Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pet requirments
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 06:43 AM
Pet requirments

Spoke with the vet and mentioned health cert. where can I get the rules? He would like to read them Re. Parasites
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 08:36 AM

I don't know which government contact you would need, but you might get the information from one of the airlines that fly into Mexico.

On the last health certificate I got, I asked the vet to note that I have my dog on Sentinel, and have a current prescription with me when I cross. I have not been asked for it yet, but it could happen.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 08:59 AM

Here's some official info from the USDA. Hope this helps!

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettr...

The 10 day rule for paperwork is the most ridiculous part.

Of course enforcement is spotty, so you'll hear stories like: "we never have a problem and cross all the time" from most, and the occasional inspection and enforcement measure situation.

[Edited on 10-19-2017 by stiladam]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 09:02 AM

The only consistent in Mexico is that nothing is consistent

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  

Of course enforcement is spotty, so you'll hear stories like: "we never have a problem and cross all the time" from most, and the occasional inspection and enforcement measure situation.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 09:05 AM

Our vet's have always had a standard form that they fill out with a record of vaccinations,, Rabies etc... usually about 10 days before we cross the border.
Only have been checked once and they only wanted to know if the rabies vac. was current.. saw the date and let us go...
don't know if you are flying what they look at...
same think I would surmise...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 09:42 AM

I was asked for proof of vaccinations by US border agents on my last trip, when re-entering at Tecate. They did not care about the health certificate.

I have not yet been asked for any documents by Mexican authorities.

I am sure that air travel would be different, but have not done that going to Baja.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 11:44 AM

Your vet can call your regional USDA office and they will give him/her all relevant information. At the same website stiladam so helpfully listed (https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettr...), go to the bottom right and select your state, which will give you contact info.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 11:57 AM

Toranja, thanks for the link! The ten day requirement is disappointing. I was hoping to use the certificate from my AK veterinarian, which is good for thirty days.

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 03:31 PM

Interestingly enough, the SENASICA/SAGARPA page (Mexican version of the USDA) now says 15 days (as of Nov. 2016). Hadn't noticed that before, and I'm not sure why the USDA page hasn't been updated.

https://www.gob.mx/senasica/acciones-y-programas/si-viajas-c...

(translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&...)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 04:03 PM

Another thank you is in order. After reading the translated version, it appears that this is aimed at pets entering in a kennel, presumably on public transportation. My dog's bed in the back of my Kia sure wouldn't meet their kennel requirements!

The time frame is also more in line with airline requirements. I think I will roll the dice and show up at the border with my most recent certificate before the thirty days is up. If I get checked and turned back, I will report here as soon as I can.

stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 08:06 AM

Thanks for this toranja. I was wondering about the MX equivalent referencing info ;D

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Interestingly enough, the SENASICA/SAGARPA page (Mexican version of the USDA) now says 15 days (as of Nov. 2016). Hadn't noticed that before, and I'm not sure why the USDA page hasn't been updated.

https://www.gob.mx/senasica/acciones-y-programas/si-viajas-c...

(translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&...)
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 08:40 AM

We had not flown in years and had a obtained CFIA certificate, too, at great time & expense, just in case.

In November 2016, at the San Jose del Cabo airport, there was a table set up just before luggage screening. Tip: the dogs drop down the same chute as the golf clubs, so if your dog travelled in the baggage hold, you might want to get to the slanted chute opening right away to prevent a mild crash landing! We were directed to the table by a man who reviewed the documents and looked at us as though we were somewhat naive. He said we could save our money next time, because the CFIA certificate is not needed. We were on our way to the screening area quickly.

For Canadians, here is more information and a link to the required documentation. Your vet may already have an electronic form on letterhead that they use...just call ahead.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/expo...

We're driving down through Tecate to the East Cape next week and I will send an crossing update and a road report.

Happy trails,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.