Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cell Phones in Mexico
tmtuttle
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 07:35 AM
Cell Phones in Mexico

I'll be leaving Idaho (USA) in a few weeks for two to three months in Baja. I spent a month in the Todos Santos area last year and just paid for the international plan from our US carrier (Verizon) but my wife told me it was pretty expensive so we're looking for other options.

One of the locals told us it might be cheaper to buy a phone once in Todos Santos and then just add minutes as I need them. Anyone else do this? Best plans and rates?

Thanks,

Tim

[Edited on 10-12-2017 by tmtuttle]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 08:39 AM

If you're going to Todos Santos again, I can tell you that both Telcel and Movistar have service there, with Telcel having better coverage - at least when I was last there in January. Before switching to Google's ProjectFi network, which has fairly seamless coverage in Mexico, I bought a Telcel SIM card for my unlocked HTC One phone and it worked well. I'm not sure that's an option for you and your phone, so a cheap phone with a pay-as-you-go plan might suit your needs best.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 08:45 AM

Not sure which plan you have with Verizon but you may want to give them a call and see what they have to offer, if you haven't done so already.

I have AT&T and with my unlimited plan all I had to do is add Mexico at NO COST.

Just returned from Panama and they have a $10 a day to have my same service in any international country. You get charged only for the days you use .
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 09:57 AM

I used to have a separate phone with an Amigo Plan with Telcel that I just charged with prepaid minutes when my NOB provider was Verizon. I have since switched to AT&T and have full access in Mexico and Canada. (Canada was included free of charge but I learned after the fact I needed to notify them I would be in Canada, not an issue with Mexico). Now when in La Paz my phone shows AT&T Mx as the provider and my coverage has been every bit as good as Telcel. Probably same towers. And I don't have to carry 2 phones anymore

In Memory of E-57
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Now when in La Paz my phone shows AT&T Mx as the provider and my coverage has been every bit as good as Telcel. Probably same towers. And I don't have to carry 2 phones anymore

I'm with Alan. AT&T is great for calling from MX to the US, US to MX, and within MX. Don't know what MX plan a friend (Canadian) had last year but he had problems reaching me on my AT&T phone (with his MX phone).

So, for those in Baja with a MX phone, I"ll have a Telcel phone this year, again.

AT&T plan (for me) is unlimited in US, MX and Canada, including texting.

A MX phone with MX coverage might cost for long distance to the US.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 11:50 AM

Verizon has a Mexico plan . $5 a day if you use it. I was in Central mexico last year, worked great. been to baja 4 times this year. Where there is service it works fine.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 11:55 AM

Yeah on the AT&T phone. I have great service everywhere on an unlimited plan, and with a Microsoft phone that has internet sharing with unlimited data plan that cost $30 to add, so I have a wifi hotspot anywhere, except maybe a few remote places.

Definitely look into AT&T. Seems like most people I know with local phones or other carriers using their phones in MX always have problems. Maybe get a MX AT&T phone and add time (I think you can pay for unlimited service for a week or month at a time) and keep it for future trips and add time once you are back down.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
Verizon has a Mexico plan . $5 a day if you use it. I was in Central mexico last year, worked great. been to baja 4 times this year. Where there is service it works fine.

$5/day is super expensive compared to buying a cheapo Mex. cellphone and getting the Telcel Sin Limites pay-as-you-go package. 100 pesos gives you 21 days of unlimited texting and calling anywhere in Mexico, US and Canada. Plus 300mb of data and 1000mb whatsapp, facebook and twitter.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 06:56 PM

ATT

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
If you're going to Todos Santos again, I can tell you that both Telcel and Movistar have service there, with Telcel having better coverage - at least when I was last there in January. Before switching to Google's ProjectFi network, which has fairly seamless coverage in Mexico, I bought a Telcel SIM card for my unlocked HTC One phone and it worked well. I'm not sure that's an option for you and your phone, so a cheap phone with a pay-as-you-go plan might suit your needs best.

