Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 11:11 AM
REST-IN-PEACE BAJA NOMAD MEMBERS

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by BajaNomad]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 11:33 AM

So sad, but death catches us all, sooner or later.

Here are just some Nomads off the top of my head who are on the other side...

Mike Humfreville, KASHEYDOG, Mike Supino, Baja Bernie, Taco de Baja (Brooks), fdt (Ferna de Tijuana), bajalera, Curt63, Corky1, and the list goes on.... jimmy smith, Debra ('TravelPearl'), Brandi, Bedman, Carlos Fiesta, Diklang, ...

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 01:18 PM

I did not know that Toneart passed away! I just returned to Grass Valley (his hometown) this week, and was going to try to meet up with him.

I never met the man, and in fact never knew his last name since our only contact was on this board, or by U2U. I learned more about him from the recent obituary;

http://www.theunion.com/news/obituaries/obituary-of-tony-har...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 02:48 PM

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 03:08 PM

So sad about Tony! Did not know he had crossed over. While visiting family in Grass Valley a few years ago, we had breakfast with Tony after a long time of personal messages. It ended up being a breakfast that went into lunch time.

He had already outlived his diagnosis and was doing amazingly well. His attitude toward the illness was so positive. We kept in contact off and on and recently John asked if I had heard from him recently. We both really liked Tony and hoped to meet up again.

DEP Tony, you helped so many while fighting your own battle. :(
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Tony was a good one for sure, news of his passing has been over at you know who's and two pages of filth here on the OT.....it took El8 to bring it to the main board. thank you David

I seldom visit here for many reasons and stay totally away from OT. It is too bad it surfaced there.

When we met, we talked quite a bit about fulano's hateful attack on him and others and the methods fulano uses ---- sick person he is.

On edit, I just read that filth in OT and am sickened by the trashing of Tony. Sick, just sick and filthy garbage.

But Tony can RIP knowing how much good he did for other people and his community.

[Edited on 10-7-2017 by DianaT]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 03:48 PM

I never actually met Tony, but we sparred often being we were at opposite ends of the political spectrum. I had long conversations with him via e-mail about his situation, Baja, politics, and everything in between and he was always a gentleman and I felt we were friends. I never go to OT anymore, and was not aware of his passing. Thanks so much to Elvestor18 for posting this on the main board. I will miss that guy!!!

On edit: I left out that we also talked a lot over the phone, and again he was always the gentleman, intelligent, and so kind, to me anyway.

[Edited on 10-7-2017 by Barry A.]
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 05:05 PM

It was discussed that Tonehart was an artist/musician. How interesting a life he lived...SF in the early days, Sausalito, Grass Valley where many hippies re settled. JJJ was/is just a bastard ... Dennis and many others understood their lack of worth/ value! Mulege is crying as we in Todos Santos lament our founders... true explorers and artists & musicians. Dust in The Wind. Feeling a bit withered. Tio ps I would love to read on a new post the life Tony lived here in Bajas earlier days. I know many of you knew him, por favor.

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by tiotomasbcs]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 07:15 PM

I too communicated with Tony and planned to stop by Grass Valley last year. He said meds weren't working and he was going down. Wrote him recently and didn't hear back so figured it was over. Regret not meeting him. He was a decent guy.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 07:35 PM

:( ... heart-break to read this ...

Tony and Dennis .. Both gentlemen and so very kind to share on this forum their knowledge and wisdom.

From an email Tony sent me in Feb 2015, he wrote "I am attaching a photo of my navigator".

Rest in peace.

Tony Hardwicks dog.jpg - 35kB

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 07:57 PM

There are a number of Punta Banda neighbors (near the blow hole in Ensenada) who have passed these last 4 weeks.

I think we all have to look at whether we have our affairs in order. Can that significant other, or family member, access your accounts, passwords, investments, etc?

Can that person speak for you. Can that person access or serve and advance directive?

