Author: Subject: MANEADERO....BEWARE
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 01:01 PM
MANEADERO....BEWARE

hOLA, **** BEWARE ****

POSTED TODAY ON BAJAPONYEXPRESS **** MANEADERO ****

JUST FORWARDING INFORMATION....BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Police Scam Alert in Maneadero. It goes like this. The official police vehicle puts on the lights and pulls you over. After you pull off the road that vehicle leaves and two fake cops come up to your vehicle. (We didn’t figure right away that they were fake cops) One was on a quad and one on a dirt bike. One was wearing a bavaclava (covers up the face) and both are wearing motorcycle helmets. So you can’t see their hair or face. Just their eyes. They told us that we ran a red light. (Which we absolutely did not). Using a translator app on their phone they show you it in English. We argued with them that we did not run the light. And asked to go to the police station. They said it was 22 kilometers away. We kept telling them this is total BS. We did not run the red light. They took our license and registration and finally said for us to follow them back to the officer that says we ran the light. We drive back a few blocks and that police vehicle is there. He tells my husband that we ran a red light. Hubs says there is no way we ran it. Then the cop changes his story to say it was yellow when we went thru. Finally the fake cops say for us to drive a head. We end up at a building about 1/2 mile or so away. My husband goes in there with these guys and I sit in the car. He’s in the for quite awhile arguing with them. He asked them why they didn’t have badges and said he was going to report them etc. They are talking on two way radios to the original cop I think. They are saying we owe them 2,500 pesos for the tickets etc etc. They finally get so mad at my husband that they tell him they are going to lock up our truck and take the keys. He comes out of there with them pretty shook up. Tells me to go in the trailer and get the 2,500 pesos now. One of the cops motions to me for the keys and I told him no freaking way. I take all the keys with me to the trailer. Get the pesos. Give them to my husband who then goes back in to pay them. Then I think to take a picture of the stinking building which I will post below So I get out of the truck and take one picture. Get back in the truck and decide to take one more. So I get out again and take another picture. Right after that they suddenly tell my husband to just go. They hand him back the drivers license and registration and said take the money and go. All the while they are talking to someone on the two way radios which we assume is real cop. They didn’t take any of the money. Soooooooo folks. My conclusion is. Start taking pictures right away. There is no way they can stop you from doing that. If we had we might not have been harassed as much. I think they saw a new truck and camp trailer and saw dollar signs. Most people probably just pay them on the side of the road and go on their way. In the meantime as we are leaving we see the cop car pulling over someone else. Just be aware.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 01:11 PM

Bum deal!
I went through Maneadero twice in the past 10 days... in the afternoon on Tuesday and around midday Sunday... NO problems. Traffic is so heavy, it would be hard to pick you out as doing something different as the other cars alongside you.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 01:15 PM

This has been beat to death on the Punta Banda facebook page
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 01:36 PM

The 'let's go to the station' tactic may work for the seasoned Baja traveler, but for the casual, inexperienced visitor, a verbal
confrontation with fake or real cops can be unnerving, with the
threat of vehicle impoundment, etc., so they rule thru intimidation. One has to be quite confident, equipped with
enough Spanish to fend off these thiefs

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
The 'let's go to the station' tactic may work for the seasoned Baja traveler, but for the casual, inexperienced visitor, a verbal
confrontation with fake or real cops can be unnerving, with the
threat of vehicle impoundment, etc., so they rule thru intimidation. One has to be quite confident, equipped with
enough Spanish to fend off these thiefs

And a dash cam
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 02:16 PM

Not to mention the window tinting issue. :cool:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 02:23 PM

Hola bajaguy,

" This has been beat to death on the Punta Banda facebook page ".

sorry, we don't do facebook and many other sites as it takes too much time.

i think even duplicating other sites posts that others may not see may be helpful to others like us.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 02:29 PM

I was amazed at how insistent the cops were.

Even speaking Spanish, I am totally intimidated. Knowing the scam sure helps.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Not to mention the window tinting issue. :cool:

Or the surfboard overhang issue

Or the dogs not being restrained issue
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2017 at 08:53 PM

Always keep and carry in Baja your last expired Drivers License for these kinda of situations.
Ask the cops if they are married, don't let up till they answer.
Tell them you will rat them out to the local Sindictura.
Remind them of their wife again and how they are going to loose their job along with getting beaten by the wife.
Worked well for me:biggrin:

Es Todo Bueno
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 05:23 AM

Un rata con dos patas.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 06:46 AM

This was checked out with the municipal police chief. Turns out these are legit cops. BEWARE of posts on the internet.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 06:59 AM

I also passed through, southbound on October 4 and Northbound on October 16. I had a heads up so I made sure I came to absolute stop each time. No problems.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 07:01 AM
dash cam

https://www.amazon.com/TOGUARD-Dashboard-Recorder-Detection-...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 07:03 AM

And in this instance not displaying any identification (badges/names), faces covered by balaclavas and demanding money on the street

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
This was checked out with the municipal police chief. Turns out these are legit cops. BEWARE of posts on the internet.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 08:29 AM

Best to hide your money only carry 200 pesos in wallet.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 09:40 AM

I usually drive through Maneadero 3-5 times a week. I have seen the "cops" riding the quad and off-road bike. I have never been pulled over by any of them.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bum deal!
I went through Maneadero twice in the past 10 days... in the afternoon on Tuesday and around midday Sunday... NO problems. Traffic is so heavy, it would be hard to pick you out as doing something different as the other cars alongside you.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
And in this instance not displaying any identification (badges/names), faces covered by balaclavas and demanding money on the street

So it was posted on the internet...therefore it must be true... Police Chief is investigating.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 10:49 AM

So it was posted on the internet...therefore it must be true... Police Chief is investigating.

He might have his hands full today with 8 bodies scattered around town
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

He might have his hands full today with 8 bodies scattered around town

in cabo or TJ that's a slow day!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.