Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: MANEADERO....BEWARE
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 04:58 PM

Two days ago we got shaken down by federal highway police just outside of Guerero Negro south bound. The posted speed limit is 80KPH or 50 MPH. We we going 65mph, a slow pace for that straight desert road considering all the other traffic. So, yep we were guilty. We had a long spirited discussion (I've been down this road before) with me hoping I could talk out of this on. Not a chance. In fact when I asked for a ticket he said sure but they would call a tow truck to take our car back to Guerero where we could pay the fine and the tow fee. They were demanding $4,300 pesos. Even showed me a chart with the fines for various infractions. I ended up talking them down to 2,000 pesos which I paid to the cop. I've tried over the years to be firm with these guys and sometimes it works. This time I felt they had the advantage (two cops, two cars).

Moral of this story is if you want to drive down here with their ridiculous speed limits, either drive very slowly and have most of the traffic wiz by you or be prepared to pay the piper.

Note; On a dark night I probably would drive that road at 50mph. Broad daylight is another story.

[Edited on 10-20-2017 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 05:17 PM

Hey Tom, almost the same story just a dozen miles north of El Rosario, last week for me. I was maybe doing near 65 in an 80 kph zone, which is slowish for me, but I wasn't in a big rush. Two cop cars, but one left as I was stopped, so it was just one (Juan). Details in my new trip report... no $$$, just a bottle of cold water!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-20-2017 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
And in this instance not displaying any identification (badges/names), faces covered by balaclavas and demanding money on the street

This was checked out with the municipal police chief. Turns out these are legit cops. BEWARE of posts on the internet.

So it was posted on the internet...therefore it must be true... Police Chief is investigating.

The people who experienced this are close friends of mine. The story is legit. Please refrain from questioning their integrity.

[Edited on 10-21-2017 by dtbushpilot]

[Edited on 10-23-2017 by BajaNomad]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 06:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
And in this instance not displaying any identification (badges/names), faces covered by balaclavas and demanding money on the street

This was checked out with the municipal police chief. Turns out these are legit cops. BEWARE of posts on the internet.

So it was posted on the internet...therefore it must be true... Police Chief is investigating.

The people who experienced this are close friends of mine. The story is legit. Please refrain from questioning their integrity.

I don't know them and the post does not carry any credentials...why should I believe what is essentially an anon post. Please refrain from believing anon posts.

cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 07:08 AM

To rts551 looks like post from anon. I was involved through messaging at time of incident in Maneadero, they just left Estero RV park. It was totally legit. They were both really upset at the time. Just rolled into Maranatha Rv Park La Paz for a couple of days. Side note road just north of Catavina to bay of LA worst since road opened in 70's. Pulling 5th wheel. Cliff
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 11:35 AM

Don't understand why some disbelieve posts because they are
not 1st hand, vetted, authoritative. There would be nothing here if that was a requirement, besides what motive would one
have to make an account like that up

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 12:01 PM

I don't know them and the post does not carry any credentials...why should I believe what is essentially an anon post. Please refrain from believing anon posts.

I guess you missed the part about them being close friends of mine, hardly anonymous. i don't know why I bother, obviously an error in judgement on my part. Please carry on....

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 01:23 PM

Thanks, Rts551, I actually believed this story the first time I briefly read it, but after reading it again, I realize it's nothing but a 3rd party, email that's very similar to bogus chain letters that are passed around everywhere.

So the corrupt Mexican cops, or real cops, had the husband beaten down, and all ready to pay, before the little wife, got out her camera, and started taking photos, causing the corrupt cops, or fake cops to back down, and let them go..

The "take away" from the story, is when confronted by possible corrupt Mexican cops, take out your camera, and start shooting.

Hell, if you tried that in the states, to a US rogue cop, you could be beaten, and if you were black, you would be shot. I'm always amazed, how ex-pats, and American tourists, are always able to take out their phones and cameras, when confronted by a Mexican cop.

Oh but this story is allegedly true, because the story supposedly checked out with the municipal police chief. Well, what's the police chief doing about it?

Others, says it's true, because they know the party who wrote the story, and they are good friends with them? OK who are they, and where are the photos?

My favorite quote comes from Sancho, who writes, " Don't understand why some disbelieve posts because they are not 1st hand, vetted, authoritative. There would be nothing here if that was a requirement, besides what motive would one have to make an account like that up."

The answer is there are lots of reasons why people make up things on the internet, and it happens all the time.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 01:33 PM

Just talked to the supposed victim in this story. After pressing him for more info he admitted that he made it all up. Fake news after all. Nothing more to see here, move along now....

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
The 'let's go to the station' tactic may work for the seasoned Baja traveler, but for the casual, inexperienced visitor, a verbal
confrontation with fake or real cops can be unnerving, with the
threat of vehicle impoundment, etc., so they rule thru intimidation. One has to be quite confident, equipped with
enough Spanish to fend off these thiefs

Not to mention how difficult it can be if you are towing something or driving something larger than Mexican city streets.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 02:01 PM

Just talked to the supposed victim in this story. After pressing him for more info he admitted that he made it all up. Fake news after all. Nothing more to see here, move along now....

