BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Currently shopping areas, planning to move to Baja, looking for feedback/input
NickRod

Mood: Work less, play more

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 12:48 AM
Currently shopping areas, planning to move to Baja, looking for feedback/input

Been browsing the forum, went ahead and registered today...

So the wife and I are strongly considering a move to Baja within the next couple of years. We are currently shopping areas, trying to do lots of research and starting to plan some trips to spend some more time in these potential areas. We appreciate any and all feedback and please mention any other locations you think may be a good fit!

What's important to us:
Beach view and nice beaches close by
good fishing most of year from panga
good/honest marine mechanic in area:biggrin:
Internet access
Decent cellphone coverage
gated community a plus, but not an absolute necessity
safe area/ lowish theft
mosquitos/no see ums not too bad, they have an affinity for the wife...
Budget is around $200-300k
Ideally looking for a small, Single family home built within the last 10-15yrs
May consider a condo but the big snafu is we need a place to keep the boat.
Good healthcare within 60ish minutes
Area not prone to flooding/not too close to an arroyo
relatively low cost of living (not too close to tourist trap areas)
2-3hrs max from an international airport

Current frontrunner areas:
La Paz
La Ventana
Possibly Loreto
Possibly Los Barriles
Possibly Cabo corridor (seems like food costs etc inflated due to tourism though)

Thanks, give us your thoughts!

Cheers,
Nick and Vee

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by NickRod]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 03:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by NickRod  
Been browsing the forum, went ahead and registered today... trying to do lots of research and starting to plan some trips to spend some more time in these potential areas.

La Paz
La Ventana
Possibly Loreto
Possibly Los Barriles
Possibly Cabo corridor (seems like food costs etc inflated due to tourism though)

Cheers,
Nick and Vee

Have you been to your frontrunner areas? You've written you want to spend ''more time'' in these areas. From your list of important things, doesn't sound like you have.

Try Todos, keep the boat in LP.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
NickRod

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 07:14 AM

Lee, thanks for the reply. I see you're in Clemente, use to keep my boat @ Dana, love that area man.

As far as Baja, we've only spent time in San Jose and Cabo areas so far. Planning a trip to LP & La Ventana in December to start feeling it out. Todos does look very appealing aside from the boating limitation. As much as I like to fish, having an hour drive each way to LP seems like a deal breaker for me. On top of that, I would also have to pay for storage...

We are looking pretty closely at La Ventana area, wondering what on our list you think would not jive there? One of our big concerns is we are wondering how bad the mosquitos/no see ums are going to be. The wife welts up bad from bites and appearantly she tastes good haha.
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 07:52 AM

There may be fewer mosquitos in la Ventana because the wind blows there a lot. It is one of the best windsurfing places around. The wind might keep you off the water though. Look at La Paz, five marinas, great beaches, and meets most of the rest of your requirements. But remember, when living in Mexico..........things change!!!!!

Another thought, come on down and rent where you think you might want to end up. It will give you a much clearer picture of if it is a good fit or not!!!

Happy Trails

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by Sandlefoot]

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 07:56 AM

Welcome NickRod - are you planning to live year round in Baja Sur, La Ventana specifically? If so, you need to spend time there in the summer as well as in December. Many people leave in the summer because of the heat and humidity. That's why we chose to live on the Pacific side.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 08:06 AM

I am sure you have read it here but I will put it out there again, rent rent rent and do not fall into the trap of finding the perfect house and buying before having spent plenty of time to make friends and make sure you mesh into the community!

I personally think this is one of the most exciting times in Life - exploring - the possibilities endless.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 10:33 AM

IMHO security should be a prime consideration. Mexico is FULL of thieves and an empty, unguarded house is easy pickings. I would look for a house in a 24/7 gated, guarded housing development with a garage to keep your car in.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalinda  
Welcome NickRod - are you planning to live year round in Baja Sur, La Ventana specifically? If so, you need to spend time there in the summer as well as in December. Many people leave in the summer because of the heat and humidity. That's why we chose to live on the Pacific side.

im with Linda.....consider the left side!:yes:
NickRod

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalinda  

Yes, we are planning on living year round. Extrapolating from our list of what's important can you guys make some more suggestions on Pacific coast towns we should look into? And we are definitly open to the idea of renting for a bit before plunking down on a place. Thanks again, such a wealth of knowledge here on the forums.
NickRod

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

IMHO security should be a prime consideration. Mexico is FULL of thieves and an empty, unguarded house is easy pickings. I would look for a house in a 24/7 gated, guarded housing development with a garage to keep your car in.

