BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: My Toyota Tacoma finally had a problem in Baja! UPDATE: Repair photos added.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 04:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
Brakes??? We don need no stinkin' brakes!!! Not sure if they are still the same but I have used a drywall nail between the wheel cylinder and the flare nut. The cupped head on the drywall nail will make a perfect seal. Used to anyway. I know you can't file your points with a match book anymore.

What a great trail fix idea with the screw. New one for me. The matchbook idea was still being used in the 80's when I was in high school.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Ever try to ride a dirt bike down a hill climb with only rear brake. It hurts.

Yes....and with a front flat.....the fall didn't hurt.....it was the landing:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Yes....and with a front flat.....the fall didn't hurt.....it was the landing:biggrin:

That all sounds dangerous! Why don't you guys stay safely in front of a keyboard like the rest of us?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 10:31 AM
Jason to the rescue!

Here are photos (from my phone) taken of the problem and repair, Tuesday from 4 pm to 7:30 pm...

Jason has the first look and sees something looks very wrong!

This part with the two round rivets is crooked and loose! The right side spring attachment point is out and the left is in (as it should be).

Jason's right hand is holding the loose part. It is what holds the brake shoes in place.

This is the right side (illuminated well by the sun) and how it should look and solidly attached to the back plate.

The bad side, notice that part hanging there at a bad angle.

There is a lot of hammering to get the angle back as close to where it was, then out comes the MIG welder!...

New shoes and new cylinders installed to both sides then a lot of adjusting.

I drive home, brakes no longer making noise or grabbing when I leave a stop sign! The emergency brake does not work with this emergency fix because the angle of the part is not perfect for the shoes to make contact using it. The shoes are adjusted out to the max and still get the drum on the wheel. Nothing more could be done last night. The truck brakes fine with the foot brake.

A perfect repair will need a new half axle since the part (welded back on) is factory attached to the back plate with those two rivets. The back plate is attached to the half-axle. Anyone with a Second Generation Tacoma left side half axle they don't need??? ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

. Anyone with a Second Generation Tacoma left side half axle they don't need??? ;)

I think have both from an 08 FJ I believe to be the same as the Tacoma axles. Check on that and I'll see if I do have them.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

That all sounds dangerous! Why don't you guys stay safely in front of a keyboard like the rest of us?

Well, you and Bailey kept up with two dirtbikers riding 3 days from Mulege-San Juanico-Comondu- San Isidro-Mulege while driving your Tracker....who was taking risks then? Huh? :biggrin::cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

. Anyone with a Second Generation Tacoma left side half axle they don't need??? ;)

I think have both from an 08 FJ I believe to be the same as the Tacoma axles. Check on that and I'll see if I do have them.

Thank you for that offer... I am in San Diego County so shipping it may be the only issue if it does match? No rush, but nice to know if a local source is not available. Again, thank you!
PS Does not the FJ have disc brakes in back?

[Edited on 10-18-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Thank you for that offer... I am in San Diego County so shipping it may be the only issue if it does match? No rush, but nice to know if a local source is not available. Again, thank you!
PS Does not the FJ have disc brakes in back?

[Edited on 10-18-2017 by David K]

I am sure you could find part at the junk yards in Otay Mesa

Isn't there a junk yard in north county too?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-18-2017 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

To drink beer watch football or golf or sit at key broad on a nice Sunday a crime very boring.:)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 05:28 PM

Sadly, the emergency repair failed and I had brake fluid draining out once again. The new brake shoes must have slipped off the damaged, but welded back on mount part. Jason says any irregularity causes the cylinder seal to fail and dump out fluid.

I was referred by a friend to an Oceanside repair shop with a good reputation and 5-star reviews, so Monday, a new Toyota half axle, "good" bearings, and install is scheduled. UGH $$$! Jason is on vacation, otherwise, he would help. The guy at this shop would not let me get an axle from a junkyard, so this work will be all guaranteed.

Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 06:32 PM

That’s the problem with driving a Toyota David, so few of them wind up in the wrecking yard used parts are hard to find. The line plugging thing has to a be a drywall “nail” not a screw. When in Baja it is much safer to drive a Ford like I do since they have a high infant mortality rate and parts are scattered the whole length of the peninsula.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 05:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
That’s the problem with driving a Toyota David, so few of them wind up in the wrecking yard used parts are hard to find. The line plugging thing has to a be a drywall “nail” not a screw. When in Baja it is much safer to drive a Ford like I do since they have a high infant mortality rate and parts are scattered the whole length of the peninsula.

Haha. That's funny. Parts scattered the length of the peninsula.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 08:37 AM

Good point. Actually, Tacomas are quite popular in Baja and made in Baja. So, due to accidents they may be found in junk yards? I needed to get back to where I live, in this case. Larry said he has a ace mechanic in San Vicente who can fix anything.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 05:45 PM

My Ace mechanic helped big time with a Toyota. Friends parked all there rigs in my compound. Took off for four days on 6 side by sides came back 8 at night. Lead .Toyota blocking all 4 rigs driver lost keys. My guy came over second key he had fit off they went.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 05:15 AM

Don't be deceived about finding junk yard parts for any Toyota in Baja. The pickings are very slim and the fix would still be temporary.

David,Yes, the first mechanic made a fix that was improper and new/replacement stuff is the way to go. Welding is a temporary fix and definitely not the way to go. Your second mechanic did the correct fix.

A couple of things to do after the last fix.
Drive a few miles and then take the thing to an alignment shop and have the rear axle checked.
Then have the good mechanic take the drum off and make sure all is well. You can do it your self, but I don't know what to tell you to look for?
Please do this before your next adventure down south.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 05:29 AM

Glad it'll be fixed soon otherwise we'd have to start a new thread "Looking for David" in Baja :-) and since we don't have all the mapping s/w, etc. it might take us a while to find you :-)
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 05:46 AM

I can find anybody in Baja. Just use your Inreach (SPOT would work as well) to give me the coordinates. All the it takes is driving time to get to where help is needed.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 09:00 AM

Thank you guys!

The Garmin DeLorme inReach is with me and tracking is turned on when I am in Baja, at least when I am beginning a new section of travel. I can email or text to anyone. People who have my inReach link can see where I am and where I have been with the track line... just like you saw in my Trip Report maps from the inReach.
I have about half a dozen Nomads who follow me on my trips, as well as my wife, so it is comforting to know I am not really alone out there in the "never-never".

When the brake first failed and seemed to lock up, preventing me from driving, I thought of my options. I was only 3.7 miles from El Coyote so well within walking distance. I sent an email to Larry 'bajatrailrider' who just happened to be riding towards El Coyote with his friends. He told me they have wifi there and he would check his email. I also emailed Rancho El Coyote about where I was and to ask Michael (who lives there) and Larry to contact me.

As it turned out, after about 30 minutes I tried driving again and the brake was not sticking as bad, so I got back to the ranch.

The road to Mike's Sky Rancho from the south is really trashed from the rains of last winter... deep gullies! I was told I hadn't even seen the 'bad part' yet. Michael Diogo (the solar power expert who lives at El Coyote and is a rider) told me he didn't think I could get through to Mike's in my (near-stock) truck.

Nobody maintains the roads up there anymore. Mike Leon Sr. used to (good for business, after all). Another man began to take his dozer in there and he suffered a massive heart attack and died. Mike's to Meling may only be for experienced bike riders and maybe extreme, short wheelbase 4x4s?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 11:25 AM

Sadly, the emergency repair failed and I had brake fluid draining out once again. The new brake shoes must have slipped off the damaged, but welded back on mount part. Jason says any irregularity causes the cylinder seal to fail and dump out fluid.

I was referred by a friend to an Oceanside repair shop with a good reputation and 5-star reviews, so Monday, a new Toyota half axle, "good" bearings, and install is scheduled. UGH $$$! Jason is on vacation, otherwise, he would help. The guy at this shop would not let me get an axle from a junkyard, so this work will be all guaranteed.

Update: The weld repair by Jason was good! A tube connection came loose is all and why fluid leaked. No new axle needed! Sure nice to have another honest mechanic here in North County San Diego.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 11:31 AM

Glad you are back on the road.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.