and eat and or sleep before the next trek south. It is Baja,once you cross the border!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 08:23 PM
The Real Baja

If Bahia de los Angeles is considered "the real Baja" then California must still be considered a frontier. It is a beautiful place though, in spite of all the Americans building homes there. Not exactly the Mexico you may remember. You might look into Restaurante Cueva de los Tigres near Estero Beach. The Abalone Quail dinner is awesome.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 08:24 PM

When were you there last? It's been closed for a couple of years now.

[Edited on 9-16-2003 by Roberto]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 08:56 PM
Ensenada advice please

david, thanks for chiming in.
The "real Baja" starts just past the last lettuce field South of the San Quintin Parador road.
If they succeed in building the dreaded private golf course and jet port at El Rosario then I guess it will start South of there.
Ensenada, in the 70's was my home away from home. Now, sad to say, it is just a big crowded "Second Street" strip.
Oh yeah, there is still some decent local shopping on Fifth Street but the ambiance is long, long gone.
No, "Real Baja" does not have to be a dirt road, just different from Gringolandia.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 10:53 PM

Ensenada is because like I said the only place in Baja she has ever been is TJ and Ensenada and she wanted to see it again. I usually keep heading south as suggested. Also BOLA is because this is probably the only time she is going to do the drive and thought she should see it. So the side trip was added.
I've been going to Baja for 15 years and though it is not a long time to some it is more then others. I camp in a tent for 5-6 weeks and very seldom do the hotel thing. Mostly to and from La Ventana but I'll do a night in La Paz a couple times over the 5-6 weeks just to get a hot shower, catch up on CNN (political junkie).
As for the "real Baja" to me it is very simple, its a place not saturated with tourists. I've lived in tourist resorts most of my life and do to this day. That is why I choose to be away from the crowds. Most people will admit that most cities are not where you find the the soul of most countries, its in its people away from the hustle and bustle. And just like anywhere else in the world, cities are not high on my list of places I want to spend a lot of my time...especially on my vacation.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 11:24 PM

That being said, I think that if I were to take my mother to Ensenada, and only in this case, I would avoid places like Anthony's and The Fox.:lol:

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 11:44 PM

Favorite Restaurant: El Rey Sol. It's not that there aren't others of the moment, but they set the bar and have kept it over all the years I have gone there.

Regarding several of the comments above in the area of Ensenada: In the last 20 or so years I have come to calling the wide but hairy stretch of highway between Ensenada and Maneadero the "longest 8 miles in Baja." To me they are truly that; the lanes are not of equal width, the faster traffic seems to always be in the lane normally intended for the slowest, There are way too many interesting things to see as the country turns from citified to rural, and, mostly, we are transitioning from a place some of us don't care to be (city) to the central desert where we have left our hearts. While I'd say nothing negative about Maneadero (have had a few good meals there and friends that live nearby), I'm always happiest once clear of the village, on the way south, of course. As always, north sucks.

[Edited on 9-16-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.