These are all the things we have had to go through the last few weeks.

Think about it.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 07:58 PM

Oh my gosh, my good friend Toners is gone.

Tony and I met in the 90's and it is a strange story of how our meeting went. We taught at the same school in downtown San Diego, he had morning classes and I had night classes.

One day in the lunchroom, I overhear some colleagues talking about how Tony was living in a hotel because he had broken up with his girlfriend. His money was short and he was in a bind. I had a big house with an extra room so I suggested they have him call me. We met up, he really was in a bind and he stayed in my spare room until he got back on his feet. I got to go to the Hotel Grand and hear him play with many other amazing musicians. Thus we became friends.

He moved to Mulege and eventually I met Les and moved to Bocana so we went over to see his Oasis casita. I do remember his insisting that I join nomads but I resisted for quite a long time. I can't thank him enough for convincing me!

I will miss Toners - he was a one of a kind guy. I know that he was not doing well since he told me someone was taking care of Paco, his navigator. No one gives up their buddy unless really in a bad way.

RIP Tony....

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 08:00 PM

Thank you for this tribute!

All of us dreamed of this view as our ideal Baja.

Until we see it on the other side!

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 09:42 PM

Udo, I would love to hear of your other side experience. As a Paramedic for much of my career, I and many others have dealt with more death, dying and sickness than humans should ever see. If you ever feel like talking about it, I would love to listen. JH
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 10:32 PM

Just spent a bit more time reading the News board - so sorry Udo to learn of your loss as well. It's been a really challenging couple of years for you it seems from what I glean reading.

ELINVESTIG8R thank you for the post and for that beautiful photo of Tony and Mama Espinoza ..

Diane so nice to see a post from you .. how are you and yours?

Blanca small world gets smaller all the time doesn't it?

DavidK that list of Amigos makes me sad, add Debra Travel Pearl and of course Jimmy Smith too ...

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

POMPANO -

Any new info ......?

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 08:06 AM
Tony

Sad. Tony, I got to talk with him on the phone once but never face to face. Our store is in down town Grass Valley and Tony came and talked with my wife Shawna one time and they got to talk about our Baja adventures. Drove past his casa many times and of course in a big hurry to get to our destination as quickly as possible with out a stop to say hello. Same as passing Russ's...
When we first bought our place in Tripui almost 20 years ago we were the youngest couple in the place. We have also lost a list that is too long of neighbors that have passed on to the other side.
The time that we have to interact with friends like all of you that use this website to share all of our Baja dreams is to me along with my family is what life is about. Don't waste any chances...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 08:28 AM

The slow rapture is beaming Nomads up one by one. I can just see them all at happy hour on a beautiful Baja beach laughing about the antics of us left behind. While they surely are missed here in the sandbox, it warms my heart to think of them enjoying the other side.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  

DavidK that list of Amigos makes me sad, add Debra Travel Pearl and of course Jimmy Smith too ...

DONE!
Thank you for those additions. I forgot Don Jimmy was here on Nomad, I was thinking he was only on Amigos de Baja. Debra passing is still a shock to me and I guess I dismissed it mentally! Thanks for the reminder.

Adding also another "way too young" Baja Nomad to pass away just recently was 'Brandi' (Gonzaga Lover).
'Diklang' left us years ago, too soon.
'Carlos Fiesta' was one of Baja's greatest promoters and a super human being
'Dave in 29 Palms'
'Bedman'... wow, we lost Steve this year, too. He was so cool!

This is depressing!

Of course, there are a few more that we don't hear from anymore here and I worry they too are gone? Pompano is missed and had health issues, jeans (Mindy) was not well and it has been awhile since I saw any post from her. M (Michelle) vanished, too... and shortly after she made a comeback here.

A sad truth is the older we get, the more friends we lose... that is another unpleasant aspect of aging.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 09:22 AM

let us not forget a local legend Surfdoc!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.