BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What changes at the border since Bajageddon?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 02:53 PM
What changes at the border since Bajageddon?

Is there anything remarkable, like some kind of realignment of the entrance at San Ysidro? Still the 90 degree turn right and then again left? Much ado about nothing? Still able to get an FMM at the same spot?

John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 02:58 PM

I came back across SY friday just to see the changes.....it looked exactly the same to me! :?:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Which direction willard?

into mexico
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 04:55 PM

What's there now is not the final configuration. The BIG upcoming change is that the old southbound lanes into Mexico are going to be changed to northbound lanes. I think the recent change was made to facilitate that work. There is more work to be done on the new southbound lanes.

[Edited on 10-10-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 08:00 PM

So the same hard right and hard left? That's crazy... So, I wonder when the freeway will be moved, as they said they were? I...

Mexico moves a lot faster than USA. Mexico has forged on with their side of the reconstruction. Usa has not even funded the realignment of I5. The party in control of our government today is totally disf8nctional and unlikely to do much for the next 3 years,... so don’t look for any changes soon :(

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 10:54 AM

John....We crossed at San Ysidro at 6:30 on Friday afternoon....our first time crossing at rush hour since the "carmageddon" non event. We expected a large backup due to the reduction in the number of lanes and the long weekend (for some).....but were surprised that the traffic was flowing smoothly and the only slight traffic backup was once you made the sharp right turn.

The lane reduction is actually making it more organized, as they have blocked off the middle lane where cars from the 5 and 805 would have previously merged causing a cluster.

You can still get your FMM at the office on the right.

The next phase of the plan is to soften the hard right turn on the US side...but it will be several years until that project is completed. Currently they say it will be done by summer of 2019.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 11:25 AM

I was there sat morning...its the same

tourist visas are in the same spot but more organized

bank inside in the same spot

parking the same

so overall the same

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 11:33 AM

I normally use the Corredor 2000 to head to Ensenada.
You need to watch out for a couple of GOTCHAS...just after the first bridge, stay in the left lane. There is a large chunk of concrete missing and Mextrans filled in with dirt. It has been like that for several weeks.

At about KM 18+, there are three large dips on the left lane that are getting fairly deep now. When you hit the top of the dip you will get airborne. If you drive a little slow (50 MPH or less) you will be able to spot the large oil stain near the top of the three dips. It is better that you stay in the right lane until after the third dip. The dips are due to the cement road getting destroyed because of large overweight trucks.

So the same hard right and hard left? That's crazy... So, I wonder when the freeway will be moved, as they said they were? I was especially going that way this week just to see the hoopla. I might as well go to Otay and use the Corridor 2000!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 11:58 AM

im done with blvd 2000....Lazaro Card##as through the 5&10 to the one. ten miles shorter from Otay crossing to Popotla.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 01:34 PM

In english please, williard.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
In english please, williard.

lol...guess we can't say Lazaro C a r d e n a s here! its the road that Industrial turns into. it ultimately takes you right to the free road (one) where huge signs point to "AIRPORT"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 02:10 PM

Got it.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 02:26 PM

Why would anyone use Otay to get to Rosarito and Ensenada instead of San Ysidro and the toll road?

Once you cross the border at SY it is non-stop to the first toll booth.

Are the tolls too high?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Why would anyone use Otay to get to Rosarito and Ensenada instead of San Ysidro and the toll road?

Once you cross the border at SY it is non-stop to the first toll booth.

Are the tolls too high?

yup...we're a crazy bunch for sure! :lol:

plus the decapitation problem!

[Edited on 10-10-2017 by willardguy]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 03:12 PM

tolls Saturday were

to Ensenada in a car

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 03:15 PM

I removed the decapitation remark because on second thought I realized El Pozolero and the neck slicers worked often out there on the east side of TJ close to the Otay crossing. SY may be less deadly.

So youse guys like Otay cuz you're a bunch of locos?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
tolls Saturday were

to Ensenada in a car

So what do you save by taking blvd dos mil? 1.90 or 3.80?

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 04:27 PM

I think I read that the sharp 90* will be softened to 110*(?), but kept a permanent feature? Anyone know about that?

I don't care about the minimal tolls, my roommate's place is at K55, only two tolls. Easy peasy, cheap and cheesy.

John

[Edited on 10-10-2017 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 10:19 PM

Went through today, same sharp right and left as a few months ago. Drove over by the parking area near the big flag pole to visit INM for a new FMM (500 pesos). Walk into the building and on the other side is the INM desks. You take papers from there into the building to pay at bank in building then back out to INM desk for final stamp. Longer process than Mexicali where INM desk does it all. Merging back into traffic was easy and no red light for me. I am good for 180 days, again.

I visited 2 missions up close (Descanso and San Miguel) and was sad to find the first two Santo Tomas sites no longer accessable. Site 1 in the oak grove picnic area is fenced off as that nice area is now closed up. Site 2 is plowed over. More history we once could connect with is now gone. Site 3, next to the El Palomar campground is almost gone.

See Baja's missions before more vanish!

[Edited on 10-11-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 03:32 PM

I visited 2 missions up close (Descanso and San Miguel) and was sad to find the first two Santo Tomas sites no longer accessible. Site 1 in the oak grove picnic area is fenced off as that nice area is now closed up. Site 2 is plowed over. More history we once could connect with is now gone. Site 3, next to the El Palomar campground is almost gone.

See Baja's missions before more vanish!

David:

Did you happen to see just to the east of the El Descanso ruins the restoration work that is being done on the Casa Machado? This is the oldest adobe house is the northern part of Baja California dating from the 1840s. The work is being financed by the owners of the ranch with the greenhouses. Wallls and roof are done. There are plans to turn it into a museum

An INAH advisor from Rosarito is being used, but the ranch owners do not want to cede the land to INAH, so no money from Mexico City can be used. Right now restoration work has stopped, although there is only tar paper on the roof. The final wooden shingles (tejamanil) are missing. Also the flooring is not done. All work is as authentic as possible. However, there will be electricity.

I know the owners. Message me through Baja Nomad if you want more information.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.