Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cooper or Hankook
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 04:03 PM
Cooper or Hankook

These ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Discoverer-A-T3-116T-Tire-...

or these ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/265-70-18-HANKOOK-DYNAPRO-A-T-RF1...

Mostly highway - US and Baja
Occasional moderate off roading
Some highway snow

Going on a Tundra
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 06:25 PM

Have been using tirebuyer.com for sometime now.,, get senior discount and they have a great selection.
Michelin and others at what I think are good prices..

order them and the installer I pick usually has them by the next day.

several friends have been using them also and so far we are all satisfied...

good luck...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 07:10 PM

Cooper tires are great. I'd go for them.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 08:52 PM

I can only talk about the Hankooks. I've had them on 3 vehicles so far. 2 two wheel drive work trucks and my lifted 99 Grand Cherokee that is my present Baja vehicle. I have nothing bad to say at all. Over 50k on each of the work trucks. Smooth, quiet and stable at highway speeds. Very little edge cupping even at the end of their lives.

My Jeep has made 4 SLC to Cabo round trips. Cocos corner, south of San Felipe and the los barriles, la Ribera beach road regularly and they still look new. No pot hole, rock or cactus flats yet - I did manage to find a screw near my house but that was easily fixed.

They are the least expensive a/t tire out there and even if I wasnt a cheap arse I'd buy them again.

Andy
Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 08:34 AM

I have had very good luck with Hankook tires on all my vehicles. Coopers are good as well, I don't think you could go wrong with either. My tire dealer who supplies both recommended Hankook based on my driving to Cabo every year.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 08:41 AM

You can´t go wrong with either one.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 09:23 AM

You mentioned occasional snow use. For me, I spend more time in winter conditions than in Baja. I have Hankook winter pikes on one of my Kias, and I feel that the rubber compound that gives them such outstanding durability, does not perform as well on wet or icy roads as the Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac that I have on an Identical vehicle. The Wranglers do wear faster though!

My Hankooks are ten years old, so the ones you are looking at may be a better blend, and I would sure be looking at them for my next new shoes! I have not run Coopers yet, but I am looking at them and Falken tires as well.

Edit; the tires are ten years old, but have less than 20k use, so still have excellent tread!

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 09:32 AM

Old Smokey wears Hankooks..Excellent tires,,,

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2017 at 10:50 AM

I had a set of Coopers on my Ford Ranger, Now I have a set of Hankooks. Both tires are great, the Hankooks are 70K rated IIRC. Find a "buy two, get two" deal at Evans Tire.

John
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 09:03 AM

hola,

where are each made ? U.S. or...?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
hola,

where are each made ? U.S. or...?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Hankook is a South Korean company that also has a plant in Tennessee.

Cooper is based in Ohio.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 10:33 AM

Hankook DynaPro ATM... second time using them. Great manners and terrific in sand, as well as mud and snow... and quiet on the highway.

I have also had Cooper tires in the past. I liked the Cooper Discoverer ATR all terrains, but not the mud STT tires I ran. I also liked Toyo Open Country ATs for my Tacoma... 265/75-16.

Hankook Dynapros are a great tread pattern for Baja... but they are not bulletproof. I have used them so long and driven so many miles in Baja, I have gotten some flats with them. I was able to plug the leak each time and when I got home, Discount Tires (where I bought them) would replace them with a new tire... I only had to buy a new warranty (~$25).

They recently made a small change in the tread/sidewall... maybe it has to do with that Nissan is using this tire as standard on their off-road edition trucks and SUVs?

OLD STYLE:

NEW STYLE:

I cannot feel or tell any difference... but a few over on Tacoma World are really upset at the new look!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 01:55 PM

Here's a $100 off coupon good until Halloween at Discount tires for $400+ purchases: http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Tire-Direct?rmvSB=true

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.