I was not familiar with Projectfi before seeing your post. After reading a bit about it the only question I have is 'why doesn't everybody use it?'. Is there a downside?
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 02:09 PM

T-Moble has an unlimited every thing plan for both Canada and Mexico which has no extra charges. The cool thing is that they just added a 55+ plan that is $60 per month for 2 phones.

The problem with Projectfi is that it requires a Google phone to use it. Does not work on any other companies cell phone.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wiltonh  
T-Moble has an unlimited every thing plan for both Canada and Mexico which has no extra charges. The cool thing is that they just added a 55+ plan that is $60 per month for 2 phones.

The problem with Projectfi is that it requires a Google phone to use it. Does not work on any other companies cell phone.

At $30/month per phone that is still over 4 times more expensive than the Sin Limites package I posted above.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 03:15 PM
Cell Data

Almost no mention here re cellular data service and rates.

I'm currently on T-Mo Simple Choice North America plan (no longer offered) with 10gb LTE data monthly. However, beginning Nov 12th, 2017 that will be reduced to up to 5GB of 4G LTE data in Mexico and Canada. After that 5GB of usage, customers will have unlimited data at 128Kbps.:(

https://www.tmonews.com/2017/10/t-mobile-mobile-without-bord...

I'm looking for at least 10gb of 3G data service in Baja for a reasonable price. Any recommendations?

"I'm too young to be this old!"
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

At $30/month per phone that is still over 4 times more expensive than the Sin Limites package I posted above.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 03:49 PM

I have used the Sin Limites package in the past. It is a good plan but it shuts off after about 30 days when you come back to the states. It also has very limited data. If all the internet you use is whatsapp, facebook and twitter it is a good deal. If you use Netflix or one of the other video services it does not do well at all. I use a little less than 2GB of data per month not counting video streaming. I do that on WiFi so who knows how many Gigs I use.

If you have an unlocked phone, and want the cheapest plan for a little email, talk and text then Sin Limites is a very good way to go. You do have to go to a Telcel store and get a Sim. Make sure it works on data before you leave the store. I know a number of people who had to make a second trip just because they did not check to see that the data worked. My friend went through 3 sim cards before he got one that fully worked on an iPhone 6S.

The T-Mobile plan requires no extra changes. When you cross the border, you get a text saying that your phone works in Mexico exactly like it does in the US. It runs on the Telcel network so you get the best coverage. I have another sim that works on MovieStar and it works well in big cities but not at all on the beach where we usually camp. At $30 a month per line, it is a screaming deal, if you compare it to Verizon or AT&T for an unlimited plan that runs in the US as well as Mexico and Canada.

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 04:58 PM

I fish in Mexico semi-often and my T-Mobile phone sends me a text that essentially says you are now in mexico....have a good time!

[Edited on 10-13-2017 by 55steve]
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 06:07 PM

It looks like T-Mobile just changed their plans to limit LTE Data to 5GB in Mexico and Canada. You then slow down to 128K or 256K depending on the plan that you have.

I wondered when they would find that this plan was too good to be true.

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by wiltonh]

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by wiltonh]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 06:49 PM

Here's a 2 page Bajanomad thread from last year about the same topic.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82086

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 06:51 PM

there are very few barriers between the US and Mexico for data and voice. It's normally best to stay with your courier, add a Mexico plan and understand your usage.

Setup alerts for your data usage, use wifi whenever possible.

!!! disable data networking when you do not need it !!! Ask your courier how to toggle data on and off if you are not sure how.

Smartphones are great at wasting your data limit downloading adn uploading crap unnecessarily
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 07:19 PM

It looks like T-Mobile just changed their plans to limit LTE Data to 5GB in Mexico and Canada. You then slow down to 128K or 256K depending on the plan that you have.

I wondered when they would find that this plan was too good to be true.

Published today:

"T-Mobile Limiting High-Speed Data in Canada, Mexico to 5GB"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/356769/t-mobile-limiting-high-spe...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.