David,
I have always appreciated your sarcasm....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 10:40 AM

I guess you missed the part about them being close friends of mine, hardly anonymous. i don't know why I bother, obviously an error in judgement on my part. Please carry on....

Just because they are friends of your does not mean I know them. They posted about fake cops that turn out to be not so fake. That would cause one to think twice about the whole post. Lots of BS posted on the internet...some here.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

David,
I have always appreciated your sarcasm....:biggrin:

Yes, excellent way to blow off people when you are always correct.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 10:59 AM

When I was still new to this forum, this subject came up. I reported honestly, and accurately about my shake down experiences on the west side of La Paz on my two previous trips.

A couple of the regular chicken coopers suggested that I deserved what I got for the first one, and was lying about refusing to pay the mordida, and driving away from the second one with no ticket!

Screw the coopers! Being a newbie doesn't make you a troll, but substituting your opinion for the facts reported could!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I was still new to this forum, this subject came up. I reported honestly, and accurately about my shake down experiences on the west side of La Paz on my two previous trips.

A couple of the regular chicken coopers suggested that I deserved what I got for the first one, and was lying about refusing to pay the mordida, and driving away from the second one with no ticket!

Screw the coopers! Being a newbie doesn't make you a troll, but substituting your opinion for the facts reported could!

Agree wholeheartedly.....when there are facts reported. I guess we just rely on the people here to tell us when something is factual and when not:rolleyes:
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Two days ago we got shaken down by federal highway police just outside of Guerero Negro south bound. The posted speed limit is 80KPH or 50 MPH. We we going 65mph, a slow pace for that straight desert road considering all the other traffic. So, yep we were guilty. We had a long spirited discussion (I've been down this road before) with me hoping I could talk out of this on. Not a chance. In fact when I asked for a ticket he said sure but they would call a tow truck to take our car back to Guerero where we could pay the fine and the tow fee. They were demanding $4,300 pesos. Even showed me a chart with the fines for various infractions. I ended up talking them down to 2,000 pesos which I paid to the cop. I've tried over the years to be firm with these guys and sometimes it works. This time I felt they had the advantage (two cops, two cars).

Moral of this story is if you want to drive down here with their ridiculous speed limits, either drive very slowly and have most of the traffic wiz by you or be prepared to pay the piper.

Note; On a dark night I probably would drive that road at 50mph. Broad daylight is another story.

I've seen the highway patrol running radar in the first 10-15 miles south of GN enough times that I always take it slow there or let a faster vehicle run out front. They seem to set up where there are a couple of small hills to hide them. Once south of that area I go back to my normal speed.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 01:58 PM

I was once told by a GN local that the highway patrol knocks off at 5:00 PM so I only speed after then. :saint:

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  

I've seen the highway patrol running radar in the first 10-15 miles south of GN enough times that I always take it slow there or let a faster vehicle run out front. They seem to set up where there are a couple of small hills to hide them. Once south of that area I go back to my normal speed.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I have no opinion, if your story was accurate or not when you first reported it, especially if I never read it, or don't recall reading it.

Yeah, the regular "chicken coopers" can be real idiots, especially with their passive-aggressive put downs. ( what a dumb word chicken coopers. Who gave up with those words?)

That said, how does anyone actually know if someone's post is truthful, especially if they are newbies with no track record?

The stories I tend to believe more, is the stories where American ex-pats, or tourists, actually fell victim to a corrupt Mexican cop, and gave the cop a bribe.

Reading Mexico shakedown reports not just on "Baja Nomad" but on other forums and "Facebook" as well. I would roughly say, about 80 percent of the time, the American ex-pats or tourists, according to their stories, get the upper hand on the hapless Mexican corrupt cops, and it makes in wonder why a corrupt Mexican cop would go for a bribe attempt, when they are usually on the losing end of the deal, like in the "MANEADERO----BEWARD, story.

So you just know, some of these stories are fake, and in reality, some ex-pats, quickly give into a bribe attempt, otherwise, the Mexican cops would quit trying to make easy money.

Personally I'm so sick on this " "MANEADERO----BEWARD, story! It's all over the place, and now it's over at 'Facebook" and it's getting attention.

The ex-pat women, who wrote this story, sure gives a lot of detail, but when asked, if she filed an official report to the Mexican authorities, she claims she did, but she leaves out the details about that.

[Edited on 10-22-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 03:09 PM

"Personally I'm so sick on this " "MANEADERO----BEWARD, story! It's all over the place, and now it's over at 'Facebook" and it's getting attention."

alright cool it guys.....jjj has had it! :lol:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
"Personally I'm so sick on this " "MANEADERO----BEWARD, story! It's all over the place, and now it's over at 'Facebook" and it's getting attention."

alright cool it guys.....jjj has had it! :lol:

True. This stuff feeds the paranoia and fear gringoes up North have. They talk and ask questions without doubt. ''Is Baja safe?'' ''Aren't you afraid?''

Deal with the cops, expect to negotiate. Seasoned Nomads know how to do it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.