Agreed, if we are in a big city like LP we definitly want to be in a gated/guarded community. From what I'm reading about La Ventana is that it's such a small, tight knit community that theft and crime are almost non existant. Do you guys feel this is accurate? There we are more inclined to look beyond a gated community. I don't think La Ventana even has any gated communities at this point.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 12:24 PM

$200 to $300 K would buy you a very nice house in Puerto Escondido, and Cibola Del Mar. Both near Ensenada.
Puerto Escondido is the hill above the Blow hole (Punta Banda area.

Cibola Del Mar, are the large houses that sit just south of the Southern-most part of the Ensenada just below the toll gate.

You need to spend some time here to find what you like, and perhaps rent.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 12:35 PM

Extrapolating from our list of what's important can you guys make some more suggestions on Pacific coast towns we should look into? And we are definitly open to the idea of renting for a bit before plunking down on a place. Thanks again, such a wealth of knowledge here on the forums.

The only towns on the Pacific coast within three hours of an international airport and full range medical care within an hour are Tijuana, Ensenada, and Todos Santos.

Punta Banda just south of Ensenada is a nice spot and it has comfortable weather all year, just like coastal San Diego. You would use the Tijuana or San Diego airport.

Further south sounds like Todos Santos is your spot. It's busy during the winter but a really pretty area. Hot in the summer. Perfect weather in the winter.

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by SFandH]

[Edited on 10-14-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2017 at 12:38 PM

What's important to us:
Beach view and nice beaches close by
good fishing most of year from panga
good/honest marine mechanic in area:biggrin:
Internet access
Decent cellphone coverage
gated community a plus, but not an absolute necessity
safe area/ lowish theft
mosquitos/no see ums not too bad, they have an affinity for the wife...
Budget is around $200-300k
Ideally looking for a small, Single family home built within the last 10-15yrs
May consider a condo but the big snafu is we need a place to keep the boat.
Good healthcare within 60ish minutes
Area not prone to flooding/not too close to an arroyo
relatively low cost of living (not too close to tourist trap areas)
2-3hrs max from an international airport

La Paz
La Ventana
Possibly Loreto
Possibly Los Barriles

Cheers,
Nick and Vee

Try this: take your list above and prioritize it. Looks like boat, gated community, amenities, etc.

Sounds like Cabo/San Jose area to me.

I like the Pacific side because it's 10 deg cooler and there's a breeze. Plus I need waves which is top priority for me.

If you need to be close to your boat, check out marinas and work backward?

Suerte.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 12:54 PM

I agree with Lee - prioritize your list. I can think of several nice towns on the Pacific side where you could find something in your budget and have a place for your boat, but they don't meet your airport or medical facilities requirements. It also kind of sounds like you're looking for something in a larger town or city, no? Me thinks you're going to have to make some trade-offs. Hard to find all your requirements in one place.

Cabo/San Jose will be more touristy for sure and probably more expensive.

La Paz is much less touristy, but hot and humid in the summer like La Ventana and there will be mosquitos.

We live about one hour outside of La Paz on the Pacific side and love it. It's a small rural development and we don't mind driving to La Paz for errands, banking, doctors, etc.

Good luck in your search!

[Edited on 10-16-2017 by bajalinda]

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 07:44 PM

You've been only to Los Cabos area and you're already deciding to move full time? You should most definitely make several trips before committing in my opinion.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
NickRod

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 05:31 AM

Just wanted to post an update to this thread and thank you guys for the info/guidance. We found a beautiful property just outside San Jose in Laguna Hills, got all the boxes checked but did have to up the budget a bit. Anyhow, we couldn't be happier. Cheers and thank you!

[Edited on 6-7-2018 by NickRod]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 07:26 AM

Wow! What a beautiful home. Congrats on your grand find!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 08:43 PM

Looks like Paradise from here. Report back about your successes. Be safe down there. The hills have eyes.

F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.