BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: My Toyota Tacoma finally had a problem in Baja! UPDATE: Repair photos added.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 11:36 AM

Well, no I am sitting in the waiting room at Victor's shop. I just wanted to update the post.

EDIT: All good, at home now, back to writing! Thanks, Ed!!

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 12:58 PM

The new Tacoma's are nice - maybe some late deals on a 2017
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
The new Tacoma's are nice - maybe some late deals on a 2017

Yes, and my wife wants me to trade it in. I am reluctant... at 109,000 miles it is just a youngster and without any early lemon-issues a few of the new 3rd Gen Tacomas have experienced, I want to hang on to my 2010 a bit longer if not for the rest of my life!

To correct some misinformation posted further above: The truck did not break down but did need an emergency brake fix. Because I travel alone, it is simply wise to let friends know the situation. I do monitor others who send me their inReach or Spot alerts. Right now, a Baja Nomad friend is down there now and I am monitoring and conversing with him daily.

The (first) mechanic I took it to is factory trained, well known in the Toyota owners world down here in SoCal, and did a great weld job. That was confirmed today by another mechanic (why did you not read any of this part?). Only a tube was loose. Until it was inspected, we did not know why fluid leaked again, as it did in Baja at El Coyote.

Finally, I post here what goes on with my truck so that others who might have the same happen someday will know better what was the cause or how to fix it. Small vise grips and some rubber strips are a new addition to the few tools I have (I simply have not needed more because this truck is so reliable).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 02:37 PM

Chuckie just wants to complain because he can't take that whale of a Ford he drives to places you go David. It's his form of politically correctness. If he can't go then nobody should.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well, no I am sitting in the waiting room at Victor's shop.

I can't help but visualize you pacing anxiously in the waiting room, waiting for news about your loved one!

Edit; I have a small fleet of Kia's, and all of them are potential organ donors for one of the others!

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 03:00 PM

Chuckie drives a Dodge....It is still a whine fest...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well, no I am sitting in the waiting room at Victor's shop.

I can't help but visualize you pacing anxiously in the waiting room, waiting for news about your loved one!

Edit; I have a small fleet of Kia's, and all of them are potential organ donors for one of the others!

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by AKgringo]

LOL... like an expectant father? That does visualize funny!
No, maybe because I have aged, but I was just sitting still and reading or posting on Nomad and Tacoma World or just mentally planning my next Baja trip!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
The breakdown of this truck is NOT the second coming of Christ! It is a case of making a rather simple problem, which many of us have had into another big event. A poorly equipped driver, without basic tools or mechanical knowledge has to call for help rather than just getting to a shop. Then he takes it to an inept mechanic who makes it worse. Now we are going to be subjected to a blow by blow report of another overpriced nature. Then I see advice that tells us that welds don't last etc. DUH most of our trucks are mostly welded construction....My land, what a sob story...Stay home DK....and get a job...

Excellent point. many people have had to repair their vehicles (including Toyotas) without any fanfare. I usually skip over the DK posts but thught maybe there was a major issue here. I was disappointed again.

[Edited on 10-24-2017 by rts551]
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 07:52 AM

Thanks DK, for all of us who drive in Baja, always helps to have information shared. Never no when this info will come in handy!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
Thanks DK, for all of us who drive in Baja, always helps to have information shared. Never no when this info will come in handy!

That's my thinking: info and details are important or interesting to most. I sure appreciate others who share their trip details. Nobody has to read anything here and the attempts to shame Nomads to not post are very sad and somewhat Stalinist, in my opinion. If you are not happy them stop trying to make others unhappy.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 08:48 AM

Hahaha...Just because someone finds a post unexciting does not mean they are unhappy. Most seasoned baja travelers, as has been pointed out, know about the use of vice grips.

DOn't worry , David, I have been trying to stay away from your posts...I just thought that maybe every once in a while (especially with a titles like that) there might be a gem out there.

[Edited on 10-24-2017 by rts551]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 08:50 AM

im tickled davids car is up and running :coolup: dilly dilly!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 02:39 PM

YES! Thanks DK!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.